PDA

View Full Version : How i got dk1 to work on vista

ryanxsh
October 12th, 2009, 19:04
install DK1 as usual

Now for the fix!!!

1. Download and install the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit. [microsoft website]
2. Install it, and open the Compatibility Manager.
3. Hit the 'New' button.
4. Right click - Create New - Application Fix
5. Name it : Dungeon Keeper, Vendor: Bullfrog For location browse to find the Keeper95.exe file
6. For the 'next' screen, dont choose any compatability modes, and no check marks out of the ordinary on it.
7. After you hit next again, look through and tick 'ForceDirectDrawEmulation', leave everything else as it is.
8. Save the database, right click it hit "install" and run dungeon keeper 95 from the c drive!

Kromeh
October 12th, 2009, 19:07
The link for the file is:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=24da89e9-b581-47b0-b45e-492dd6da2971

XSlicer
October 15th, 2009, 17:54
Sounds just like http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Klan_Forum/index.php?showtopic=1350&view=findpost&p=13570739 this post.

Nice job finding it yourself.

Krizzie
October 16th, 2009, 08:21
This will only work for Vista 32bit though, for 64bit you need the 32bit installer which you can find here on the forums and then use KeeperFX to play. But it doesn't work as good as running DosBox or VPC.

dragonfist
November 16th, 2009, 00:27
8. Save the database, right click it hit "install" and run dungeon keeper 95 from the c drive!I saw no where to click "install" in the program. I saved the file to the Keeper directory, where I saved the game. It doesn't work. I have the impression that I have Vista 32 though.

A New Room
November 24th, 2009, 21:13
Yeah I can't get it to work... Just does the Dungeon Keeper screen with the Reaper then minimizes showing a small box. Then gone!

Mistressmaster
November 27th, 2009, 00:13
I'm not sure why people have a lot of problems with DK1 playing on Vista. I just installed the game and it ran like clockwork.

A New Room
November 27th, 2009, 00:24
I believe that Peter Molyneux has cursed me... none of the games he designed work for me (and when they do it is never for to long) What did I do to deserve this?! (with the exception of Fable 1 and 2 for Xbox those work fine.)

Quasar
December 8th, 2009, 20:35
I can't even get the installer to run on my Windows 7 64-bit box; it starts and then a "This application failed to install" dialog appears. I tried running it under a virtualized Win98 with VMware, and it runs, but it's so impossibly slow that I cannot play it - the game literally pauses for up to 5 seconds between running each frame - this despite me having a quad-core CPU - and there is no sound to speak of. So right now, I haven't found a way to run DK on Win7. I have a few more things to try before I give up completely, though - mainly, copying the game from a previous install to get around the installer issue.

mefistotelis
December 8th, 2009, 21:37
Have you tried the latest KeeperFX? It no longer needs files from original DK, so there shouldn't be any problem with installing it.

A New Room
December 9th, 2009, 01:51
Does it mean I can play Dk1 or are you just advertising?

dotted
December 9th, 2009, 02:18
Does it mean I can play Dk1 or are you just advertising?

KeeperFX is the next best thing since sliced bread

Keeper Klan doesnt have a dedicated KeeperFX forum just for kicks.
Also this is a complete install dont extract to your dungeon keeper install dir also the torrent should work even if the BitTorrent protocol is blocked.

A New Room
December 9th, 2009, 18:16
Finally a version of DK I play from my memory stick!

Quasar
December 9th, 2009, 23:12
Well I definitely want to and will try out KeeperFX; however, I like to have the original game installed and running for reasons of purism, and also because I understand KeeperFX still has some stability issues and mouse problems.

I figured out what was wrong. The game's UI is simply running so overly fast that the game loop is malfunctioning and inserting extremely long and awkward pauses. It's that same old hyperfast timer routine problem that plagues the Deeper Dungeons menu and the official editor.

I wish that there was a patch for all of the EXEs that would fix just that problem, without changing anything else, because it's now the single largest obstacle to running the game.

I can run it in the VM if I assign CPU Grabber 80 to 90% of the CPU time, but what's going to happen in a couple years down the road when we get 4 GHz core clockspeeds? You'll have to set it just fractions shy of 100% in order to even get close to the amount of slowdown needed.

Running it in the VM presents other problems however. VMware will not keep the mouse inside the VM's screen, which makes controlling the game almost impossible. Trying to run VMware fullscreen doesn't work either, as it tries to force Dungeon Keeper to use the desktop video mode, which it does not support :(

EDIT: I am looking at mefisto's .idb currently. Gonna take me a while to come up with any ideas since I'm unfamiliar with this game engine ;)

dotted
December 10th, 2009, 02:53
The mouse issues have been fixed, and the speed issue i havent seen anything of what you are describing. The menues run at a steady speed although i wouldnt mind having them go alittle faster when navigating, but its steady nevertheless. This is on a 3GHz Core 2 Duo, using the latest version.

As for stability, i haven't seen it crash at random during a game, so it's atleast stable enough for me atleast.

I would suggest you post your findings on the KeeperFX forums so mefistotelis can fix it, in case he misses your post here.

Quasar
December 10th, 2009, 04:32
The mouse issues have been fixed, and the speed issue i havent seen anything of what you are describing. The menues run at a steady speed although i wouldnt mind having them go alittle faster when navigating, but its steady nevertheless. This is on a 3GHz Core 2 Duo, using the latest version.

As for stability, i haven't seen it crash at random during a game, so it's atleast stable enough for me atleast.

I would suggest you post your findings on the KeeperFX forums so mefistotelis can fix it, in case he misses your post here.
The speed problems are all with the original EXE, not KeeperFX. I was investigating a possible fix to it, but right now I don't know enough about the internals of the game engine to even suggest anything. I am aware such a fix exists for Deeper Dungeons, but IIRC, it was just an exe file with no explanation of how it worked.

I am glad to hear the mouse is fixed. I have already downloaded KeeperFX and will be trying it out later :demon:

EDIT: Well the problem seems to be that there's no timing of the UI loop at all. It just runs as fast as it possibly can and assumes drawing the screen and playing sounds will be enough to slow it down to a reasonable pace. There's some incredibly messy code in there... guess I'm spoiled to working with the DOOM engine, which is a dream as far as its internal organization goes. Anyway that precludes any simple patch such as adjusting a pre-existing wait. It'd be necessary to hack in an actual function call, which is what the Deeper Dungeons patch apparently does, and I'm afraid my skills at binary hacking are not good enough for that currently.