PDA

View Full Version : new patch on gog

edorien
July 6th, 2012, 17:37
I rarely post here, but gog.com has just released a NEW patch to fix compatibility issues

Hapuga
July 7th, 2012, 04:39
I rarely post here, but gog.com has just released a NEW patch to fix compatibility issues

No s**t??? Does it mean those guys have source code?

And yes, when u post things like that always link (http://www.gog.com/news/update_dungeon_keeper_2_and_the_witcher_12)!

EDIT:

Confirmed. The new patch makes the game run smoothly.

Bad news, however. They use version 1.7, as I feared. This means - retarded AI in skirmish. Imp fights. Yay.

I wonder if I should write them a nice letter about the limitations of their contract with EA. Maybe we can work this out somehow. If they have access to game code, we may have a very small chance of convincing them to fix the AI issue or provide us with SDK. A nearly zero chance, mind you. However, looks like it's the best we can get now after all these years.

EDIT2:

Editor is also of the "latest" version, meaning no hatchery/lair. I desperately tried to do some hex editing on the files, trying to make the in-game variables work (keeper variables) - failed miserably. This game version is fubar.

EDIT3:

Interesting finding I just did. As a matter of fact, the maps totally IGNORE the (mapname)Variables.kld file. The game checks for the file existence, but it never uses the contents! I blanked out (NULL'ed) the whole file and guess what? The game worked perfectly fine. However, when you create a GLOBALS file, they use DEFAULT values of keeper properties, even if you modify the keeper. The keeper properties are correctly saved to the Variables file. If you do not create the global file, the game will read the default global file.

In simple words: whatever you do, the game will never see the changes for the keeper. What kind of retarded s**t is that.

Game file load priority:

Globals (map, stores DEFAULT Variables for keeper, never modifies them)
Variables (that do not work, store PROPER modification to the keeper)
Globals (default, stores all stuff in the world)

There is a possibility that I am wrong, and the Globals do not store the Variables for keeper. Then the priority is as following:

Globals (map, stores units, objects, spells, but not keepers)
a. Globals (default, stores all stuff in the world (including the keeper)
b. Hardcoded Variables (this file may exist inside the game code, in this case, it stores all Variables info about keepers, default Globals doesn't)

In any scenario, these are the logical conclusions:

a. keeper properties are modified and saved correctly (unlike was thought before, editor DOES make the changes to the file)
b. the Variables file is never used, because another file has a higher priority, or the external read command fails on the file

Possible solutions:

a. find and modify the Variable/Global file in resources permanently
b. find a way to make the external Variables file readable.

edorien
July 7th, 2012, 07:14
it appears they have embedded the original exe inside a wrapper that only redirects the graphics calls, so its unlikely they have the source code

Hapuga
July 7th, 2012, 07:16
This makes me an even sadder panda.

helsinkiharbour
July 14th, 2012, 11:34
No s**t??? Does it mean those guys have source code?

And yes, when u post things like that always link (http://www.gog.com/news/update_dungeon_keeper_2_and_the_witcher_12)!

EDIT:

Confirmed. The new patch makes the game run smoothly.

Bad news, however. They use version 1.7, as I feared. This means - retarded AI in skirmish. Imp fights. Yay.

I wonder if I should write them a nice letter about the limitations of their contract with EA. Maybe we can work this out somehow. If they have access to game code, we may have a very small chance of convincing them to fix the AI issue or provide us with SDK. A nearly zero chance, mind you. However, looks like it's the best we can get now after all these years.

EDIT2:

Editor is also of the "latest" version, meaning no hatchery/lair. I desperately tried to do some hex editing on the files, trying to make the in-game variables work (keeper variables) - failed miserably. This game version is fubar.

EDIT3:

Interesting finding I just did. As a matter of fact, the maps totally IGNORE the (mapname)Variables.kld file. The game checks for the file existence, but it never uses the contents! I blanked out (NULL'ed) the whole file and guess what? The game worked perfectly fine. However, when you create a GLOBALS file, they use DEFAULT values of keeper properties, even if you modify the keeper. The keeper properties are correctly saved to the Variables file. If you do not create the global file, the game will read the default global file.

In simple words: whatever you do, the game will never see the changes for the keeper. What kind of retarded s**t is that.

Game file load priority:

Globals (map, stores DEFAULT Variables for keeper, never modifies them)
Globals (default, stores all stuff in the world)

There is a possibility that I am wrong, and the Globals do not store the Variables for keeper. Then the priority is as following:

Globals (map, stores units, objects, spells, but not keepers)
a. Globals (default, stores all stuff in the world (including the keeper)
b. Hardcoded Variables (this file may exist inside the game code, in this case, it stores all Variables info about keepers, default Globals doesn't)

In any scenario, these are the logical conclusions:

a. keeper properties are modified and saved correctly (unlike was thought before, editor DOES make the changes to the file)
b. the Variables file is never used, because another file has a higher priority, or the external read command fails on the file

Possible solutions:

a. find and modify the Variable/Global file in resources permanently
b. find a way to make the external Variables file readable.

The patch was made by timeslip, a well known reverse-engineering hacker and modder who fixed many games.
See his personal page here: http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/, he made fixes for fallout, morrowind, crimson skies etc...

Timeslip is also pretty active on the gog forum (e.g. in this post for the DK2 patch http://www.gog.com/en/forum/dungeon_keeper_series/so_how_is_the_new_dungeon_keeper_2_patch_working) and gives support there for his patch(es). I think he will be intrested in well-founded technical feed-back and potentially also willing in fixing regressions and other annoyences with the 1.7 version. cheers!

DragonsLover
July 22nd, 2012, 18:50
Interesting. I think it could be worth a try to ask him for his help, if he accepts.

Hapuga
July 22nd, 2012, 19:56
Interesting. I think it could be worth a try to ask him for his help, if he accepts.

Well, if somebody will contribute to the list of things that need to be fixed in 1.7, I will contribute. Looks like that after 13 years there might be hope :)

helsinkiharbour
August 3rd, 2012, 10:11
Ok, as first small step into the ultimate fixed version, I identified the changes in the GOG 1.7 version. Seems just 5 bytes "ddraw" to "patch" (the wrapper DLL by timeslip). After introducing this redirect into a 1.73 and 1.8 version exe, both seems to work well with the gog installation and timeslip's wrapper DLL. So we can have the fixes of timeslip and the 1.73 together now. :)
http://keeperklan.com/threads/1051-Unlimited-Zoom-Out-aka-Supreme-Keeper-)?p=39952&viewfull=1#post39952 (I tried to also 1.3 but this seemed not to work...)

Hapuga
August 3rd, 2012, 11:38
Use 1.3 and 1.51, please. F**ck 1.73 and semi-patch 1.8.

helsinkiharbour
August 3rd, 2012, 12:18
I was not able to run 1.3 at all (this version (http://keeperklan.com/threads/128-Download-Dungeon-Keeper-2-v1-3-here?p=603&viewfull=1#post603)), the on-start-black-screen-and-instant-back-to-desktop-problem. I'm not sure what's the reason as I tried the several workarounds which are floating around in the web. The only version which worked for me is the timeslip patched one. And the 1.3 exe seems not work with the timeslip's patch.dll. Version 1.51 I didn't tried up to now (some direct link to exe somewhere?).

Beside, can you please test if the unlimited zoom works with your working 1.3 installation? (still need someone to check the bytes, see here (http://keeperklan.com/threads/1051-Unlimited-Zoom-Out-aka-Supreme-Keeper-)?p=39958&viewfull=1#post39958))

Hapuga
August 3rd, 2012, 21:02
I was not able to run 1.3 at all (this version (http://keeperklan.com/threads/128-Download-Dungeon-Keeper-2-v1-3-here?p=603&viewfull=1#post603)), the on-start-black-screen-and-instant-back-to-desktop-problem. I'm not sure what's the reason as I tried the several workarounds which are floating around in the web. The only version which worked for me is the timeslip patched one. And the 1.3 exe seems not work with the timeslip's patch.dll. Version 1.51 I didn't tried up to now (some direct link to exe somewhere?).

Beside, can you please test if the unlimited zoom works with your working 1.3 installation? (still need someone to check the bytes, see here (http://keeperklan.com/threads/1051-Unlimited-Zoom-Out-aka-Supreme-Keeper-)?p=39958&viewfull=1#post39958))

I will upload 1.3 and 1.51 exes in a few days

DragonsLover
August 4th, 2012, 03:29
Yeah, it seems the GOG patch is only based upon 1.7 version. The executable is the same like the original 1.7, but without the mention of being unsafedisced and by altering the ddraw to become patch.

Is the "patch.dll" compatible with versions below 1.7? I doubt it.

helsinkiharbour
August 4th, 2012, 08:34
Yeah, it seems the GOG patch is only based upon 1.7 version. The executable is the same like the original 1.7, but without the mention of being unsafedisced and by altering the ddraw to become patch.

Is the "patch.dll" compatible with versions below 1.7? I doubt it.

yupp, my tests with the 1.3 and the patch.dll were not successful ... but incompatiblity is not obvious (or natural) as the patch.dll is only catching ddraw calls, which could/should be the same for all DKII versions. Maybe 1.51 is similar enough ...

[EDIT]
after some further testing, I was able to start the game WITH the patch.dll until the intro movies.

-32BITEVERYTHING + renaming to DKII.exe (some windows shims seems related to exactly this name).
In the DKII message log I got this error: Screen Mode 16*7630152 1308712bpp is not availableScreen Mode 16*7630152 1308712bpp is not available (but it seems to continue)

Then it crashes with this windows application log message: Faulting application dkii.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module dkii.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00121360.

Which is the same message with and without the patch.dll for DKII 1.3 on my system (ATI GPU + XP), the version 1.3 seems not to work at all at my system.

Ðârk Âñgêl
August 10th, 2012, 01:35
Do you really can play this game without crashes now?
I mean it was told 100 times before and it never worked. But now, does this patch really solve the exe error?

helsinkiharbour
August 10th, 2012, 08:29
At least it seems to solve most graphic related problems with the 1.7 version (but more testing with more systems might be needed to give a final answer here).

If this GOG wrapper is working/helping with the here popular 1.3 is still unclear, as the version 1.3 is not running at all on my system. (I patched a 1.3 exe to use the GOG wrapper DLL but the problem persists, potentially not graphic related. If someone else want to try, the exe is here: http://keeperklan.com/threads/1051-Unlimited-Zoom-Out-aka-Supreme-Keeper-%29/page3?p=39958&viewfull=1#post39958)

Deadworker
August 10th, 2012, 20:20
and how am i able to get this patch without buying dungeon keeper 2 on GoG.com?

DragonsLover
August 10th, 2012, 21:32
On DK.net, we did make it available for download: get it here (http://dungeon-keeper.net/images/fbfiles/files/DK2GOGPatch.rar).

Deadworker
August 12th, 2012, 14:49
thank you so much, just awesome. i was very upset cause it was only made for the guys who bought dungeonkeeper 2 on gog.com.

helsinkiharbour
August 12th, 2012, 15:29
Come one guys! GOG paid someone (timeslip) for fixing this, so they created a real extra-value to DKII which was not available before!

Also, they really care about old classics when no one else is caring for such games, neither original developers nor publisher. So, pirating the patch to save 5.99$ for the game + and this great fix is not only cheap, it might be also counter-productive for all gamers in the long run. It's a de-motivating signal to GOG that investing time and money ressources on fixing problems in this and other games is not appreciated and respected by gamers. :/

Hapuga
August 12th, 2012, 18:23
Come one guys! GOG paid someone (timeslip) for fixing this, so they created a real extra-value to DKII which was not available before!

Also, they really care about old classics when no one else is caring for such games, neither original developers nor publisher. So, pirating the patch to save 5.99$ for the game + and this great fix is not only cheap, it might be also counter-productive for all gamers in the long run. It's a de-motivating signal to GOG that investing time and money ressources on fixing problems in this and other games is not appreciated and respected by gamers. :/

It's a pity they've invested this time and money in a wrong DK2 version. 1.7, whatever graphics patches may it have, was, and will be: crap.

DragonsLover
August 13th, 2012, 00:46

Afaik, making the patch available won't prevent people to buy the game if they want to since they need the game to use it. If they have the original game, it's a shame for them to not be able to take advantage of it since, heck, they've already bought the game back in the old time. They're like forced to buy the game another time.

helsinkiharbour
August 13th, 2012, 11:50
Afaik, making the patch available won't prevent people to buy the game if they want to since they need the game to use it. If they have the original game, it's a shame for them to not be able to take advantage of it since, heck, they've already bought the game back in the old time. They're like forced to buy the game another time.

I can understand the feeling: "heck, I already bought it on CD so why should I buy it twice?", but the GOG version is not the version you bought decades ago. The original product was not tested and programed for modern hardware and Windows variants beyond 2000 (?), product support was discontinued long ago, it is a completly obsolete product. The refurbished version from GOG is a new product with NEW features and qualities (which costed time and ressources to GOG): they seached and talked with the rights holder and allow you now to purchase DKII again, they offer real product support again, they tested the compatiblity for different newer hardware and software platforms and created and included comptiblity fixes, also they provide a digital download which can be seen as "cloud" backup.

So I think it is acceptable to see the GOG-DKII version as new product which deserves the 5.99$ (and is also worth it).
Also, gamers should support a digital distributor which try to survive economical while respecting the gamers (no-DRM) and the art of PC gaming itself (supporting and reviving classics, including "non-streamlined" indie PC games for "non-semi-morons"). Who see this not as just a business where it is fine to use every law-allowed but unethical method to maximize profits (like EA's origin etc... ).

DragonsLover
August 13th, 2012, 13:08
I can understand the feeling: "heck, I already bought it on CD so why should I buy it twice?", but the GOG version is not the version you bought decades ago. The original product was not tested and programed for modern hardware and Windows variants beyond 2000 (?), product support was discontinued long ago, it is a completly obsolete product. The refurbished version from GOG is a new product with NEW features and qualities (which costed time and ressources to GOG): they seached and talked with the rights holder and allow you now to purchase DKII again, they offer real product support again, they tested the compatiblity for different newer hardware and software platforms and created and included comptiblity fixes, also they provide a digital download which can be seen as "cloud" backup.

The GOG version not the same version like the old one? A new product with new features and qualities? To my eyes, it's the freaking same game. They only built a new patch which fixes the hardware acceleration problem along with removing SafeDisc which can already be done on the original game. Nothing more, nothing less. Otherwise, I really don't see what other new features you're talking about.

helsinkiharbour
August 13th, 2012, 13:47
The GOG version not the same version like the old one? A new product with new features and qualities? To my eyes, it's the freaking same game. They only built a new patch which fixes the hardware acceleration problem along with removing SafeDisc which can already be done on the original game. Nothing more, nothing less. Otherwise, I really don't see what other new features you're talking about.

Qualities provided by GOG release:
- Official republished -> again legally available you don't have to pirate it (or search ebay for dusty cds)
- Official DRM free -> "the good feeling of doing it the correct way" and still having it in the most convenient form
- Support service -> you can blame them/ask them for support, and the really react
- central Download/Backup -> centralized backup solution, you don't have to care for backups
- compatility Updates/testing -> Patches and adaption for new hardware and platforms, it runs on your hardware and platform!

While I can see that many of this points are not relevant to you, the last points stays: GOG extended the game for a new platform beyond the original platform capabilites. It's not the game anymore, as it was envisioned by bullfrog with a fixed and limited product live-cycle and aimed platform.

DragonsLover
August 14th, 2012, 04:20
Yeah, okay, I don't counter that. It's a good thing they officially republish the game and get a support service along with providing a centralized site to download, but we're talking here of people who still own legally their original game and who don't really care of all that. It's just to make their new patch available for that people since they don't really want to buy the game another time just for getting it, especially when their patch is based on a version of the game that somewhat sucks. Indeed, some older versions of that game work better. It's like if the latest patches of Bullfrog scrap the game a bit.

You may think it's not the same version, but it is. The game by itself ALREADY WORKS for modern OS. Yeah, it works. If you manage to do some tweaks and use the correct version of the game, you could make the game totally playable.
Here, they simply altered something on DirectDraw. That's the ONLY adaptation thing they did. Probably that, if someone here would have the same knowledge about DirectDraw, a similar patch could have been made for the original version of the game.

You said GOG provided compatibility and updates? Well they have to work better than that because there's a huge HUGE list of things to be fixed in that scraped game.

On a final note, we even provide the full DK2 game on DK.net. Oh my god, are we against GOG? NO! The version we offer is the multilingual one where GOG only provides the english game. On some French abandonware websites, they even provide the Gold edition of the first Dungeon Keeper since it's accepted. Same thing applies for DK2 on DK.net. Yeah, it may affects sales on GOG, but that's not our problem. So, I don't see how it is that important just for a freaking little patch.

NLZ
November 3rd, 2012, 11:49
So anyone tried to speak with timeslip to make a fix for 1.3?

Bj007pro
July 3rd, 2013, 07:21
Use 1.3 and 1.51, please. F**ck 1.73 and semi-patch 1.8.

What's your problem?!

Metal Gear Rex
July 3rd, 2013, 07:48
What's your problem?!

1.7/1.73 and 1.8 suck, basically. 1.3 and 1.51 are much better.

Bj007pro
July 3rd, 2013, 07:51
1.7/1.73 and 1.8 suck, basically. 1.3 and 1.51 are much better.

Why Though??? :confused:

Metal Gear Rex
July 3rd, 2013, 08:01
Why Though??? :confused:

Biggest issue that comes to mind is the general fact that 1.7, the latest official version of the game has completely broken multiplayer and requires use of an unofficial patch to work. This issue is more something that just reflects how bad the patch is in itself.

1.7/3 has completely retarded AI and also a less stable game, causing much more frequent crashing. The new features aren't really that great as Elites are OP, Maiden isn't impressive, and the Jack-in-the-Box Trap is also OP in its own ways or depending on the situation. Uninteresting otherwise. Mercenaries are also limited to 3 maps only so not really a general plus when you look at the big picture.

I'm sure there's plenty of other issues and smaller things I'm missing but those are some of the main points. I haven't played 1.7 in a long time so I've forgotten the other issues. I also have limited information on the 1.8 patch but I know Hapuga knows better than I on that. I also know he's more familiar with the AI differences between the game versions.

helsinkiharbour
November 13th, 2013, 18:36
If anyone knows the details of how exactly Good Old Games fixed the graphics through the executable with their patch .DLL, I'd be very interested.
You can ask timeslip.
http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/

She is also around at the gog forum.

Keeper_Dave
November 24th, 2013, 16:23
Re: Getting GOG DKII to 1.5

If I may, Wyrmcast, give the same advice here as in the other post (since it's more relevant here and I don't want to bother Skarok anymore ^^; ).

I basically installed the newest GOG DKII (payed for it when the 1st GOG version came out, the updated version is free after that.), then followed Wyrmcast's GIM (http://keeperklan.com/threads/3417-General-Improvement-Mod-A-New-Unofficial-Patch-for-DK2?p=44600&viewfull=1#post44600) (General Improvement Mod) manual installation instructions, except step 3. Load the DKII.exe, not anything else. Seems to work out of the box like that. I also add ' -32bitdisplay -32bittextures -nointmouse' to a shortcut of DKII.exe. If you encounter a black screen due to the hardware acceleration, this (http://keeperklan.com/threads/1212-Dungeon-Keeper-II-How-I-got-it-running-with-Hardware-Acceleration-turned-on-in-win7) is a work around, but only works if you have a NVIDIA Control Panel afaik.

The result is... Great stability, it never crashes. I can crank it up to 1024x768 with 32-bit colour settings AND it retains the hardware acceleration. Plus best of all I get the old 1.5 Keeper AI which is much better then 1.7.

My system is:
win7 pro x64
nvidia geforce GTX 660

EDIT: ALSO, with 1.5, you can play the awesome and new The Kasabian Campaign (http://keeperklan.com/threads/3123-The-Kasabian-Campaign-Episode-1) and Rex's redesign of the original DKII campaign levels (http://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=97). Both very challenging and fresh. :)

Csimbi
April 27th, 2014, 07:00
I have:
WinDOS x64
Geforce GTX 650

I am playing in 1920*1080.

Did not have any issues thus far, except for no text in the in-game menus at all (just icons).

Playing the Kasabian Campaign at the moment - and loving it.

el_marto
May 9th, 2014, 22:34
Hello People,

first of all, thank you for this great thread! It helped me to get this classic running again! (sort of)

If I could revive this thread a bit, I'm starting to get a bit deperated with it... as it keeps crashing on me. I think it's nothing with graphics as I managed to get till mission 12 without stop. But then... no matter if with missions or skirmish, it keeps crashing on me after 3-5 minutes of gaming...

I've attached the windows error report:

Name of the app: DKII-dx.exe,
Version: 0.0.0.0,
Timestamp: 0x00000000
Name of the module: DKII-dx.exe,
Version: 0.0.0.0,

Errorcode: 0xc0000005

Error offset: 0x00192b9d
ID of the error process: 0x16ac

Please excuse the quick translation, it's in german...

I updated everything and did a memcheck (8GB), as the error suposes a wrong / bad memory usage (normally)...
I've tried the 1.7/3 , 1.8 doesn't actually really work and the GOG fix actually enables me to play with HW acceleration (shared ATI/Intel on laptop) but looks kinda crappier and still crashes.
All regedits and additional commands on the shortcut applied, compatibilities and stuff cross checked.
Win COmpatibility fix doesn't help much, Xp Mode doesn't even start.
Single core designation of my i5...

I admit, I'm a bit lazy to get a '98 SE VM to run and try there, but starting to feel it's the only possibility... it's a shame because it works actually pretty well... just I suspect it happens with map bigger then 90x90...

Anyone having this?

Appreciate the help!

@Moderators: please excuse that this is kinda Thread hijacking, but didn't knew if this deserves an extra thread plus I didn't find anything similar...

Cheers,

I