PDA

View Full Version : Question about not mapmaking but land view making

UnknownMaster21
December 14th, 2014, 16:47
How?

I did read 7 times tutorial, but I do not understand. I try to make a land view for campaign, because it is one of the minor things left to do before releasing it, but I have no idea how to make it at all.

Pic is selected, it's size is right, format is right but making it work, impossible.

Also, the mentor speech works but only as in"intro" ( the first one), then suddenly, it doesn't.

So, where do I get proper software? no where, I did my own, though poorly. But it does not work.

I request an answers about if someone have made it on decent way. I have used to be with my campaign every day, though I will remake it a bit and test it. No .pot file will be available, as I had no clue how to make that either, but that's small thing.

So, anyone up? Please do not be too cold and say, "DIY sucker". Otherwise you would get fistpumped by balloon.

Thanks in advance, sorry to be dummy

YourMaster
December 14th, 2014, 17:03
You're talking about these instructions right: http://keeperfx.googlecode.com/svn-history/r580/trunk/keeperfx/docs/creating_campaigns.txt?

Where are you stuck? What is going wrong? Did you mange to get 22 RAW and 22 PAL files?

If so, try to replace one set from the original campaign, and see if it wants to load there. If not, there is something wrong with the file, if so, there is probably something wrong with the config-file.

I'm not sure what software you are talking about. Here (http://keeper.lubiki.pl/html/dk_keeperfx_devel.php) you can download the DK tools, but for making the picture files you need photoshop, which you can buy (I don't have it myself). I don't know any free software that can read/write raw/pal files.

UnknownMaster21
December 14th, 2014, 17:13
You're talking about these instructions right: http://keeperfx.googlecode.com/svn-history/r580/trunk/keeperfx/docs/creating_campaigns.txt?

Where are you stuck? What is going wrong? Did you mange to get 22 RAW and 22 PAL files?

If so, try to replace one set from the original campaign, and see if it wants to load there. If not, there is something wrong with the file, if so, there is probably something wrong with the config-file.

I'm not sure what software you are talking about. Here (http://keeper.lubiki.pl/html/dk_keeperfx_devel.php) you can download the DK tools, but for making the picture files you need photoshop, which you can buy (I don't have it myself). I don't know any free software that can read/write raw/pal files.

Yes I have photoshop and I managed to do it something, but yeah, could not make it any RAW or PAL files. I try to replacement later, let's see if anything happens.

dayokay
December 21st, 2014, 21:34
How are you getting on? I know darkkingkongman has generated landview files for his new Barbarian campaign recently. Maybe he can help? If you send me the script files I will make your .pot file.

dayokay

UnknownMaster21
December 22nd, 2014, 03:06
How are you getting on? I know darkkingkongman has generated landview files for his new Barbarian campaign recently. Maybe he can help? If you send me the script files I will make your .pot file.

dayokay

Excellent! a help what I would get, I appreciate it highly!

Well, I have slowed down greatly, levels are good looking and original, though some ideas are taken from YourMaster, obviously as helped me on the scripts, ( I did know almost nothing about scripting, until now )

Maps are decided to be a simple but interesting, as there is a plot. I will remake the narrator voice as I am not happy about that, also I am adding the storyline a bit due the thing it doesn't make much sense, so I am already remaking it.

But no worries, it will be ready on 2015 February at least to be previewed and then sending a copy to each one who are able and want to help me out. Obviously you get your share on credits. More info when things look more solid.

EDIT: Stay tuned about bonus levels ;) There I can tell you an idea is very original ^^

EDIT2: About the replacement and so on, I did not even understand what I was doing? ;Confused lol

YourMaster
December 25th, 2014, 17:16
If you share what you have, I'll make you a landview.

dayokay
December 25th, 2014, 17:26
That is a very festive offer!

In truth, many of us would appreciate much clearer instructions on how to do this. The existing ones assume a level of knowledge beyond many of us. Those command line tools look very complicated.

I don't suppose we could hope for the ability to use 'normal' jpgs in high definition widescreen any time soon?

dayokay

YourMaster
December 25th, 2014, 19:34
Well, sure, but personally I'd rather have Mefisto focusing on enhancing the game further and finishing the rewrite instead of writing some documentation or spending time on maintaining campaigns. When everything is finished the content can be created.

It would be nice at some point if he'd get rid of the 8-bit limitation at some point, but I'm sure that is something that will be addressed at some point. I made a small batch file that automatically creates a landview from a set of PNG's. I now have a pretty nice landview, just no campaign.:)

dayokay
December 25th, 2014, 21:19
I'm looking at getting Die-Hard dungeons ready for inclusion, and that needs a land-view, so I'd be happy to take it off your hands?

YourMaster
December 25th, 2014, 22:59
How many levels?

dayokay
December 26th, 2014, 15:03
same as original. 20 + 5 specials + moon.

thanks a lot!

YourMaster
December 26th, 2014, 16:48
Ok, enjoy. You still got to set the flags, I assume you know how to do so? I'd set them where the yellow arrows point.

dayokay
December 27th, 2014, 12:17
Great - thanks! Do you know the co-ordinates? No bother if you don't - I'll work it out.

thanks again.

dayokay

YourMaster
December 27th, 2014, 12:38
Nope.

mefistotelis
December 27th, 2014, 17:18
with the images in PNG/BMP format, it's easy to get the correct coords even in Windows Paint program - they're shown in status bar.

YourMaster
December 27th, 2014, 23:23
Good point.

[map00001]
ENSIGN_POS = 945 510

[map00002]
ENSIGN_POS = 860 455

[map00003]
ENSIGN_POS = 753 372

[map00004]
ENSIGN_POS = 713 484

[map00005]
ENSIGN_POS = 822 622

[map00006]
ENSIGN_POS = 770 187

[map00007]
ENSIGN_POS = 635 145

[map00008]
ENSIGN_POS = 526 224

[map00009]
ENSIGN_POS = 825 735

[map00010]
ENSIGN_POS = 702 595

[map00011]
ENSIGN_POS = 782 815

[map00012]
ENSIGN_POS = 692 707

[map00013]
ENSIGN_POS = 618 672

[map00014]
ENSIGN_POS = 543 715

[map00015]
ENSIGN_POS = 529 564

[map00016]
ENSIGN_POS = 366 654

[map00017]
ENSIGN_POS = 213 804

[map00018]
ENSIGN_POS = 265 109

[map00019]
ENSIGN_POS = 286 527

[map00020]
ENSIGN_POS = 436 547

UnknownMaster21
March 1st, 2015, 14:52
I have actually 21 levels + 4 bonus levels, no other levels included. Is that a problem?

I am soon perhaps going to send a picture, which needs to be converted to RAW and PAL version. I was going to change a viframe look, is that possible?

EDIT: ( I will be all day on @ on these forums, so I assume the information goes fast on both ways :) )

EDIT2: I think I am going to re-re-edit the pic, as I want to share some atmosphere. Starting at mid-morning, ending to the near midnight

YourMaster
March 1st, 2015, 15:23
I don't know if campaigns of more than 20 maps are allowed, my guess is 'no'.

I don't understand your question about the vidframe.

UnknownMaster21
March 1st, 2015, 15:28
What was the command to skip level by level in campaign? I test it now

YourMaster
March 1st, 2015, 15:31
If you have the -ALEX command line parameter, you can use Ctrl+F9 and Ctrl+F10 on the worldmap to select levels.

I'm looking at getting Die-Hard dungeons ready for inclusion, and that needs a land-view, so I'd be happy to take it off your hands?

Is your campaign still coming?

UnknownMaster21
March 1st, 2015, 15:46
I tried to test and after 17th selection of map, the game crashed :O

EDIT: If cannot put 21 maps, can I put one bonus level then AFTER final level? I mean when you beat the whole campaign, an extra level occurs after that, is it possible?

EDIT2: INTERESTINGLY! I can actually PUT 21 maps! It works, the vireframe itself have corrupted insomewhere other campaign where I did copy or so
EDIT3: This is interesting, it actually takes off one map from the campaign. Try it yourself, try to make a campaign, which has 21 levels. Do you get same problem? after 16-17th map it goes black, but still I can skip it and go further. Problem with me or?

EDIT:4 Yeah, I can actually put 21 maps, but 17th one is taken on black screen, but I can still skip it by CTRL+F10 and then comes 18, 19, 20 and 21

EDIT5: Warning: Block [map03681] not found in Campaign config file. <- It is there, but it says this? :O EDIT6: This was typo as 003681, my bad

EDIT6: All typos fixed. You can have more than 20 levels! Not sure if still counting 5 extra levels, so I keep 4 only ( and decent ones )

But I can confirm. You can have more than 20 levels on campaign!

mefistotelis
March 1st, 2015, 19:08
But I can confirm. You can have more than 20 levels on campaign!

Yes, the limit is now set to CAMPAIGN_LEVELS_COUNT = 50.

For bonus levels, the limits is BONUS_LEVEL_STORAGE_COUNT = 6

UnknownMaster21
March 1st, 2015, 19:11
Oh good to know, but I stick on 21+4, because I want badly to release the campaign. It is close to make it out. I hope everyone is pleased to at least even to give a try. More info when everything is ready, it is now about 90%. All maps are ready however, needs little tweak there and there. Plot is also ready ( if you can say it plot, at least I tried )

( There are some secrets, oops...)

EDIT: Do I need to put this somewhere on my campaign: CAMPAIGN_LEVELS_COUNT = 50. ?

mefistotelis
March 1st, 2015, 20:24
EDIT: Do I need to put this somewhere on my campaign: CAMPAIGN_LEVELS_COUNT = 50. ?

Limits are hard-coded in the game:
https://code.google.com/p/keeperfx/source/browse/trunk/keeperfx/src/config_campaigns.h

YourMaster
March 2nd, 2015, 02:39
On most of the custom campaigns I see that people use real photos for landview making, on which they partly change the color for each level. This generally doesn't look to hot.

My advise to everybody that wants to do a landview, is to use one of the following methods instead:

Use a computer image(as opposed to a photo) as a basis, and make parts of it red.
Make your own photos using stopmotion ('http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_motion'). (Make 22 pictures of a single scene and add/remove something between shots))
Get a proper artist make you 22 consecutive drawings.

The first one is by far the easiest of course. I did something to illustrate:
1575 1576 1577.

I converted this to a landview. UM, if you want this one instead of the one you asked me to convert earlier, feel free. If not, everybody is welcome to it:
https://mega.co.nz/#!yJYRBbhT!2vHwCBP0_AjCpwcdE7iBWzOb7erNeok6p4iRxtw tUmY

UnknownMaster21
March 2nd, 2015, 12:37
I did released my campaign already, but thanks.

If I get good and new idea to set up another one, I will use it. The thing is I wanted and tried to make everything myself as much as possible.

We'll see. Who knows what will coming next, but anyway, try a campaign...

Woudo
March 2nd, 2015, 16:02
When's the ETA on that last terraria update anyway?

YourMaster
March 2nd, 2015, 16:39
I did released my campaign already, but thanks.
If I get good and new idea to set up another one, I will use it. The thing is I wanted and tried to make everything myself as much as possible.

We'll see. Who knows what will coming next, but anyway, try a campaign...

Ok, I will try it, but my PC blew up this morning. And it is like I'm living in the 18th century, so it is going to take me at least a week to get all the parts. I'm now on a machine that could play keeper95 very well. So I'll see what happens, if it plays FX.

When's the ETA on that last terraria update anyway?

I don't know, never played terraria, I just imaged searched a 2D castle pic because UM21 had a castle for a landview.

kix
February 26th, 2019, 17:01

Is there any functional link for this?
Also, what are pal files for?

YourMaster
February 26th, 2019, 19:39
It moved from google code to github, so that exact link moved here (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dkfans/keeperfx/master/keeperfx/docs/creating_campaigns.txt).
However, I would suggest to go to this wiki page instead: https://github.com/dkfans/keeperfx/wiki/Creating-a-new-campaign

And pal files are color-information.

kix
February 26th, 2019, 20:50
It moved from google code to github, so that exact link moved here (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dkfans/keeperfx/master/keeperfx/docs/creating_campaigns.txt).
However, I would suggest to go to this wiki page instead: https://github.com/dkfans/keeperfx/wiki/Creating-a-new-campaign

And pal files are color-information.

Im dumb: I was on wiki but missed the sidebar menu. Thanks

Lionel90
June 29th, 2020, 03:31
Hello
Is it possible to revert the process from the landview files ?
I mean, to convert those back to a proper .png file (or whatever convenient graphic file) ?

YourMaster
June 29th, 2020, 08:25
I don't think so, but you can just download those images. It's in the GFX source data you'll find here (https://lubiki.keeperklan.com/html/dk_keeperfx_devel.php).

Lionel90
June 29th, 2020, 20:13
Thank you.
Well, not exactly what I am looking for.
Better than nothing.

YourMaster
June 29th, 2020, 22:10
If not this, what were you looking for?

Lionel90
July 5th, 2020, 08:35
I'd like to create some personnal thumbnails for Youtube, with the land view changing from level to level, from whatever campaign, and if it was possible, without the tower window in the way.
Since it doesn't look possible, It's screenshot time I guess.

thanks for your inputs.

YourMaster
July 5th, 2020, 09:35
But that is possible,.. If you download the GFX archives you can find all the land views, as shown from each level. The pinpoints will be missing through, so you can photoshop those in. The pinpoints are also in the GFX archives.

Screenshots also work, and you can load the map up without the tower, if you remove the viframe files from the campaign folder.

Lionel90
July 6th, 2020, 08:46
My bad, sorry, I stopped at the general view from the original campaign and didn't notice the other.
It's what I am looking for.
Thank you.