PDA

View Full Version : Trouble modding creature spells in KeeperFX.

Baelrog
January 23rd, 2013, 18:29
Hello everyone,
Recently I once again felt the strong desire to return to DK1. I found the KeeperFX mod and installed it, awesome stuff, loving it. However, I would like to modify some of the creatures stats and spells. So, I started modifying some abilities in the creatrs folder (since the creature.txt is no longer being used?). Unfortunately, whenever I made a change the creature (in game) just lost the ability I tried to replace, but it didn't receive the new one. An example:

Warlock, trying to replace lvl2 Fireball with Poison Cloud.
; Creature powers (spells), and the creature level at which they're given (max 10 spells).
Powers = SWING_WEAPON_FIST FIREBALL HEAL FIRE_BOMB INVISIBILITY NAVIGATING_MISSILE SIGHT WIND REBOUND WORD_OF_POWER
PowersLevelRequired = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

; Creature powers (spells), and the creature level at which they're given (max 10 spells).
Powers = SWING_WEAPON_FIST POISON_CLOUD HEAL FIRE_BOMB INVISIBILITY NAVIGATING_MISSILE SIGHT WIND REBOUND WORD_OF_POWER
PowersLevelRequired = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

I started the Ancient Keeper campaign.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

2nd Q; Are there conflicting problems when a creature learns the same ability twice? For example 2x Word of Power.

Baelrog
January 23rd, 2013, 18:43
I just noticed KeeperFX has its own forum, sorry for misplacing. If a mod could move this, I would be grateful.

Update as well: I just found out that the spell is actually replaced, it just doesnt show in the creatures menu. I used the warlock in the ancient keeper campaign as a test unit.

friscmanseby
January 23rd, 2013, 19:03
1) Creatures.txt is no longer used. Now every creature has its own .cfg file.
2) Beware: some spells have different name from that you see in the game: for example Metor is FIRE_BOMB, a little bit like some creatures that have different names.
3) No, you can learn an ability twice, but it's just useless since, just to make an example with twice Heal (2nd an 3rd position) if you use the mana for Heal (3rd position) you will use even the mana for Heal (2nd position), and the charge rate will be the same. The only advantage you will gain using both SWING_WEAPON_SWORD and SWING_WEAPON_FIST, because even if they have the same effect, they aren't the same magic.
4) Some campaigns have their own settings, because they're thought with those settings (for example Ancient Keeper was thought with original DK settings while in KeeperFX they changed a bit), so if you want to mod the AK campaign you will have to go in the folder where are the ancient keeper settings (they're all in "campaigns" folder). Beware: some campaigns still have in their level folder the creatures.txt: you will have to bring it and make the cfg files from that creatures.txt (I've done it for the campaigns that are in the 0.40, I will upload it when the forum will let me again to upload things). Moreover, the new nightly builds of FX (they're a kind of beta version of new releases) have the options to have it's own general rules (so their own magic.cfg, trapdoor.cfg etcetera). I hope I've asked all your questions, if you have more, feel free to ask again :)

Baelrog
January 23rd, 2013, 21:57
1) Hmmm, I liked the creature.txt because you could use very convenient tools to edit them.
2) Yes, I have noticed that. Took my some time to find the warlock (sorcerer.cfg) actually :P
3) So, just to be sure, if you have identical spells they will share cooldown? That would be too bad.
4) Ahh, this explains a lot, got it.

Thanks for the clear explanation, appreciate it.

friscmanseby
January 23rd, 2013, 23:14
1) Those tools let you edit WAY less you can find in cfg files, and are way easier to understand than creatures.txt without the editor...
2) Nothing to add :)
3) Yes they share the cool down, except SWING_WEAPON_SWORD and SWING_WEAPON_FIST (both versions of Melee attack)
4) Yes :)

Baelrog
January 24th, 2013, 22:32
Hmm, still having troubles with modding. I tried to mod the .CFG files, then I went to play a deeper dungeon map, but the changes haven't applied at all..
I cant find the right file to mod. Any advice?

friscmanseby
January 24th, 2013, 22:55
Yes: in the 0.40 version (and, I suppose, all the older ones) when you exit from a DD level you will see an Island, that island correspond to a campaign :the last you've played and the one of which you are using the settings: so I suggest you: Mod the general creatures config files, enter in Eversmile (after starting the Original Campaign), exit from Eversmile and then you'll play in DD with all the change you made. Otherwise, if you think that you'll never play a certain campaign, do your mods from the settings of that campaign and then play DD within that campaign...

Baelrog
January 26th, 2013, 00:16
Thanks, that indeed did the job.