PDA

View Full Version : Cool Glitch I found, turn Lava to Land

Paddy
December 19th, 2013, 00:05
Hi, I'm new to keeper klan
I have enjoyed Dungeon Keeper since I was a wee kid and recently started playing again.
A few years ago I found a cool glitch that allows the user to turn lava into claimed tiles.
This is what I did:
I cant remember which level it was, maybe it was a deeper dungeons level. but I created hundreds of guard posts, each with a tile space between, and eventually when u make so many rooms there seems to be a limit, I placed hundreds of traps in between, poison gas, alarm, electric etc. (I dont know if this had anything to do with the glitch but it's what I did).. Because you have reached the room limit you cant build a bridge, but if you already have a bridge extend it to the full area of lava or water, or simply delete 1 guard post and build the bridge, Then delete one square of the bridge, and.. like magic the whole area turns to red tiles no more lava. Seemed pretty cool to me at the time I hope someone else enjoys this.
Thank you for reading :)

DragonsLover
December 19th, 2013, 12:25
After all those years, this game still reveals its surprises.
I just tested and I can confirm this. You can only have a limit of 149 separate rooms in your dungeon (the dungeon heart counts as a room). Once you have reached that limit, just sell a square of a bridge and, not only all other squares of the bridge will turn to claimed path, but you also get the amount of gold of all affected bridge tiles converted. This is because selling may divide the rooms and add to the amount, which goes beyond the limit, and the game has to handle this. In this case, the game has to get rid of the bridge, but does it incorrectly.

That's kind of nasty. It means you can permanently build dirt path over the lava and you need lava traps to turn them back like before.
Thanks for the find! I wonder if this kind of glitch can be fixed in KeeperFX. My suggestion would be, for the bridge only: turn them back to water/lava.

mefistotelis
December 19th, 2013, 19:03
I wonder if this kind of glitch can be fixed in KeeperFX.

That actually is possible.

When you're selling a room, new room is created to gather parts of the one being sold. Actually, up to 4 additional rooms may be created, depending on a shape of the room.

So if we run out of rooms, there's a failsafe setting which sells it all, and puts claimed path there.
It's only a fail safety code, so it's not very complicated - the hope was probably that it will never be used.

Note that room limit is 150 - so you must place quite a lot of guard post to trigger the glitch.

DragonsLover
December 19th, 2013, 23:28
Weird, because I built 147 different rooms + a bridge + the dungeon heart. This gives 149 max rooms I got. It won't let me build the 150th one.

mefistotelis
December 20th, 2013, 00:36
Weird, because I built 147 different rooms + a bridge + the dungeon heart. This gives 149 max rooms I got. It won't let me build the 150th one.

Oh, you are precise.

Yes, since room indexed 0 is never used, the max is 149, not 150.