PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Keeper Online, the MMO!!

Kromeh
October 13th, 2009, 02:05
http://ir.netdragon.us/content/2008-12-01/20081201073200333.shtml

It's not releasing in US, but owell, pirate time.

Metal Gear Rex
October 13th, 2009, 02:08
http://ir.netdragon.us/content/2008-12-01/20081201073200333.shtml

It's not releasing in US, but owell, pirate time.

Even if we get ahold of it, is it worth it? EA ruined it, and now it is going to another? Seriously, when we get our hands on it, it will probably be a pile of shit sitting there.

Hapuga
October 13th, 2009, 18:35
I'm sorry, but this news has beard like this long *touches knees*

Pizu_Meaku
October 15th, 2009, 10:50
I'm sorry, but this news has beard like this long *touches knees*

Beards are for wizard, warlocks and dwarfs! :wizard:

But yeah, the news struck the KK community like... almost a half a year ago?:dragon:

Kromeh
October 15th, 2009, 16:53
well, sorry for the OFN then.

XSlicer
October 15th, 2009, 17:57
More like a year.
But I don't think you could pirate this since it's an MMO. Unless some smart dude makes a private server...
Can't say how this is going to be. Could turn epic, but I'm more for "MMO + DK => Sucks Balls."

Kromeh
October 15th, 2009, 18:00
Well I have the capabilities to host a server, if it isn't too demanding.

Evi
October 16th, 2009, 02:51
Hm, unless they do it right, which has a low chance, it could be fun.

If they go with a normal boring MMORPG,
"pick hero, noa go to teh dungon and keel monstas 4 fun. pay moneey to git noce stoff. do quasts."
I might murder somebody.

But if they went with somebody being the "Keeper" with a RTS view, Imps that dig out areas, building rooms and ect., and some other players as the "Creatures/Heroes" in third to first person view, doing all the stuff normal creatures would do, and can't choose a certain creature, it would be frigging FUN.

Then again, they called it a MMORPG, so I don't really have my hopes high.

Kromeh
October 16th, 2009, 02:53
Jeez that gives me an idea for a round based game....

1 Person with the most experience is selected "Keeper"

First 4 with lowest EXP get an imp.

Next 40 people get randomly chosen for the next creature into the pool.

Madkill
October 16th, 2009, 03:21
I expect a Horde/Alliance clone.

Lairs will be headquarters and split far across weird plains.

An MMORPG Dungeon Crawler. Nothing exciting about that.

Evi
October 16th, 2009, 03:21
In my honest opinion, Imps shouldn't be playable. :p

But I doubt something like that wouldn't happen in a long time. :(

But anyways, back on topic!
-------

CURSE YOU EA!

dk2player
October 16th, 2009, 05:45
Why pay some amount of money, and need an internet connection (which I don't have alot) just to play a game you could in possesion

dotted
October 16th, 2009, 06:51
Why pay some amount of money, and need an internet connection (which I don't have alot) just to play a game you could in possesion

It's unlikely to be just like possesion.

Metal Gear Rex
October 16th, 2009, 06:56
I wonder why ea is so dumb. They're releasing it over there where we want it here and would buy it.

Kromeh
October 16th, 2009, 07:19
Well they just let the Koreans use their logo's. Koreans decide who it's going to.

Metal Gear Rex
October 16th, 2009, 07:28
I think everyone over there is an idiot though, lolz.

Kromeh
October 16th, 2009, 07:41
Idiots, Nukes, what next?

Duke Ragereaver
October 16th, 2009, 08:24
I wonder why ea is so dumb. They're releasing it over there where we want it here and would buy it.

EA is the VERY definition of failure.

Metal Gear Rex
October 16th, 2009, 08:33
EA is the VERY definition of failure.

You're on the right track, Duke. But I think even failure is too good for EA.

Kromeh
October 16th, 2009, 08:39
But... I LOVE the LOTR series they released for gamecube!

Madkill
October 16th, 2009, 13:57

Psychology is a funny thing.

dotted
October 16th, 2009, 21:27

EA isn't releasing anything.

Madkill
October 17th, 2009, 04:01
Its also the china-guiz who are making this, not the Korean. I'm pretty sure of that.

dotted
October 17th, 2009, 04:12
Its also the china-guiz who are making this, not the Korean. I'm pretty sure of that.

Indeed it is.

Hapuga
October 17th, 2009, 13:44

5mln. WoW players are from China. out of 11. Not a bad target market to start with, huh?

Dont worry guys, its easy marketing. They'll grab all they can from Asia and in a year or two you'll see this game in other countries.

The most influential factors are game policies in EU and US and adaptability. Competition is way smaller in Asia game market than in EU/US. So just wait a couple of years, and this game will come to you. After it'll drain the brains and pockets of Asian guys =)

Metal Gear Rex
October 17th, 2009, 18:18
Don't be entirely sure. I'd prefer we make something ourselves. Why? Because it'd probably be 10 times better than the crap we'll be getting. Unless of course it has a score of 3 and under, which is pretty possible.

EA doesn't like to risk anything. Which is why they stopped progress on DK3. It's funny because it was because DK2 didn't do as well as they hoped, but they screwed themselves over on that deal.

Besides, with a tweaks here and there, we can probably give Dungeon Keeper the same abilities as this crappy game here.

Madkill
October 18th, 2009, 04:01
Do none of you guys know what happens when you sell the rights to a game?

Those china dev's own the rights to Dungeon Keeper now, it has nothing or at least -very- little to do with EA.

PS: WoW players originate around the globe, not just china.
And its KOREANS that are stereotypically known as the biggest bunch of MMO gamers/creators. Not china.

Metal Gear Rex
October 18th, 2009, 04:21
So in other words...

Bullfrog made a great game...
Dungeon Keeper!

EA bought Bullfrog and made a fairly good game off of a good game...
Something related to Dungeon Keeper!

And now China has the rights to Dungeon Keeper and made...
Crap!

Yeah... that makes alot of sense...

dotted
October 18th, 2009, 07:14
Those china dev's own the rights to Dungeon Keeper now, it has nothing or at least -very- little to do with EA.
No they licensed it.

Gold Knight
October 18th, 2009, 11:07
Well one thing is certain: it'll never be as good as the original. First of all, it's an MMORPG. Second, it's not the original. :P

Hapuga
October 18th, 2009, 11:30
You never know. Don't be too certain. We are not the original dev's, but we are doing our best for WTFO. Asians do know how to make addictive MMO's. so, we'll see.

Kromeh
October 18th, 2009, 14:33
Asians know how to make PROFITABLE MMO's.

Blizzard knows how to make GOOD MMO's.

dotted
October 18th, 2009, 14:36
Asians know how to make PROFITABLE MMO's.

Blizzard knows how to make GOOD MMO's.

You make it sound like WoW isn't making any money :p

Kromeh
October 18th, 2009, 18:02
Well, they spend 30% of their income on their servers.

Unix machines baby. 1GB pipelines.

Hapuga
October 18th, 2009, 18:14
That's quality. That's service. That's how it meant to be.

A good rapidly growing business spends up to 90% in investing and supporting itself.

Metal Gear Rex
October 18th, 2009, 18:41
Well one thing is certain: it'll never be as good as the original. First of all, it's an MMORPG. Second, it's not the original. :P

Lolz, I'd play a game of DK1 with you if getting it to work wasn't a pain in the ass. Someone should redesign its multiplayer system to at least be like DK2's so it's playable... *Sigh* that'd be fun.

Gold Knight
October 18th, 2009, 21:16
Lolz, I'd play a game of DK1 with you if getting it to work wasn't a pain in the ass. Someone should redesign its multiplayer system to at least be like DK2's so it's playable... *Sigh* that'd be fun.
Yeah it'd be awesome if someone happened to fix it. If it costed $50 just to have DK1 playable online, I'd pay.

Metal Gear Rex
October 18th, 2009, 21:24
I'd pay $100... would kick ass. I'll bet the possession is better designed. I saw a creature walk backwards because I was too close and I'll bet they got something good planned for the possession of DK1. Even if DK1 is older with less features (Like some you could do with DK2 on specific creatures) it is still SOOOO much better than in DK2.

Gold Knight
October 18th, 2009, 21:31
I'd pay $100... would kick ass. I'll bet the possession is better designed. I saw a creature walk backwards because I was too close and I'll bet they got something good planned for the possession of DK1. Even if DK1 is older with less features (Like some you could do with DK2 on specific creatures) it is still SOOOO much better than in DK2.
I'd pay $100 too if I knew there would be a lot of players, but unfortunately Dungeon Keeper isn't all that well known any more so you wouldn't find many games.

And I once read somewhere that the only reason the online sucks is because Peter Molyneux was in a huge rush to get the game finished. Apparently he would have expanded on it A LOT if he'd had more time, like 'creature possession wars' or something along those lines. That'd have been epic. :dragon:

Metal Gear Rex
October 18th, 2009, 21:37
If they hadn't been rushed, then Dungeon Keeper would be more popular even today. *Sigh* Should I kick EA in the balls or has someone already done it?

Madkill
October 18th, 2009, 23:19
I'd pay $100 too if I knew there would be a lot of players, but unfortunately Dungeon Keeper isn't all that well known any more so you wouldn't find many games.

Erm...

MMO's require subscriptions.

Meaning you need guilt-ridden parents or people who have a job.

Most people who have jobs are 15+

MMO player ages average between 17-38.

I'm pretty sure people between the ages of 17 -to- 38 will know what Dungeon Keeper is. :spider:

Metal Gear Rex
October 18th, 2009, 23:21
He was talking about a DK1 with a better multiplayer system.

Madkill
October 19th, 2009, 01:40
Oh...well I'll just save the post on standby-quote if needed in the future. :spider:

Metal Gear Rex
October 19th, 2009, 08:12
Why don't we sort of make our own? We can make a map from DK2 and manipulative the creatures to fit this. There could be some secret creatures too. And cause it's DK2, we can actually play it online. Though it will be 4 players max, but using the Global Data you can make more maps too. I'm willing for the job, and can start a topic for suggestions and such.

Hapuga
October 19th, 2009, 08:27
Are you ready to write the engine? Make artwork? put it all together?

How can you people be so naive. We are barely moving with one of 2 planned games, and you're saying make an MMO. Do you know how difficult it is to make an MMO?

Then, do you know how many resources do you need to maintain it? Who will pay for internet channel? For 300-500 player normal handling it will cost about 100$ per month. Probably more. Who will pay? Who will pay for equipment, servers and etc?

Metal Gear Rex
October 19th, 2009, 08:31
Do you have any idea what I just said? I'm not stupid, I'm not capable of just rewriting or any of that crap. I was talking about making a DK2 map, and manipulating the creatures so they are rounded out without total unfair balances. Then you can easily copy the global data to make more maps.

Hapuga
October 19th, 2009, 08:40
So whats the point? Making a Diablo-like game for 4 players per map, wandering around and killing each other? This is your point?

Metal Gear Rex
October 19th, 2009, 08:42
Better than nothing. Got any better ideas?

Hapuga
October 19th, 2009, 08:46
Yes. Agree with your friends on a map, restrict other creatures of entering some limited area, throw in 1 creature of each player, possess and play out a deathmatch. You have a counter-strike-like game. pretty fun, used to do it with friends. Especially, making a game with a labyrinth, with many tunnels, corners and eth, and playing for 4 dark elves. FFA.

Downside - crashes a lot.

Metal Gear Rex
October 19th, 2009, 09:05
Yes unfortunately. I can edit some DK2 creatures to be like DK1 (Elites) so it'll be fun. There are 47 creatures in total of the entire DK1/DK2 games. However, I need 1 extra to be the Horned Reaper, so I need 48 creatures to have all of them, but I only have 45 creatures to use.

Therefore, I must eliminate a few. Like two princes. I've already typed up the names of all the creatures, now I just need to round them with a few details and then input the info and whatnot. I could allow groups of 3 max, so it isn't too quiet. Plus it'll give creatures like the monks more use.

Hapuga
October 19th, 2009, 14:03
My dream is to have a WoW like arena team, for example: a guardian, a mage and a priest for team one (3 players), 2 knights and elf for team 2, and so on. FFA.

Pure Quake! Play with creature stat, make mage and Archer nuker classes with sick damage and weak def, give bile demon some stopping spells to cripple enemies, give a dwarf incredible speed and sth like bombs to make him like scout from TF2, because this is what he could be best used for.. Give Dark Angel the ability to rise undead (skellys) and you have a sick assortment of very fun and unique creatures.

Now, to make it really fun, it must be lightning-fast action. Not like WoW, I have 20k life and uber gear > I PWN. It has to be a 5-7 sec combat, like in reality. not like staying in front of each other and slashing k's of life.

dotted
October 19th, 2009, 15:30
My dream is to have a WoW like arena team, for example: a guardian, a mage and a priest for team one (3 players), 2 knights and elf for team 2, and so on. FFA.

Pure Quake! Play with creature stat, make mage and Archer nuker classes with sick damage and weak def, give bile demon some stopping spells to cripple enemies, give a dwarf incredible speed and sth like bombs to make him like scout from TF2, because this is what he could be best used for.. Give Dark Angel the ability to rise undead (skellys) and you have a sick assortment of very fun and unique creatures.

Now, to make it really fun, it must be lightning-fast action. Not like WoW, I have 20k life and uber gear > I PWN. It has to be a 5-7 sec combat, like in reality. not like staying in front of each other and slashing k's of life.

I'd say WoW pretty much nails the sweetspot in terms of game time in arenas, it really isnt fun to be one shotted - and you are not gonna make fun game with what you descriped. Especially since you are making the game about gear not skill.

Madkill
October 19th, 2009, 17:05
I like the original idea by Metal.

Just have four dungeons pre-made and the keeper is unable to build anything or use spells, the keeper can only possess.

Walls are impenetrable so your imps just have to dig gold. The rest of your dungeon will survive as creatures come and go and train etc.

You possess whichever creature you want and don't forget, you can create a party with your own creatures.

Having that x4 could be very fun actually, creating a gamemode as it were.

Just need to remember trigger for a room to auto-build i.e. lair/hatchery. (Or just leave two large rooms blank for the keeper to place the only two available rooms.

To stop imps from claiming the ground all you have to do is have everyone allied to the heroes, slap down some hero-flooring in between and you're all fine.

Edit creature variables so all creatures will train.

Would be pretty awesome and would feel like you're playing with more than just 4 other people.

(You could even set a few creatures up for guard duty, if they die then your defence/dungeon will slowly crumble)

Hapuga
October 19th, 2009, 19:59
I'd say WoW pretty much nails the sweetspot in terms of game time in arenas, it really isnt fun to be one shotted - and you are not gonna make fun game with what you descriped. Especially since you are making the game about gear not skill.

Well, maybe WoW was a bad example. How about UT? or, again, Quake? WoW is tooo sloooow. I love action. Counter strike! Team Fortress!

Metal Gear Rex
October 19th, 2009, 20:08
Alright, so I'll be going for faster action and kills. I'll give every creature the same health and attack, but then round them off depending on the unit (Give Bile Demon higher health, etc)

Alright.

@Harpuga
What unit do you like in Team Fortress? I haven't played the game because I'm not really into online games like that, but I think I'd like the Spy alot.

Hapuga
October 19th, 2009, 20:12
Sniper. He just freaks me out. Don't know why. And I'm quite good with him.

Actually, I just LOVE all the classes. They have so much character. + they are very unique and interesting to play.

Metal Gear Rex
October 19th, 2009, 20:16
Heh.

I'll make something real quick because I have alot of work to do and I have to be up by 9 tomorrow... going to be a challenge. I'll create a new thread in the DK2 about this... but what should I call it?

I'll focus on a few creatures, let's see... I'm thinking more on...

Goblin
Warlock
Troll
Dark Elf
Firefly
Bile Demon

Six units for now... and the battle field won't be too creative. I might just use a pre-made map, Warrens is good.

Hapuga
October 19th, 2009, 20:18
Do not rush yourself Rex, I'm very busy atm too, ask all you wish to know about balancing, I hope my FPS experience will help you at least a bit.

Frag the poor, hurdle the dead! (c)

Metal Gear Rex
October 19th, 2009, 20:30
Don't worry. I can easily re-do things later. I will cut out the Perception Range (Fog of War) value down to 0 for all creatures and set it to 2 for the Firefly. That way, it gives him a real purpose and you can't easily tell where everyone is.

Madkill
October 20th, 2009, 00:29
If we're going with the DKII game/map thing then Metal, I could create a decent sample map whilst you do the variables for the specific creatures.

Simple collab. Yes?

Metal Gear Rex
October 20th, 2009, 00:47
If we're going with the DKII game/map thing then Metal, I could create a decent sample map whilst you do the variables for the specific creatures.

Simple collab. Yes?

Sure. Maybe you could use a complex maze like Warrens?

Madkill
October 20th, 2009, 03:03
Just give me the definite 6-9 creatures you're planning on editing for this and I'll have something for you soon.

Metal Gear Rex
October 20th, 2009, 03:05
Read what I listed. That's for now. Unfortunately I STILL have alot of work to do and a serious problem with procrastination... tonight is going to ass...

DragonsLover
October 20th, 2009, 08:34
Screenshots of the game available here (http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-10-17/20091017002151478,1.shtml), it's been 3 days already. They're also on DK.net. Notice that, there's 2 pages.

Metal Gear Rex
October 20th, 2009, 08:57
It looks like it could be fun, but not to those who know the real Dungeon Keeper.

This game isn't even worthy of even being named Dungeon Keeper... and I thought DK2 was bad... this irritates me... and my friend :horny:...

Evi
October 20th, 2009, 12:46
And there went the last of my hope.

I'll be in the corner of the room, slowly crying to death.

Hapuga
October 20th, 2009, 13:03
Screenshots of the game available here (http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-10-17/20091017002151478,1.shtml), it's been 3 days already. They're also on DK.net. Notice that, there's 2 pages.

MY EYES, MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111oneelevenone1!

Duke Ragereaver
October 20th, 2009, 16:23
They took our jobs!!!

On-topic: I remain skeptical about if the new DK game will truely be a succes.

XSlicer
October 20th, 2009, 19:36
It does say you can have your own dungeon and attack other people's dungeons.........
Interesting, so to say.

Pizu_Meaku
October 20th, 2009, 20:32
they tuk ur jobs!!! xD

I personally am sceptic to. I really wonder if they'll be able to get that humor and unique atmosphere in that game. Its kind of a task if you ask me. Also that Horny and Mistress are f**ked up. The screenshots don't really say anything to me so I am not going to judge that one yet.

Metal Gear Rex
October 21st, 2009, 05:26
I hope no one forgot about the map I was making... It's nearly done. Just want to test one little thing and I'll post it in a new topic called the Possession Combat Pit or something in the Multiplayer section of DK2. It's not nearly complete, and was a pain in the ass to get to work... so no heroes.

Edit-
I'll call it First Person Combat Pit

Metal Gear Rex
October 21st, 2009, 05:49
I'm having difficulties. The map plays fine, but when I go to the skirmish mode, and then go to the menu where I try to select a new map. I find my map, click it, okay and then it goes back to the normal skirmish mode but then the game crashes. Here it is...

http://www.box.net/shared/0plv365ptp

You can access it with the -level trick, but not from skirmish. I can't figure it out, can someone help me? I can't really continue without bypassing this.

Hapuga
October 24th, 2009, 23:03
Great, but you have to rework a labyrinth a lil bit, cuz, atm its more 1 vs 2 if you study it carefully. add more passes.