PDA

View Full Version : DKII.exe has stopped working and needs to be closed

Daan Dankers
January 16th, 2013, 13:35
Hello fellow Masters of Evil!

I got the GOG game of DK2 about a week ago, and sometimes it keeps crashing for no reason.
The game stops, I return to my desktop and I get a message that DKII.exe has stopped working.
This offen happens when I'm clicking on something (sometimes just when I press the 'save' button)
But it also happens when I'm just moving my mouse, training in the combat pit or doing something else. Just anytime.

I'm on version 1.7.
Windows 7 64-bit laptop (service pack 1)
quad core i7 @2.0gb intel processor
4GB of ram

I tried everything I know what to do. Hardware acceleration was already off when I checked and there is no safedisk included as far as I know.

Are there any other things I can do about that? Maybe I should run the game in Virtal PC?

Thank you in advance ^^

Something else: Is there a feature so that the game saves itself lets say every 5 minutes? this would also be a good solution!

A dutch DK2 player who played this game for years and never found out there was a forum for such an old game :)

Reason for editing: added the smiley on the bottom end of the post correctly :)

Daan Dankers
January 16th, 2013, 20:55
Okay so I quick saved a couple times, and the game just crashed 1 minute after i quick saved. but how do I quick load the game? they aren't in my saved games files :o

DragonsLover
January 16th, 2013, 21:13
Have you downloaded the GOG DK2 patch?

Daan Dankers
January 17th, 2013, 15:32
I don't know.. They didn't ask for an update. Where Can I find this update? on the gog.com website?

I found this on the gogwiki

Edit1:
Official patches:
The game is already patched up to the latest official version.

http://www.gogwiki.com/wiki/Dungeon_Keeper_2#Official_overview

Edit2:
Should I download the 1.8 patch?

edit3:
I did some research and I downloaded VMware with Windows XP.
I also downloaded Dungeon Keeper 2 Silver Edition, just to check if the game would work. It didn't.
It had exact the same problem as I have with DK2 GOG on windows 7. Is there something wrong with my PC?
I have an Nvdia GT540M videocard if someone needs to know :P

DragonsLover
January 17th, 2013, 22:20
No I'm not talking about the 1.8 unofficial patch. I'm talking about this (http://www.gog.com/forum/dungeon_keeper_series/dungeon_keeper_2_hardware_acceleration_fix_is_now_ live/page1). It's even written in the wiki you provided.

Daan Dankers
January 20th, 2013, 19:37
I don't think so.. I cant find it anywhere on the internet. I can't use the GOG updater because I downloaded it using torrents. Is it possible to download it anywhere?

Also: do you think the problems will stop if I completely remove Dungeon Keeper from my PC and only play it on windows XP using VMware (not the GOG version, just the normal game with 1.7 patch)

Daan Dankers
January 20th, 2013, 21:42
Just had another crash. I started a pretty big (unofficial) map, and everything went fine. But then I was killing the other keeper, and the game crashed again. I think it has something to do with the size/number of things on the map.. It looks like it doesn't crash on small maps (level 1 campaign etc.), but only on the big ones I play for a long time..

DragonsLover
January 21st, 2013, 07:33
Read this if you haven't already (http://keeperklan.com/threads/654-PLEASE-READ-THIS-TOPIC-BEFORE-POSTING)

Daan Dankers
January 22nd, 2013, 17:04
thank you for that thread.

- There is no SafeDisk included in my version as far as I know, so I can't remove it. (How do I know I have it? There is no "safedisk" message/image when I open DK2)
- All my drivers are up to date
- Hardware Acceleration is off
- When I download Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit, step 6-10 doesn't exist in my version.. The options it says there should be aren't there. So I litterally checked every box there was (366 to be exact) and ran a test game. The game worked a bit longer but it still crashed.
- When I don't use a compatibility mode, the game won't start.
- I used Virtual PC: didn't work. VMWare windows 98: the game didn't start VMWare windows XP: same problem as I have now.
- When I disable cores from my processor, the game still crashes. When I open the game again it uses all the available cores though..

So nothing really helped.. I might have a PC with windows XP on it somewhere in the house (no dual boot or virtual PC, just plain windows XP)
Do you think I can run the game on that PC? I don't know the specifications so I can't tell anything more about it but I think it's single core.

Any other methods? I tried googling it but it didn't really help..

Daan Dankers
January 25th, 2013, 18:17
Any other solutions? Or do I just plain suck with this?

el_marto
May 9th, 2014, 22:31
Hello People,

first of all, thank you for this great thread! It helped me to get this classic running again! (sort of)

If I could revive this thread a bit, I'm starting to get a bit deperated with it... as it keeps crashing on me. I think it's nothing with graphics as I managed to get till mission 12 without stop. But then... no matter if with missions or skirmish, it keeps crashing on me after 3-5 minutes of gaming...

I've attached the windows error report:

Name of the app: DKII-dx.exe,
Version: 0.0.0.0,
Timestamp: 0x00000000
Name of the module: DKII-dx.exe,
Version: 0.0.0.0,

Errorcode: 0xc0000005

Error offset: 0x00192b9d
ID of the error process: 0x16ac

Please excuse the quick translation, it's in german...

I updated everything and did a memcheck (8GB), as the error suposes a wrong / bad memory usage (normally)...
I've tried the 1.7/3 , 1.8 doesn't actually really work and the GOG fix actually enables me to play with HW acceleration (shared ATI/Intel on laptop) but looks kinda crappier and still crashes.
All regedits and additional commands on the shortcut applied, compatibilities and stuff cross checked.
Win COmpatibility fix doesn't help much, Xp Mode doesn't even start.
Single core designation of my i5...

I admit, I'm a bit lazy to get a '98 SE VM to run and try there, but starting to feel it's the only possibility... it's a shame because it works actually pretty well... just I suspect it happens with map bigger then 90x90...

Anyone having this?

Appreciate the help!

Cheers,

I