PDA

View Full Version : The Horned Reaper

Metal Gear Rex
October 23rd, 2009, 23:12
I'm curious, what exactly do we know about Horny, and Horned Reapers in general? And I also have a theory that Horny did appear in DK1. But I'd like to know more.

Horny-

In the last level, inside the Avatar's castle, you find a level 10 Horned Reaper. I am guessing this is Horny. He could also be the Horned Reaper in the videos.

Horny must have desired to destroy the Avatar, and fought against him but was defeated and imprisoned. He was then tortured for information, until you rescued him. He then decided to join you in the combined desire to slay the Avatar.

Duke Ragereaver
October 23rd, 2009, 23:20
I doubt the Horned Reapers in Skybird had anything to do with the Horny in DK2. I simply think the developpers WANTED to add the icon of Dungeon in the final battle because the only way to summon Horned Reapers, via sacraficing was unavailable because you coudn't get mistresses. And because Horned Reapers train slow they coudn't bother to place a low level one.

I will add the rest of my thoughts about Horned Reapers later. :horny:

Metal Gear Rex
October 24th, 2009, 01:10
I doubt the Horned Reapers in Skybird had anything to do with the Horny in DK2. I simply think the developpers WANTED to add the icon of Dungeon in the final battle

I know that, but there isn't an official story on what happened between DK1/DK2 with the Horned Reapers, so we have to make one up. What I stated is simply made up, yet (Hopefully) believable. As a side note, it is funny when you have a level 1 Horned Reaper sleeping in his lair next to a level 10.

Please do tell of your thoughts, though, I really am curious on how much information can be gathered on the Horned Reaper. I'll right down more of my thoughts when I organize them a bit more.

natchoguy
October 24th, 2009, 23:00
I think the main question about horned reapers is that should it be one ultra powerful summoning creature or an entire rare race

Metal Gear Rex
October 24th, 2009, 23:05
I think the main question about horned reapers is that should it be one ultra powerful summoning creature or an entire rare race

The point of this is not ingame but to find out how much we know about Horned Reapers in general.

dk2player
October 24th, 2009, 23:14
Well, I know 3 things

1.) horned reapers love to kill

2.) Horned reapers are only acsesable through temple sacrafices

3.) <insert another thing>

natchoguy
October 24th, 2009, 23:29
3) they can not not kill anything in less than a minute

Who-horny
October 25th, 2009, 00:46
4) like your imps they are made of mana (EVIL MANA!) because they can only be obtained by summoning/temple sacrifice and in DK2 do not leave bodies (Well, he leaves the realm but so what?)

I'll might address the nature of horny in some chapters of the Rp, it would be cool to have him as a prominent figure in it.

And Obviously Grim is his far more successful friend for Reaper college.

In DK2 he is shown to be intelligent and plotting, not a dumb brute at all: he's the one that collects all the gems.

Horny certainly is motivated to getting into the over world.

And, the mentor (Who we know even less about) seem to trust Horny with our gems, in fact, as he allows Horny and not you to hold them it seems like the Mentor trusts horny more than you.

Although it's difficult to belie Horny is in league with the Mentor, as Horny does not seem to be the sort of thing that would enter a partnership, and we need to collect the talisman before we can summon him anywho.

How is the Talisman related to Horny anywho? Was it built to banish him (The last of the Horned Reapers) and then scattered across the land so that it could not be rebuilt to re summon him?

ALSO! When your dungeon heart is first made in a real it shows Horny's symbol on the ground where your heart brakes through. How is your individual Dungeon Keeper Voodoo connected to him? Some body (presumidly the Mentor) gave you a grater connection to Horny in DK2 than other keepers might have.

Who-horny
October 25th, 2009, 00:50
Possibly theory!

The Mentor's end is actually to get him self a body, and he's been manipulating Dungeon Keepers up and down the underworld for centuries to build him self a strong enough host. Horny is this desired host.

The Mentor bistowes some guy with Dungeon Keeper status with a deeper connection to Horny than most, and helps him conqueror the whole of what's-that-place; re fore the Horny talisman, and enter the over world.

Remember "Land is power, keeper" by having you control the whole of the underworld you can summon Horny to be all the more strong. And maybe some where in the over world the mentor has set up his Give Me Your Body ritual.

Metal Gear Rex
October 25th, 2009, 00:52
Possibly theory!

The Mentor's end is actually to get him self a body, and he's been manipulating Dungeon Keepers up and down the underworld for centuries to build him self a strong enough host. Horny is this desired host.

The Mentor bistowes some guy with Dungeon Keeper status with a deeper connection to Horny than most, and helps him conqueror the whole of what's-that-place; re fore the Horny talisman, and enter the over world.

Remember "Land is power, keeper" by having you control the whole of the underworld you can summon Horny to be all the more strong. And maybe some where in the over world the mentor has set up his Give Me Your Body ritual.

That actually sounds like a great idea to use for WftO.

Duke Ragereaver
October 25th, 2009, 08:11
I take most of the lore out of the 12th Imp Alert: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Klan_Forum/index.php?showtopic=674 .

The Legend of the Horned Reaper
Fan Fiction by Patrician

Whilst searching the great resource that is the internet I came across an interesting excerpt about the origin of horned reapers. The source was in some forgotten ancient language and the parchment was slightly tea-stained and ripped by large claw marks, but I've done my best to translate it for you:

"Dear Diary,

Whilst browsing the dust-covered bookshelves of the dark library I came across a large, leather-bound tome that immediately took my attention. On closer inspection the book was actually wrought out of human flesh and blowing away the accumulation of dust I was able to read the title, inscribed in fading gold peel it read: "Servants of the Dark Gods"

Intrigued at my find I opened the ancient encyclopedia with a certain degree of caution. The page I flicked unto sent excitement down my aged spine, there was a large engraving of an imposing beast with horns sticking out from his temples and jaw. In one hand he clasped a ferocious looking scythe, this, I realised, was one of the legendary horned reapers of yore.

Excitedly I read the text on the opposite page, it detailed the history of the horned reapers, how they were born of pure Evil in the depths of Hell, and used as guardians for the bastions of Pandemonia. They could be summoned by the battling dungeon keepers to aid them in their quest for domination of the world.

I read on, delighted at my find, apparently these reapers could be summoned through the sacrifice of three lesser creatures: a troll, a bile demon and a dark mistress. These three sacrifices represented industriousness, greed and power - a formidable combination that was rewarded with a horned reaper - the epitome of these qualities combined. However, the psychotic bloodlust of the reapers meant they were lost quickly in the midst of battle with the Avatar's forces. After the heroic Keeper's victory in the old world the Dark Gods opted to keep their most valued of servants in the confines of Hell.

As a replacement for the red demons, the Dark Gods offered the keepers of the new world the services of dark angels, a mockery of Heaven's pure servants. However, the horned reapers were unsatisfied at their incarceration in Pandemonia and wanted to satisfy their urges for fresh blood by aiding the dungeon keepers.

One particularly powerful horned reaper, albeit with a slightly large chin and libido (hence the affectionate nickname Horny), was chosen by the Dark Gods to retrieve the portal gems of the new realm, and to offer his fighting abilities to only the most intrepid of keepers. The Dark God, Cernunnos, broke a magical talisman into four parts and scattered them across the corners of Harmonia. If these four segments are ever to be found and re-united, I read, the Horned Reaper will rise once again under the Dungeon Keeper's banner.

But until the day of reunification, when a keeper is strong and dedicated enough to find the segments, the Horned Reaper, or Horny, will stalk the passages of Hell, waiting for his calling - I must inform the Master of this "Horny". If he can summon its power, then we can mount a successful war on those pitiful Heroes.

Oh, I think Mimi is calling me, I best not be late for dinner at the hatchery - Mimi's mood swings are becoming more and more intolerable. I should've taken my father's advice and not married a dark mistress... The claws are so painful! Thankfully I can seek refuge in this library. Yes I'm coming dear!"

Based on the webpage: http://www.everything2.com/?node_id=1454730

Horned Reaper fact:

Strength: Horned Reapers are far too strong for even the most skilled and strongest human warrior. This was famously demonstrated when Horny smacked a fully amoured knight through a barricaded wooden door. I think the strength of Horned Reapers are equal if not superior to those of giants (lore-wise).

Metal Gear Rex
October 25th, 2009, 08:35
Nice. I read that other story, the one Patrician's was based on. I've organized my thoughts but I'm a bit sleepy... it's 1:20 where I am. If I made any errors please inform me. My right eye is half way shut...

I have more information, but it is about Dungeon Keeper in general.

The creatures are the forces of the Dungeon Keepers, which allowed them to do the Dark Gods' bidding, which is destroy the heroes. The Horned Reaper is the most powerful of them all, the symbol and eyes of the Dark Gods. Which is why the Temple has the Horned Reaper's face on it. It is also why the Dark Gods punish you for sacrificing a Horned Reaper, because it is like saying, "I'm more powerful than you, I need you not."

---
I'll finish the rest later, I can't think anymore... sleepy...

Who-horny
October 25th, 2009, 15:24
An evil book made from human flesh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr4PcOQYFAw

chriseatsimps
November 10th, 2009, 14:18
I thought about this a while ago. There should be more of a backstory to Dungeon Keeper 2 and because i'm so cool i wrote my ideas down. The story was generally eons ago a giant battle between angels and reapers ended with the mass extinction of angels and wiping out all but one reaper. The lone reaper (Horny) was pushed underground with all the other evil creatures by the humans and dwarves. The humans and thier allies captured Horny somehow. Horny spent sometime in his prison whilst the humans and dwarves and elves grew stronger in the outside world. He eventually broke out, built his own dungeon and attacked the entrance to the over world. Then he recruited you and the mentor to help him collect the gems. Perhaps he even recruited the mentor before hand. Or maybe they were in the same prison? just an idea :P

natchoguy
November 10th, 2009, 19:38
Maybe the mentor and Horny are close friends so he decides to become your ally since the mentor works for you.

chriseatsimps
November 10th, 2009, 20:56
maybe :D just randomly occured to me but i bet the mentor is one of these http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm_gallery/Beholder.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beholder

The Spectator type.

natchoguy
November 10th, 2009, 21:00
the voice doesn't fit (my opinion)

dk2player
November 10th, 2009, 22:43
I think that the mentor is horny, in physical form. He tries to help you out by giveing directions, and when he is casted, he still is able to help out.

just a thought.

Grimhound
November 15th, 2009, 04:55
Where does Horny (and the base concept of Dungeon Keeper in its entirety) come from? In 2 links or less?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=616PgQCUcp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLTTKwE_Lho

dragonfist
November 15th, 2009, 05:43
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9004/bullb.jpg

Metal Gear Rex
November 15th, 2009, 07:55
Maybe the mentor and Horny are close friends so he decides to become your ally since the mentor works for you.

Horny has no friends... he probably got bored and killed them one day.

damedog
January 28th, 2017, 03:41
Unholy Necromancy, batman!

Well, the Horned Reaper can only be summoned via some form of magic, but he does leave a body unlike the imps. I'm going to say that they are not a magical creation, but a being not of this world. Perhaps they make their home in the realm of the dark gods, and serve them? It would seem to make sense.

I like the concept of Skybird Trill's Reaper being Horny.

Woudo
January 28th, 2017, 03:47
Skybird Trill has two reapers though. A level 10 hero and a level 10 neutral.

darkkingkongman
May 2nd, 2017, 18:46
The Temple Recipe for obtaining a Horned Reaper is to sacrifice, a troll, Dark Mistress, and Bile Demon in the temple's pool.