PDA

View Full Version : Favourite creature to transfer

Hades
June 9th, 2013, 14:43
What's your favourite creature to transfer?

Metal Gear Rex
June 9th, 2013, 15:16
The Imp. Sometimes it's nice to have an extra worker and it doesn't cost me any extra either so it makes it a pretty good choice. It's also good to get a Tunneller if that option is available.

Hades
June 9th, 2013, 17:10
The Imp. Sometimes it's nice to have an extra worker and it doesn't cost me any extra either so it makes it a pretty good choice. It's also good to get a Tunneller if that option is available.

I didn't know you could transfer an imp to the next realm in DK1.

Metal Gear Rex
June 9th, 2013, 17:34
I didn't know you could transfer an imp to the next realm in DK1.

You can't.

Hades
June 9th, 2013, 17:58
But in all honesty, I'm torn between:

:samurai: - Decent, hard-hitting ranged and capable of research. Like a cross between an :orc: and a :mistress:. Still weaker than the other two though.
:horny: - :samurai: - the range, but more health and strength. However, expensive as fuck (especially with limited resources at the start) and psychotic.
:dragon: - extremely intelligent and deadly when possessed with a lot of health. However, not good when you are facing enemies that need to be dead quick.
:lord: - Not as fast or durable as :horny:, but still packs a punch and a decent researcher.

Mothrayas
June 9th, 2013, 18:05
I remember making a DD map for the express purpose of transferring a L10 Avatar (or any other unit) to any map.

That said, in legitimate playthroughs, I most commonly transferred L10 Fairies. They had a pretty good pool of abilities (research, flight, invisibility, rebound, freeze, pretty good combat support provided they don't get hit, etc) and were pretty low-maintenance.

Now, if entirely for practical purposes, it'd probably be a Vampire/Dragon/Mistress. Dunno really, depends on circumstances.

Jackie82
June 10th, 2013, 10:05
:mistress: I think it's a lot useful. She can research, work, and she's a great fighter. One mistress can take care of two :lord: in the same moment - she need a long fight but she'll win. Otherwise, i say :samurai: cause he's a great fighter, he doesn't need a lot of Ore in the payday and has Freeze spell, very useful.

VoidWeaver
June 10th, 2013, 12:09
:fairy: for her set of deadly spells and good default movement speed.
:monk: for Hailstorm with highest Luck and good overall battle caracteristics or :wizard: as him alternative with Freeze and Rebound, which compensating his lack battle caracteristics.
:vampire: for greatful map tricking or crowd control (Wind+WoP+Teleport), high survivability and his ability to cheat endless gold.
:mistress: when possible if i lazy or has chance insta-win.

TBC_x
June 10th, 2013, 13:35
High level priestess as she's good at soloing out early waves of enemies. She saved me from restart a couple of times.

Hades
June 10th, 2013, 13:41
I'd pick :horny: Can do research in a pinch and can cut down most enemies quickly.

VoidWeaver
June 10th, 2013, 14:11
High level priestess as she's good at soloing out early waves of enemies. She saved me from restart a couple of times.
Agreed, but only if you constantly control her by himself, otherwise she may create additional troubles. Actually i think what she might be more usefull without Poison Cloud spell. Iirc, specialy thread about her is on forum.

Hades
June 10th, 2013, 14:47
Yeah, the :wind: spell is fucking broken.

Galador
June 10th, 2013, 16:01
I'd probably go for the Wizard :wizard:. He's the best researcher, he has Freeze and can deflect enemy spells.

DragonsLover
June 17th, 2013, 13:26
It depends of the level, in fact. You'll always pick the strongest minion. In order, it could be something like: :avatar: :horny: :lord: :samurai: :mistress: :giant: and so on, something like that.

The Avatar would be obvious, but only if you have him in your army which is rather rare. In DK1 original campaign, you can't get him to transfer.
Horny would be a good choice, but only if you can handle him with care at the beginning of the next level. Build a lair and hatchery quick and mine tons of gold! It's a so-so choice.
The Knight would be my choice, then it would be the Samurai.

Duke Ragereaver
June 23rd, 2013, 20:57
A high Vampire all the way, although in the original DK1 campaign that pretty much guarantees victory in a level since he's practically invincible.

Edit: Poll closed, awww. :(

Noanechu
November 30th, 2013, 01:33
Most times the knight. I transferred one through all levels where the transfer was available and therefore could most times destroy all enemy keepers shortly after beginning ;) . Too sad that the transferred creature seems to be created newly after the start of every level with new name and stats, it would be really interesting to know how many creatures he has killed after beating all the levels.

Shonji
December 29th, 2013, 05:27
Personally I liked the Mistress and Orc. Both cheap, both extremely powerful. Horny is never worth it to me since he is a pain in the ass until you get a temple which is at the very end of the list of research. Vampires I never liked since while they were practically unkillable, they also didn't really do much damage, once they got drain, that would be all they ever used, which isn't that strong. A mistress would win in a 1 on 1 battle. You are pretty much trading off for a mistress that is a better researcher and can never die, and has jack shit for damage. That is my view on Vampires. I never bothered with Heroes so yeah.

I love the Mistress due to her being a decent researcher, I have had many times where a large chunk of research is already done by the time warlocks start coming in. Her lightning and drain are extremely powerful, with her lightning doing the damage and drain healing, plus speed which ups her damage even more for a short time. Unless she is getting ganged by a lot of enemies, she will often win the battle. And the bonus of using teleport if she is low on health is a +. But this isn't surprising since everyone knows that whoever had the most Mistresses in DK1 was often the winner.

Orc I feel is often underrated. He hits like a truck, he hits even faster with speed. He can keep up with fast enemies like fairies,mistresses and usually take them out way before he falls. He is a good manufacturer. Often times I will get a 5x5 Workshop made and throw him in there to start pumping out the most expensive item I can sell. Which makes the difference in some levels where money is an issue.

Metal Gear Rex
December 29th, 2013, 06:44
I love the Mistress due to her being a decent researcher, I have had many times where a large chunk of research is already done by the time warlocks start coming in. Her lightning and drain are extremely powerful, with her lightning doing the damage and drain healing, plus speed which ups her damage even more for a short time. Unless she is getting ganged by a lot of enemies, she will often win the battle. And the bonus of using teleport if she is low on health is a +. But this isn't surprising since everyone knows that whoever had the most Mistresses in DK1 was often the winner.

I've grown to dislike using Mistresses simply because they feel pretty blatantly OP. Though I did use them more frequently when I was younger. Horned Reapers as well. I forgot what I did in my still unreleased patch to change them but I think a lot of it involved a nerf to Creature Lightning and a slight nerf to Drain. I may have also reduced Mistress walking speed to prevent them from outrunning everything. I'm certain I reduced their Health though.

Orc I feel is often underrated. He hits like a truck, he hits even faster with speed. He can keep up with fast enemies like fairies,mistresses and usually take them out way before he falls. He is a good manufacturer. Often times I will get a 5x5 Workshop made and throw him in there to start pumping out the most expensive item I can sell. Which makes the difference in some levels where money is an issue.

Orcs are good, solid Creatures, though easy to overlook. However, despite this, I don't think they're really underrated that much. I seem to recall people liking Orcs as units because they're strong and I think the biggest criticism towards the Orc that comes to mind is that they're kinda boring. This is working merely from memory, however. But I would agree with that assessment. Orcs have good capabilities both in battle and out, and they train fast as well, even for mid-game units. If they researched instead of manufacturing, they wouldn't be nearly as effective since researching stops at a point, while manufacturing is infinite.

The problem with Orcs is that they have no flavor. They're viable in many situations, but they have no specialization or any real depth. They're not like Dragons or even Tentacles, which have more interesting functions. Even a Giant is more interesting than a Orc. Not to mention, they also have a striking resemblance to the Troll. I think that is what really is the final straw in making the point that Orcs are not meant to be unique. They are generic, average, fighters.

Shonji
December 29th, 2013, 07:41
I've grown to dislike using Mistresses simply because they feel pretty blatantly OP. Though I did use them more frequently when I was younger. Horned Reapers as well. I forgot what I did in my still unreleased patch to change them but I think a lot of it involved a nerf to Creature Lightning and a slight nerf to Drain. I may have also reduced Mistress walking speed to prevent them from outrunning everything. I'm certain I reduced their Health though.

I agree they are OP as hell. I would think they are similar to the Fairy. Heavy damage, fast, but very fragile. I would find them balanced if they had as low health as a Fairy, that way they still are as tough as they were, but they can't take a hit or else they will fall. So other ranged units or fast units like Orcs :D would be able to drop them easily if they get to them.

Orcs are good, solid Creatures, though easy to overlook. However, despite this, I don't think they're really underrated that much. I seem to recall people liking Orcs as units because they're strong and I think the biggest criticism towards the Orc that comes to mind is that they're kinda boring. This is working merely from memory, however. But I would agree with that assessment. Orcs have good capabilities both in battle and out, and they train fast as well, even for mid-game units. If they researched instead of manufacturing, they wouldn't be nearly as effective since researching stops at a point, while manufacturing is infinite.

The problem with Orcs is that they have no flavor. They're viable in many situations, but they have no specialization or any real depth. They're not like Dragons or even Tentacles, which have more interesting functions. Even a Giant is more interesting than a Orc. Not to mention, they also have a striking resemblance to the Troll. I think that is what really is the final straw in making the point that Orcs are not meant to be unique. They are generic, average, fighters.

I must be one of the odd DK1 players since to be perfectly honest. I downright did not like Dragons. They took an eternity to kill which was their only benefit. They were expensive, they also took an eternity to kill something. They also had something about them that made me downright HATE them. Flame breath only kills! I love converting so seeing deaths even when I have set to imprison infuriates me. Seems to me their only use is if you use possession, which I don't like due to their cloudy vision. I personally preferred a Bile Demon over a Dragon. Great tanks as well and dealt good damage. They are also faster which is scary....the fat Bile Demon is faster than the Dragon....something about that isn't right...

As for the Orc, I may have such a connection to them since to me they weren't boring only due to the fact I never allowed trolls into my dungeon. Bile Demons were nearly just as effective and could fight, while trolls were useless in combat. So the Orc was special to me since it was literally a warrior troll which I liked. I never really played with Tentacles to know how they play. They look cool enough, but I never was able to get them in my dungeon, the few times I seen them, they were Heroes and often couldn't convert. Giants were cool, but sadly were just a harder hitting Barbarian with an extremely late game speed spell that wore off in seconds....

This talk makes me want to install DK1 again....

Metal Gear Rex
December 29th, 2013, 08:32
I agree they are OP as hell. I would think they are similar to the Fairy. Heavy damage, fast, but very fragile. I would find them balanced if they had as low health as a Fairy, that way they still are as tough as they were, but they can't take a hit or else they will fall. So other ranged units or fast units like Orcs :D would be able to drop them easily if they get to them.

No, not as fragile as Fairies. Fairies have Rebound, making them immune to most projectiles unlike the DM. They also have other spells that make up for their lack of Speed Monster in addition to a relatively higher luck stat that makes their Lightning and Drain spells more powerful than the DM's with critical hits. (Lightning hits 10 times and Drain hits 2 times so yeah). With Freeze, they have a wider variety of usefulness compared to DMs. The possession of Rebound is especially important to note as it means they cannot be countered or punished easily for their own projectile spells. Same goes for the Wizard.

I do believe in an earlier version of my DK1 patch, I gave the DM the Missile spell at Level 4. This had a mixture of bonuses and penalties, allowing her to be an earlier ranged unit, which was good as she was made to be more fragile. However, it gave her a projectile spell to be punished by Rebound and also slowed her down when fleeing enemies as it forced her to take a moment to cast an additional spell. I believe I removed it because I felt I could balance her without the addition and I wanted her to act as an anti-Rebound unit.

I must be one of the odd DK1 players since to be perfectly honest. I downright did not like Dragons.

What? That's nonsense. Dragons have the insane ability to defy reason and logic. Despite the fact that they lack arms of any sort and have a foggy as hell vision, they're as good as Warlocks with researching.

But I suppose you do have a point. People tend to overlook the awesomeness that is the Beetle simply because Dragons look cooler. Level 7 Freeze is pretty damn OP, especially for a Creature that can be attracted with the basic room set. :beetle:

They took an eternity to kill which was their only benefit. They were expensive, they also took an eternity to kill something.

I think there was some funny detail where, for the longest time, most people thought Flame Breath did 3 damage at base level, because that's how much damage the DK1 files say it does. Though it turns out that it actually deals 30 damage. The 3 damage is damage per frame, and it has a health of 10 so it lasts 10 frames.

I don't remember what I did with them in my patch regarding damage output though. I do recall a lot of thinking about how to handle the three Creature tanks (Beetle, Bile Demon, and Dragon) in various situations to give them each an easily recognized identity as a unit and also keeping them balanced.

I personally preferred a Bile Demon over a Dragon. Great tanks as well and dealt good damage. They are also faster which is scary....the fat Bile Demon is faster than the Dragon....something about that isn't right...

I think Bile Demons were also a bit OP, but not very noticeably. I think it mainly came down to the fact that you could spam them easily with little to no consequence, as the Gas Damage stacked so well that it made up for anything lacking that would be gained from a well balanced army.

Dragons got a mixed package with FX. Word of Power made them pretty damn OP when spammed, like Dragons, but because FX removed all damage caps, the Dragon was at a heavy loss in average use. It meant their Heal couldn't keep up with the damage they were taking, so they felt pretty squishy for a tank.

As for the Orc, I may have such a connection to them since to me they weren't boring only due to the fact I never allowed trolls into my dungeon. Bile Demons were nearly just as effective and could fight, while trolls were useless in combat. So the Orc was special to me since it was literally a warrior troll which I liked. I never really played with Tentacles to know how they play. They look cool enough, but I never was able to get them in my dungeon, the few times I seen them, they were Heroes and often couldn't convert. Giants were cool, but sadly were just a harder hitting Barbarian with an extremely late game speed spell that wore off in seconds....

I didn't think a lot of those units were necessarily better than Orcs, merely that they're more interesting as units. There's some level of higher depth. Also, Barbarians have identical stats to the Orc, it's just that the lack of Speed kills them.

This talk makes me want to install DK1 again....

Then I will fire you from my patch.

Shonji
December 29th, 2013, 22:57
No, not as fragile as Fairies. Fairies have Rebound, making them immune to most projectiles unlike the DM. They also have other spells that make up for their lack of Speed Monster in addition to a relatively higher luck stat that makes their Lightning and Drain spells more powerful than the DM's with critical hits. (Lightning hits 10 times and Drain hits 2 times so yeah). With Freeze, they have a wider variety of usefulness compared to DMs. The possession of Rebound is especially important to note as it means they cannot be countered or punished easily for their own projectile spells. Same goes for the Wizard.

I do believe in an earlier version of my DK1 patch, I gave the DM the Missile spell at Level 4. This had a mixture of bonuses and penalties, allowing her to be an earlier ranged unit, which was good as she was made to be more fragile. However, it gave her a projectile spell to be punished by Rebound and also slowed her down when fleeing enemies as it forced her to take a moment to cast an additional spell. I believe I removed it because I felt I could balance her without the addition and I wanted her to act as an anti-Rebound unit.

Idk I just think the low health would suit the DM well, extremely powerful, but also quite fragile if they start taking hits.

What? That's nonsense. Dragons have the insane ability to defy reason and logic. Despite the fact that they lack arms of any sort and have a foggy as hell vision, they're as good as Warlocks with researching.

But I suppose you do have a point. People tend to overlook the awesomeness that is the Beetle simply because Dragons look cooler. Level 7 Freeze is pretty damn OP, especially for a Creature that can be attracted with the basic room set. :beetle:

I LOVE :beetle: and :spider: Beetles make lovely sacrifices and Spiders I just downright love. Slow, Freeze, and Hailstorm :D. Get me a couple level10 Spiders and I will cause quite some chaos.

I think there was some funny detail where, for the longest time, most people thought Flame Breath did 3 damage at base level, because that's how much damage the DK1 files say it does. Though it turns out that it actually deals 30 damage. The 3 damage is damage per frame, and it has a health of 10 so it lasts 10 frames.

I don't remember what I did with them in my patch regarding damage output though. I do recall a lot of thinking about how to handle the three Creature tanks (Beetle, Bile Demon, and Dragon) in various situations to give them each an easily recognized identity as a unit and also keeping them balanced.

Still hate Dragons :L If they were to ever have Flame Breath replaced with a Bite attack as their default attack then I would enjoy them. Hellhounds aren't a problem since that is what they do.

I think Bile Demons were also a bit OP, but not very noticeably. I think it mainly came down to the fact that you could spam them easily with little to no consequence, as the Gas Damage stacked so well that it made up for anything lacking that would be gained from a well balanced army.

Dragons got a mixed package with FX. Word of Power made them pretty damn OP when spammed, like Dragons, but because FX removed all damage caps, the Dragon was at a heavy loss in average use. It meant their Heal couldn't keep up with the damage they were taking, so they felt pretty squishy for a tank.

True but their downside was they were fat f**ks. If you wanted a large amount of them, you needed the mother of all Hatcheries. But I agree their Gas Damage was nuts, a couple lvl10 Bile Demons and anything with lower than decent health or didn't have a heal was just dead.

I didn't think a lot of those units were necessarily better than Orcs, merely that they're more interesting as units. There's some level of higher depth. Also, Barbarians have identical stats to the Orc, it's just that the lack of Speed kills them.

Ahh I see.

Then I will fire you from my patch.

:(

Lotex
January 21st, 2014, 08:13
i'd say it's a mood thing for me. i'd take a horned reaper for his raw power if i want to finish a boring stage early, if i'm in the mood for a longer battle, i'd take the knight since you he's a really good sparring partner for most creatures, especially dragons - just be a little cautious and you can easily train every dragon to 6+ in no time.
the dark mistress is a good overall option, since she can research, manufacture and fight and she's really awesome with the last one. a dragon might be another good option, but i like the mistress better for her speed, although he is the cool "come at me bros" guy who just tanks and kills them with flame breath if you possess him. that's what i liked about them and that's why i always have two or three dragons in my army :D

Dungeon_Master
January 22nd, 2014, 03:49
Hm I tend to transfer Priestess (I actually have changed some of the creatures and the way they acted, so she's kinda OP in my game.. Which is bad when I don't have her, good news is I made her scavenge haha, only bad side is the wind spell >.>, have too many of them and the battle takes too long).
Mistress- Second choice if I can't choose a Priestess, she's pretty Op.
Vampire- I tend to like it when they are OP, teach the tunneling heroes a lesson haha
Dragon- Do like them, especially since when possessed, you can pretty much kill anything in seconds (Not modified, it's that Flame breath).

I do happen to like transferring Warlocks and fairies as well (Except high level Warlocks and Wizards are a pain when starting a dungeon, build the library and they will come, the problem is if the Imps are still trying to fortify the walls)

Noanechu
January 23rd, 2014, 14:39
After playing some campaigns I have to say I still stick with the knight. I also transfered Horny sometimes but the knight is better because he can heal himself.
Horny has no doubt more power but for overrunning an enemy dungeon at the beginning the reaper is not the best choice. He surely will take a lot of damage but healing is a problem. And when there are also heroes to defeat his health is sometimes not enough. As sleeping is not the best way to heal him...