PDA

View Full Version : Random Game Crashes

That Sinful Imp!
October 24th, 2009, 00:16
Just downloaded DK2 from the internet (lost the actual disk during my last move) and I've encountered some problems, one of which seemingly fixed.

My current problem is that the game will stop working at any given moment. During campaign, (third level I think, the name escapes me) my game crashes just before or just after a Dark Elf enters my realm. I don't know if that it, or if its because I'm trying to expand a few rooms and set up a few sentry traps and doors.
It happens during skirmish also, but during skirmish, it's more random.
The game stops and I get a message saying that it's encountered a problem and needs to close.
I don't know if it's the game, or if its because I installed a boot leg version of Windows XP. ( I was running on Vista when I'd lifted my CPU to move it after having installed a few things and it suddenly didn't work anymore.)

Stiekel
October 24th, 2009, 00:23
Is DK2 running on 1 CPU? Do you use a compatibility mode?

That Sinful Imp!
October 24th, 2009, 01:41
I'm not sure what that means D: I use only single player if that's what you mean. As for compatibility, I'm totally in the dark as far as the meaning of that term.

Evi
October 24th, 2009, 01:45
Right click Dungeon Keeper's Exe, click properties, click the Compatibility tab and set the mode to Windows 98.

That Sinful Imp!
October 24th, 2009, 03:34
Would it do any harm to set it to Windows 2000? I'm running on XP.
*replies may be delayed due to frequent internet FAIL*

Evi
October 24th, 2009, 03:37
It should work on that, it works for me on that one.

That Sinful Imp!
October 24th, 2009, 03:59
Thanks very much! I'm going to try it out. If it doesn't work, I think I'll have to beat a few hobos senseless. :\

Metal Gear Rex
October 24th, 2009, 04:00
Make sure you're in a dark ally, or you're screwed. I speak from experience...

That Sinful Imp!
October 24th, 2009, 05:08
Well changing the comparability didn't work :\ Still crashes for no apparent reason.
Took me a while to reply. Had to go all the way to Reno Av. to find a hobo..

That Sinful Imp!
October 25th, 2009, 01:07
Changed it from 2000 to 98. lasted longer with out crashing, but it still crashes. What other options do I have?

Evi
October 25th, 2009, 01:09
Waiting for the Unoffical Patch 1.80 to be finshed to get rid of the crashes? :D

That Sinful Imp!
October 25th, 2009, 01:57
I suppose. I'm surprised they keep making them. I figured Bullfrog quit with DK. I really wish they'd gone through with the third one though :(

Metal Gear Rex
October 25th, 2009, 02:16
I suppose. I'm surprised they keep making them. I figured Bullfrog quit with DK. I really wish they'd gone through with the third one though :(

That's why it's unnofficial. :P

dk2player
October 25th, 2009, 02:21
we will never get rid of crashes. even the best games crash. but we can make them less frequent

Pizu_Meaku
October 25th, 2009, 11:53
I have the same problem, its kind of anoying. I use the latest patch, yes i do use compacitibilty. Also downloaded it :)

Hapuga
October 25th, 2009, 12:40
Decrease game graphics. change resolution ingame. disable water transparency. disable hardware acceleration.

I don't know what really helps out of these, but if you use all of those things listed above, you should get less crashes. That's how it works for me.

Stiekel
October 25th, 2009, 21:54
Oke did you try running DK2 on 1 CPU? Also do you have a ATI graphic card?
About that DK2 is never ever stable, well thats not true for myself, its rock stable here even on Windows 7 :)

Hapuga
October 26th, 2009, 11:05
Listen guys, this is important.

I'm currently testing a map I'm making, and the longer I test, the more I am convinced that I'm right.

DK2 seems to crash when you have a map with AI and you do not encounter him for a long time. I tested everything, removing hero parties, changing/removing triggers, editing map details, changing portal numbers...

It works like this: if you have a map where you and AI are separated by a complex terrain (meaning that you cannot dig directly to each other) you will crash after about 1300-1800 seconds of game time. How did I count? By paydays and triggers =)

I noticed an interesting pattern. In both 1.3 and 1.7 versions, AI first tries to expand. When he has the graveyard built, he decides to search for opponents. That's where problems begin. If he cannot find a way to dig to enemies (btw AI is a cheater, has the map revealed even when you have fog of war) he crashes.

Take this into account. If you make an AI map, make it relatively simple.

Hapuga
October 26th, 2009, 11:07
Oh! almost forgot. Game speed is a game crashing cause too. Decrease game speed to about 150% and you should be fine. After about 200% problems begin.

Stiekel
October 26th, 2009, 19:19
Can you share that map? I can test this out if you want to.
In Level17 both AI also have problems digging to you due the design of the map, they are even digging a circle lol.

About that the AI does not have fog of war and thus cheating, why the hell is it using sight of evil? :P

Hapuga
October 26th, 2009, 19:39
About that the AI does not have fog of war and thus cheating, why the hell is it using sight of evil? :P

Good point! I wish I knew =) I think its more of a warning sign, you hear that someone uses sight of evil, and it triggers that danger is close hehe =)

I will post my map when I catch all the bugs, perfect the balance, and add all bonuses =)

Ahh.. going after Blizzard in their way of making things lately =) one great map is better than 5 average play-and-forgets. "When it's done" (c) ;)

That Sinful Imp!
October 27th, 2009, 02:19
Man I have no idea what you guys are talking about! I'm only at Imp status >.<
I'll have to take the advice from before. I hate to decrease all that nifty graphic effects, but if that's what it takes. :\ I'm the kind of person who HAS to have everything as awesome-sauce as possible. (everything in my Sims is set as high as possible even)

I tried making my own map, but it doesn't show on Skirmish. I'm disappointed.
What is this, AI in which you speak of?
*n00b*

Evi
October 27th, 2009, 02:32
I tried making my own map, but it doesn't show on Skirmish. I'm disappointed.
*n00b*

Click open Level at the top of the screen, click Edit Level Variables and there should be a checkbox called Skirmish. Click it and save, and it can be played on Skirmish now.

That Sinful Imp!
October 27th, 2009, 02:57
Hey, thanks! I'm gonna try that out :D

Evi
October 27th, 2009, 03:01
No problem. :D

Hapuga
October 27th, 2009, 10:38
AI stands for artificial intellect. Computer-controlled keeper. He tends to be a reason for many crashes.

Pizu_Meaku
October 27th, 2009, 10:40
I am wondering, if the AI is improved by using bridges. Should it solve the problem? Also, shouldn't standart maps be safe for this to happen? because i find it pretty tight that standart maps crash the game.

Hapuga
October 27th, 2009, 15:59
What do you mean by "standard" maps?

AI is quite good at using bridges actually. However, his strightfowardness is killing me all the time =) if there is something of importance in front (a portal, enemy keeper or gold) he will build a bridge that vectors to that position directly. He usually ends up building bridges in impenetrable rocks or impassable terrain by using those tactics =)

Madkill
October 27th, 2009, 22:22
even the best games crash.

Maybe for you. :spider:

Stiekel
October 28th, 2009, 12:36
Well if any one got a theory about map crashing and got a map for it, please share it. I got a laptop (Vista 32 bit) that i am not using so i can run that map for days.

That Sinful Imp!
October 31st, 2009, 00:19
I used to use and hate vista, but after having needed to switch to XP...I miss it so bad D:<
My game still crashes btw.
I think..that we should play against each other sometime.

Hyzoran
November 14th, 2009, 03:13
Good point! I wish I knew =) I think its more of a warning sign, you hear that someone uses sight of evil, and it triggers that danger is close hehe =)

I will post my map when I catch all the bugs, perfect the balance, and add all bonuses =)

Ahh.. going after Blizzard in their way of making things lately =) one great map is better than 5 average play-and-forgets. "When it's done" (c) ;)

Th AI uses sight of evil because the AI cannot legally use lighting spells or anything outside it's Line Of Sight, for example, the AI knows exactly where everything is, but the AI cannot cast a spell outside its line of sight because the spell or some other coding is set to allow only spells in the line of sight, and the Sight Of Evil counts as line of sight, its kinda hard to explain.

Lunanoko
November 14th, 2009, 11:01
I play DK2 on Windows 7 (quite similar to Vista) with all graphic settings on low/off. This has reduced my crashes from very often to rarely.

For example, I played 5 levels of the campaign yesterday without a crash, while with the default settings it would probably have crashed at the first level I played.

Before that, I used the unofficial 1.73 patch, but it didn't solve anything for me... :confused: Even the main menu was still laggy, which, (according to the release notes) shouldn't happen anmyore...

So, everything on low = enjoy the show ;)

That Sinful Imp!
November 25th, 2009, 17:16
My game still crashes from time to time, but the hints here really helped reduce them.
I have another issue though, not something to do with the hardware but rather things IN the game.
For example, my creatures will complain that they have no food or pay when I have ample chickens and money. Do they complain just to complain or am I suppose to do something specific? I have a large hatchery and gobs of money..
Also, the things Mr. VoiceGuy says like, "You're dungeon is full of yoghurt" or "your dungeon floor is lump, command your creatures to jump up and down" mean anything or is Mr. VoiceGuy just..talking about random stuff?
Also, when my portals have attracted as many creatures as they can, is there a way around that? I.E. sacrifices, claiming more portals, or allowing some creatures to leave? I find myself in need of trolls and bile demons, so will a larger workshop attract more?
You'd think somebody who's played DK as long as I have would know this stuff..

Lunanoko
November 26th, 2009, 19:22
Your creatures complain because they are so stupid. Their food and gold must be really close for them to find it in time.

I think it works as follows:
1. Creature is hungry.
2. Start a timer (unseen by the player) and walk to nearest hatchery.
3. If timer elapses before hatchery is reached, say that your creatures cannot find food.

I think it works like this because almost every time I get a message like 'your creatures are hungry' and I check on the creature, it is walking to or just arriving at a hatchery! That would explain my timer theory.

For the second question: yes, these things are totally random messages and they are just in there for fun :-) Don't worry about them.

Your third question: I think a bigger room only helps to raise your maximum number of a certain creature type, not the chance to attract them. Personally, I just throw out creatures I don't want to make room for other creatures to arrive. The Bile Demon does need a 5x5 Hatchery by the way... ;) And... sacrificing helps too, yes :-)

Hapuga
November 26th, 2009, 23:05
Your creatures complain because they are so stupid. Their food and gold must be really close for them to find it in time.

I think it works as follows:
1. Creature is hungry.
2. Start a timer (unseen by the player) and walk to nearest hatchery.
3. If timer elapses before hatchery is reached, say that your creatures cannot find food.

I think it works like this because almost every time I get a message like 'your creatures are hungry' and I check on the creature, it is walking to or just arriving at a hatchery! That would explain my timer theory.

For the second question: yes, these things are totally random messages and they are just in there for fun :-) Don't worry about them.

Your third question: I think a bigger room only helps to raise your maximum number of a certain creature type, not the chance to attract them. Personally, I just throw out creatures I don't want to make room for other creatures to arrive. The Bile Demon does need a 5x5 Hatchery by the way... ;) And... sacrificing helps too, yes :-)

All these stats are found in the editor, under the map variables. some easy corrections, and your creatures are never hungry, or, less complaining.

Noticed a bug. Rogue won't go to hatchery while exploring. Gets angry and leaves, lol.

That Sinful Imp!
November 28th, 2009, 19:48
All these stats are found in the editor, under the map variables. some easy corrections, and your creatures are never hungry, or, less complaining.

Noticed a bug. Rogue won't go to hatchery while exploring. Gets angry and leaves, lol.
Pfft Silly Rogue *handflail*
I'm gonna edit that then. I seem to have the most problems with Trolls and Rogues pretty much all the other niftier creatures. I especially hate losing my trolls.
OH! Totally irrelevant;
Yesterday I was playing and I'd possessed my mistress and was taking care of some business, y'know? Then a creature had gotten a Jackpot. All my years of playing I didn't know that that made enemy creatures stop and dance. (That really helped actually) I saw three imps dancing in a circle and I could not help but "AAAAAAAAAAAAW!!!"
I'm a sucker for imps <3
The Goblin doing Micheal Jackson was super lulz.

That Sinful Imp!
November 28th, 2009, 22:35
Also, my custom made levels don't show up in the Skirmish Map chooser. How can I fix this?

Duke Ragereaver
November 28th, 2009, 22:43
Also, my custom made levels don't show up in the Skirmish Map chooser. How can I fix this?

Did you set it as a Skirmish map? This can be done in 'Level Varriables' in the editor.

Lunanoko
November 28th, 2009, 23:40

Sounds very logical :o I never did anything with the editor except create some basic levels :D Never knew you could alter so much!

That Sinful Imp!
November 29th, 2009, 04:51
Did you set it as a Skirmish map? This can be done in 'Level Varriables' in the editor.
Yeah I checked out the info here and on the page specific for these things. Thus far I've done what I've needed to make it available. or so I think. It would be nice if there was a guide or check list. If I ever figure it out, maybe I'll do that.

Duke Ragereaver
November 29th, 2009, 08:22
Yeah I checked out the info here and on the page specific for these things. Thus far I've done what I've needed to make it available. or so I think. It would be nice if there was a guide or check list. If I ever figure it out, maybe I'll do that.

There is. ;)

http://keeper.lubie.org/dk2_docs/dk2_editor_manual.htm

That Sinful Imp!
November 29th, 2009, 18:59
There is. ;)

http://keeper.lubie.org/dk2_docs/dk2_editor_manual.htm
Thanks bunches!

Madkill
November 30th, 2009, 02:30
Are they in the 'map' folder directory? Maybe you're saving them into the wrong area by mistake.

That Sinful Imp!
November 30th, 2009, 02:47
I'm pretty sure I'm not. They save in the same folder as the official maps.

Madkill
November 30th, 2009, 05:24
I'm pretty sure I'm not. They save in the same folder as the official maps.

As long as you've checked that they're in there, then no need to worry. :spider:

That Sinful Imp!
December 3rd, 2009, 04:49

RaiGen245
January 18th, 2016, 13:13
Hey, as for the game crashes, you should check also a similar thread on GOG Forum:

>>> Dungeon Keeper 2 stability issues <<< (http://www.gog.com/forum/dungeon_keeper_series/dungeon_keeper_2_stability_issues)