PDA

View Full Version : v1.8 - Is it worth my time?

SilverSpoon
July 4th, 2013, 18:05
Hello,

I've had a quick look around and I don't think anyone has asked this before. What does everyone think of the unofficial v1.8 patch (link below)?

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch/Dungeon-Keeper-2-Unofficial-Patch.shtml

Thanks!

Skarok
July 4th, 2013, 18:10
Not really, as it is based on the shitty 1.7 version of the game. Anything above 1.51 has a broken Multiplayer (aside from 1.73), errors in the campaign levels and a completely broken Keeper AI. Get version 1.3 or 1.51 instead, they'll be much better in pretty much any possible way. These versions are missing the Elites which are OP anyways, and that nonsense Jack-in-the-Box trap though. But I'd trade those things in for an actually stable and good working game any day.

Metal Gear Rex
July 4th, 2013, 18:21
Not really, as it is based on the shitty 1.7 version of the game. Anything above 1.51 has a broken Multiplayer (aside from 1.73), errors in the campaign levels and a completely broken Keeper AI. Get version 1.3 or 1.51 instead, they'll be much better in pretty much any possible way. These versions are missing the Elites which are OP anyways, and that nonsense Jack-in-the-Box trap though. But I'd trade those things in for an actually stable and good working game any day.

Don't forget the total waste of potential that was the Maiden of the Nest and her literally broken Poison spell.

Bj007pro
July 5th, 2013, 07:33
I've several times played multiplayer with other people that have 1.8, 1.73 & 1.7
unfortunately 1.73 gives me lags while playing but still great with the other versions above!!

Metal Gear Rex
July 5th, 2013, 07:38
I've several times played multiplayer with other people that have... 1.7

Impossible. 1.7 Multiplayer is literally broken and unplayable. You get the 0 Players glitch every time, where basically after someone joins the game the max players will flash red and say 0 Players, not allowing you to enter the game.

unfortunately 1.73 gives me lags while playing but still great with the other versions above!!

Perhaps another reason not to use 1.73? I find 1.73 to be very crashy and unstable. I'd stick with earlier releases. It allows for a much more stable game, and you're not really missing much as far as new features go with later releases.

Bj007pro
July 5th, 2013, 10:26
Impossible. 1.7 Multiplayer is literally broken and unplayable. You get the 0 Players glitch every time, where basically after someone joins the game the max players will flash red and say 0 Players, not allowing you to enter the game.

Sounds like someone hasn't heard GameRanger before.....

Skarok
July 5th, 2013, 10:28
FYI, Rex has Gameranger and used it several times for DKII. You know that programs like these are the only way to play DKII online in general? The version your playing is irrelevant, you'd still need Gameranger or Hamachi for it to work

Bj007pro
July 5th, 2013, 10:30
FYI, Rex has Gameranger and used it several times for DKII. You know that programs like these are the only way to play DKII online in general? The version your playing is irrelevant, you'd still need Gameranger or Hamachi for it to work

I Said I have GameRanger

Skarok
July 5th, 2013, 10:31
Yeah, as do we. Doesn't change the fact that 1.7's MP is broken. You'll get that glitch either way, unless you use the modified 1.73 which is pretty unstable.

Bj007pro
July 6th, 2013, 02:54
Yeah, as do we. Doesn't change the fact that 1.7's MP is broken. You'll get that glitch either way, unless you use the modified 1.73 which is pretty unstable.

You've just swapped the whole conversation around, said 1.73 gives me lag and 1.7 is fine while playing 1.8 online. Not visa-versa. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pn28AwdJka4/TILlZ3xmfuI/AAAAAAAAAC0/bVef9OaheE4/s320/frowny.png

Metal Gear Rex
July 6th, 2013, 07:25
You've just swapped the whole conversation around, said 1.73 gives me lag and 1.7 is fine while playing 1.8 online. Not visa-versa.

No we didn't? Also you didn't actually say that 1.7 is fine if playing against 1.8, or that 1.7 is fine if you use the 1.8 patch. I'm not sure which of these two statements you're trying to say here, but either way, you didn't say either of them previously.

I've several times played multiplayer with other people that have 1.8, 1.73 & 1.7

And even if you did say it previously, the statement is incorrect. You can't really play a game between two different versions of the game to my knowledge. And if you meant that 1.7 works with the 1.8 patch, that statement would also be incorrect. Since you're applying the 1.8 patch, it's no longer the 1.7 version but 1.8 version. Ergo, it isn't the 1.7 version of the game that is working but 1.8 instead.

What I'm curious about is how you managed to get a game on game ranger with 1.8. As far as I know, there isn't really anybody on there who plays 1.8. Most people I know of seem to use the Silver Edition, which is 1.73.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pn28AwdJka4/TILlZ3xmfuI/AAAAAAAAAC0/bVef9OaheE4/s320/frowny.png

You find it's really necessary to post that?

Bj007pro
July 6th, 2013, 10:17
No we didn't? Also you didn't actually say that 1.7 is fine if playing against 1.8, or that 1.7 is fine if you use the 1.8 patch. I'm not sure which of these two statements you're trying to say here, but either way, you didn't say either of them previously.

Yeah I did, but anyway what's the point of still talking about this when you're not believing me....

And even if you did say it previously, the statement is incorrect. You can't really play a game between two different versions of the game to my knowledge. And if you meant that 1.7 works with the 1.8 patch, that statement would also be incorrect. Since you're applying the 1.8 patch, it's no longer the 1.7 version but 1.8 version. Ergo, it isn't the 1.7 version of the game that is working but 1.8 instead.

What I'm curious about is how you managed to get a game on GameRanger with 1.8. As far as I know, there isn't really anybody on there who plays 1.8. Most people I know of seem to use the Silver Edition, which is 1.73.

While I wouldn't of said it if it was a false statement, would I???

You find it's really necessary to post that?

https://lh6.ggpht.com/vDf8c4XHLtvI4TpR5s90tGR0aIUdodhmHUFoefFnyP-mUN_QbZMFoxtT9etgaF-pikSjOw=s85

Metal Gear Rex
July 6th, 2013, 14:21
Yeah I did, but anyway what's the point of still talking about this when you're not believing me....

Where then did you state this then? Give me a direct quote. Perhaps I missed the comment, or perhaps you believed you mentioned it before but you didn't communicate it properly, which is why the message wasn't received. Judging by the way you write and communicate in general, the latter is actually quite possible.

While I wouldn't of said it if it was a false statement, would I???

You are quoting three points at once and your response fits perfectly with two out of three of those points, with the last point being an almost perfect fit, so how do you expect me to know what exactly you are trying to reply to? The problem with it being an "all of the above" response is that it's actually a very vague response for some of the points.

Also yes you can easily make a statement which is false, simply because you do not realize it is false and believe it to be true.

Bj007pro
July 7th, 2013, 05:14
Where then did you state this then? Give me a direct quote. Perhaps I missed the comment, or perhaps you believed you mentioned it before but you didn't communicate it properly, which is why the message wasn't received. Judging by the way you write and communicate in general, the latter is actually quite possible.

You are quoting three points at once and your response fits perfectly with two out of three of those points, with the last point being an almost perfect fit, so how do you expect me to know what exactly you are trying to reply to? The problem with it being an "all of the above" response is that it's actually a very vague response for some of the points.

Also yes you can easily make a statement which is false, simply because you do not realize it is false and believe it to be true.

I think before I type, so... Yeah!!