PDA

View Full Version : DK2 works great!

Celtik
April 6th, 2014, 18:11
Hi everyone, I'm Celtik and I used to play DK2 like 12 years ago! I got nostalgic and I wanted to play it again just to remember the good old times :p

I read on this forum that a lot of folks have problem running DK2. Maybe I'm lucky but I have no issue whatsoever with the game so if that could help some people here's what I did.

My specs:
Win 7 64 bits
2x GTX 660 Ti driver 335.23

I downloaded DK2 silver edition here : http://dungeon-keeper.net/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=79&func=fileinfo&id=264
I installed it on the default path with Deamon Tool and I have all administrator rights. Then I deleted the maps folder in Bullfrog\Dungeon Keeper II\Data\editor. Then I extracted all files from the GIM v0.95 in the DK2 folder. I created a shortcut of DKII.exe (NOT DKII-DX.exe) and I run it using Windows 2000 compatibility mode, I didn't check any of the settings below that and I didn't add any command lines.

In the game graphics options I have eveything checked (water translucency, environment mapping, hardware acceleration) and resolution is 1024x768. Maybe I could change this to 1920x1080 but it's ok right now. I played three skirmishes in a row and then I launched the 1st map from the Kasabian campaign with the commande line this time. I had no issue so I hope this could help.

Anyway it's good to see that there are still people playing this awesome game.

Metal Gear Rex
April 6th, 2014, 18:40
DKII is a very strange beast, no one truly understands how it works to this very day.

I have a cracked 1.3 version of the game for ages, it was used so my brothers and I could play the game together when we were younger without having to buy it again. It works just fine on crappy Windows 8. Yet, when I tried to install DKII via disk, 1.3 didn't work at all. Neither did 1.7, for that matter. But 1.51 did. When I tried out GIM, I couldn't get the 1.51 version of the game to work, for some reason. But the 1.7 version worked just fine.

So yeah, good luck figuring that one out.

grizzly
July 11th, 2014, 18:36
Hi everyone, I'm Celtik and I used to play DK2 like 12 years ago! I got nostalgic and I wanted to play it again just to remember the good old times :p

Anyway it's good to see that there are still people playing this awesome game.

I tryed to relaunch my DK2 - but it crashed all time.
Used your 'workaround' - no Problems until now ;) thanks for that :)

My Config:
Win 7 x64
GTX 570 Phantom
i5-5370K

Greetz
Grizzly