PDA

View Full Version : The Combat Pit (Ladder) Rules

dotted
August 30th, 2009, 11:31
In order for the ladder to function properly it needs some rules. Unfortunately I'm no expert, and as such cannot help much in making the rules.

What i can say is that

The Combat Pit should be suitable for the majority of players
Very advanced play that will pwn nubs back to the stone age is discouraged

The idea is allow new players on the ladder, but without making it the "nub ladder".

Ofc a hardcore ladder can easily be made aswell if you guys want it, but this topic is for The Combat Pit, so please stay on topic.

dk2player
August 30th, 2009, 15:12
I say these need to be the rules, for offical games

Can:

Use all rooms, spells, traps and doors.
Use all Creatures
Use player made maps, if all players have it.
Play at anytime.
Use any speed
Can't:

Use Elites
Use Temple sacrafices
Use Horny
Take advantage of the fact that yu might be playing a n00b
count games that crash, even if you were about to win.

Duke Ragereaver
August 30th, 2009, 16:01
Or we could make limitations to make challanges to let people finish them, ranging from very easy ones (won a game with no elite for example) to very hard ones (you've won a game without making use of high level creatures[black knights, vampires, dark angels, all elites]. I'm a bit worried though this system could be abused, but we could set set rules before finished challanges are accepted. Confirmation from opponents in that game should also be nessesary or from a third party.

dk2player
August 30th, 2009, 16:44
Or we make a match, agree on a set rules, and then, when finished, whoever is incharge of the ladder give points based on how hard the game must've been.

dotted
August 30th, 2009, 18:20
Or we make a match, agree on a set rules, and then, when finished, whoever is incharge of the ladder give points based on how hard the game must've been.
If matches can have different rules in the ladder, this ladder will be useless. The rules needs to be fixed so match results are compareable

Ðârk Âñgêl
August 30th, 2009, 18:45
not agreed with the first 4 CANT rules.

i dont join the ladder yet, but still i want all players to be allowed to use all features of the game. we like this game how it is, so why leaving out things ?

"Take advantage of the fact that yu might be playing a n00b"

no matter if you go easy or not, you will win vs a noob, if you are experienced. whats the point losing deribelatery ?
the newbie knows that he is a newbie and has to expect that he will lose vs experienced players, thats normal. for that he has chances against other newbies on the ladder.

i agree with the last point, but i think you cant really count it as a rule. because there is always only a win when you win and not when you are about to win.

dotted
August 30th, 2009, 18:51
Im talking about using game mechanics in such a way that the game designers didnt intend for. If they exist ofc. It is basicly cheat prevention, it is not like preventing superweapons in a C&C RTS

Patrician
August 30th, 2009, 21:01
Dark Angel does have a point, we should accept the game for what it is and that includes elites, possession and temple sacrifices. I feel, for the purpose of the ladder, that anything and everything goes. This is perhaps the fairest way to go about it.

However, if it is possible, we could have a second ladder where rules are placed on how the game is played, with perhaps the limitations suggested above being implemented. This will allow gamers who are less keen on the rush tactics associated with elites and the massive waves of knights produced by temple recipes a chance to compete evenly with other keepers.

I would be keen on taking part in both ladders if it is possible to create another one. Dotted?

dk2player
August 31st, 2009, 00:36
"Take advantage of the fact that yu might be playing a n00b"

no matter if you go easy or not, you will win vs a noob, if you are experienced. whats the point losing deribelatery ?
the newbie knows that he is a newbie and has to expect that he will lose vs experienced players, thats normal. for that he has chances against other newbies on the ladder.

Yes you will win against a n00b, but don't take advantage of that and try to slaugher them so many times that they don't want to play the game any more

and further more, yes, we should encorge the game for what it has, but if you win without certain stuff will give you more pionts, or something like that.

Reward those for their acclomplishments, rather than not encoreging them.

dotted
August 31st, 2009, 06:28
Guys we can make as many ladders as we want, so a all is fair game ruleset ladder can easily be made (Hint: Why isnt there a thread on this yet ;)?). I just want this particular ladder to be semi-noob friendly. And in no was doesnt that mean noobs should be able to be #1. It means that very advanced play is discouraged and grey area stuff is not allowed.

Ðârk Âñgêl
August 31st, 2009, 21:05
but don't take advantage of that and try to slaugher them so many times that they don't want to play the game any more

i would never do this, i think no one would do this.
if i play newbies i play like a newbie, too and try to stay on his level as long its not too dangerous for me.

all the ladder ideas are nice,
but activity of players and stability of the game will always be the most important problems, like they have been before. i hope multiplayer will be more successful on this forum, even if i dont take part from the start, maybe later.

dotted
September 1st, 2009, 06:24
What about version of the game, we are obviously using atleast version 1.70, but there is a unoffical 1.73 that includes some fixes and a no-cd crack. It worked wonderfully on my Vista PC with hardware acceleration, but haven't been able to test multiplayer yet.

Ðârk Âñgêl
September 1st, 2009, 15:27
you may keep the unofficial 1.73 version.
we should copy the multiplayer guide from old forum, all points should be listed.

Madkill
September 7th, 2009, 04:07
--Suggestions--

I'd exclude Dark Angel and Black Knights as well as the Horned Reaper to be honest.

They are the three units which unbalance the game and its really no fun at all when you're basically racing to see who can mass the most Dark Angels and Black Knights and then call-to-arms rush the other player.

So, laddered matches should exclude Dark Angels and Black Knights as this doesn't show skill. Pretty much shows how boring you can make online play. Be a real dungeon keeper and try to prove your good at the game by not using them.

I'm so glad that Dungeon Keeper II has that 'creature amount' feature. That's probably the most genius part in the entire game.

Ðârk Âñgêl
September 7th, 2009, 14:57
games without black knights and dark angels are fun.

Hapuga
November 1st, 2009, 11:56
About the noobs. This is hardly possible.

How do we measure? In F1 they have a time drive, which positions each racer on a place according to their time result of the lap. How can we do a similar thing in DK?