PDA

View Full Version : Your Best maps for 1.7 Skirmish vs bots (GIP)?

kirbyking
October 15th, 2014, 17:24
Hey all since i bought the GoG version i'v patched it with the general improvement mod and downloaded the extra maps, currently trying to find a good skirmish map vs Conqueror bots. Can anyone recommended any map they used which was genuinely challenging? I'v downloaded all of the ones that came with the GIP mod but would like to hear from someone currently playing challenging games vs skirmish.

Thanks

Hapuga
October 15th, 2014, 21:03
if you modify the original levels, they may prove very challenging. The AI is crippled with bad logistics, bad navigation, bad expansion and attack patterns. I enhanced some of my favorite levels with triggers and easily recognizable dig/expand patterns that the AI seems to prefer, and the game has become much more interesting.

Basic things to consider when enhancing a level:
- give AI a gem patch. Placement may require some testing, because sometimes AI goes into digging frenzy and does nothing else but dig gold and build enormous treasuries. I found that most of the time, one of the dungeon heart sides is a good place. For example if the side goes like

O O O O O O
O O
O O

O O
O O
O O O O O O

you can place the gem seam in following places:

O X O O X O
X X
O O

O O
X X
O X O O X O

- give AI units. Seriously, give AI some units one in a while. At least you will not encounter flies and goblins 90% of the time.
- model the dungeon. For some reason, vanilla Swiss Cheese green keeper does not expand, and goes claiming all the portals, game to game. I noticed that this is happening due to the gold behind it. I rearranged the gold seams, and AI started working properly.

kirbyking
October 17th, 2014, 16:17
if you modify the original levels, they may prove very challenging. The AI is crippled with bad logistics, bad navigation, bad expansion and attack patterns. I enhanced some of my favorite levels with triggers and easily recognizable dig/expand patterns that the AI seems to prefer, and the game has become much more interesting.

Basic things to consider when enhancing a level:
- give AI a gem patch. Placement may require some testing, because sometimes AI goes into digging frenzy and does nothing else but dig gold and build enormous treasuries. I found that most of the time, one of the dungeon heart sides is a good place. For example if the side goes like

O O O O O O
O O
O O

O O
O O
O O O O O O

you can place the gem seam in following places:

O X O O X O
X X
O O

O O
X X
O X O O X O

- give AI units. Seriously, give AI some units one in a while. At least you will not encounter flies and goblins 90% of the time.
- model the dungeon. For some reason, vanilla Swiss Cheese green keeper does not expand, and goes claiming all the portals, game to game. I noticed that this is happening due to the gold behind it. I rearranged the gold seams, and AI started working properly.

Thank you, im amusing you mean the editor. I have yet to use it but i'll see how to do this myself. One up my friend!