PDA

View Full Version : Thug of War | The Death Clock

YourMaster
March 1st, 2015, 18:45
http://keeperklan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1574
Thug of War ('https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=113').
The heroes have a massive fortress filled with magic. Eventually they will find you and send in countless waves of their finest warriors.
Can you push the attackers back into the well defended fortress to steal vital plans and stop their relentless onslaught,
or will they crush you before you manage to raise an army of your own?

Since KeeperFX r1610 ('http://keeper.lubiki.pl/html/dk_keeperfx_nightly.php') it is possible to detect the number of heroes in your army, so I've made new map to show how this feature can be used to spice up the levels. Download it here ('https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=113').
In this topic ('https://keeperklan.com/threads/4951-Minor-room-balance-changes-would-have-made-DK1-a-far-better-game') I argued that reducing the effectiveness of prisons would be good, so now that this is kinda possible, that is what I did.

This map:

Turns imprisonment off when you have too many skeletons.
Turns imprisonment off when you have a few heroes in your army.
Ignores the heroes in reaching the portal limit.
Has randomized timers, so each replay is different (for Krizzy).
Has super-powered dragons(if you get them).

I've followed many of the principles I listed in this topic ('https://keeperklan.com/threads/4914-Guide-to-fun-DK1-maps') but made a far more traditional map. You will be attacked by hero parties, that will stop coming when you claim more of their fortress. However, the fortress itself is protected by even more heroes.
Even though there are no cheap deaths, not all of you will survive your fist attempt.

Note the image of the level has been censored to not spoil the level, do not use it as a map.

Feedback welcome of course, I'm sure I made some mistakes. And I'd like to know if you enjoyed it and why (not).

EDIT: RANDOM Command has been renamed to DRAWFROM ('https://keeperklan.com/threads/4963-RANDOM-command-replaced-by-DRAWFROM-command'), map has been updated to match. Map now requires version 0.4.5.1624 or newer to play.

YourMaster
March 1st, 2015, 18:45
http://keeperklan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1588
The Death Clock ('https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=110').
Heroes have destroyed this dungeon before and left you and your rival powerless.
Now that you are back to reclaim it they are amassing a massive army to finish the job once and for all.
The clock is ticking, gather your scattered forces in time to repel the attack or see the light return permanently to this realm.

I've also made a small update to my earlier map. Before I had made this easy enough for everybody to see everything the map had to offer before time ran out to discuss some of the design features discussed in this topic ('https://keeperklan.com/threads/4914-Guide-to-fun-DK1-maps'). As that topic has died down I now upped the pressure and processed the feedback I received to make it more enjoyable to play.

Download it here ('https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=110'). Requires KeeperFX ('http://keeper.lubiki.pl/html/dk_keeperfx_dwnld.php') 0.4.5.1624 ('http://keeper.lubiki.pl/html/dk_keeperfx_nightly.php') or later.

This map features:
A 5 minute first-person introduction to claim your dungeon and imps
83 minutes to build the dungeon, acquire rooms, creatures and gold
A massive battle at the end to see if you managed to get a strong enough army
A challenge without any cheap deaths.

UnknownMaster21
March 2nd, 2015, 22:19
This thug of war is pretty, pretty hard. I was close to manage it to make it victorious, but my heart got destroyed, as I was little too busy...

This map is alot of actions and forces to make it out. Not my kind of style to play, but I liked it. I will finish it after I get back to mood to play it

YourMaster
March 3rd, 2015, 00:03
Well, if you were close to being victorious and still got your heart destroyed, it really must have felt like a thug of war to play it:).

If you feel you get a bit to overwhelmed, notice the more rooms you take away from the heroes, the fewer parties they can send after you.

UnknownMaster21
March 3rd, 2015, 00:13
Yeah, I didn't really took away much rooms for heroes, didn't even realize it, even if told in objective/information... No wonder it was hard, I try again

UnknownMaster21
March 3rd, 2015, 09:46
I managed to destroy good dungeon heart, but not all the heroes. I got finally 0 creatures left, when herores had 2 only: 2 DWARFS, which ones were attacking my imps. I tried to save my heart for creating imps, and as it is 700 as generate speed, it was absolutely hard....

2 DWARFS ONLY... Also the hero party switched an odd going, just as odd as it was on the death clock, I don't know why or how, is it my gaming style or what it is, at least it did effect cool way, like having own brains...

You have to be fast, luckily Possess Spell were open, so I switched to Spider/Warlock when enemy incoming. Simply played time, abolutely hard was to balance them to get them to the exact place, where hordes or enemies were waiting, while castinc Max Conceal to Imp, while other heroes are raiding your dungeon, while other our creatures are annoyed, as no money(anymore)... Then I switched full power and barely made it... blah...

I love this map, but I also hate it, normal? :D

YourMaster
March 3rd, 2015, 10:02
I love this map, but I also hate it, normal? :D

I don't know, you're the first one to play it. I'm sure it is frustrating to just lose out, but that should lead to a bigger sense of accomplishment when you do win.

But I'm glad I got the balance right, barely dying to 2 dwarfs of such a massive army is really really close! (I think using lightning would have done more damage to your last 2 dwarfs then fighting imps!).
The heroes don't have a brain of their own of course, but I did make sure to not only spawn them based on time, but also when you trigger action points(usually shown by alarm traps), and often in a for the player inconvenient location. Also gave them different objectives, most of them are 'attack enemies' which throws you off, but for example the party that spawns close to the gems has 'steal gold' which causes them to kill your imps mining there. Basically I used my brains to make the heroes effective.

Small hints:
Get your demon spawn to level 7 as quickly as possible, when they have heal they are much more useful.
Train your demon spawn past level 10 to get dragons. On this map they are stronger than they usually are and a massive help.
Get the third entrance as soon as possible, this will really help you out. You don't have to wait until you get the bridge.

UnknownMaster21
March 3rd, 2015, 10:24
Keeper Spells, I do not want to touch them unless really must, like Conceal, without that I wouldn't have done this far...

I won't use them.... I was so close without them...

My small big spider will do it!

EDIT: I finally beated the map, but I used r1604... doesn't make big difference though... btw Dragons weren't that much of powerful, I suggest to limit them to 1, but give double or even triple amount of strenght and armour, like HyperDragon

YourMaster
March 3rd, 2015, 16:09
EDIT: I finally beated the map, but I used r1604... doesn't make big difference though... btw Dragons weren't that much of powerful, I suggest to limit them to 1, but give double or even triple amount of strenght and armour, like HyperDragon

Congratulations. I hope you enjoyed it. So, third attempt?

I didn't make the dragons overly powerful no, but upped the health and armour enough that I felt it made quite a difference in the final wave against the spellcasters.
By the way, changing strength on dragons would not make a difference as they do not have a melee attack.

UnknownMaster21
March 3rd, 2015, 16:41
I really want that enhancement, where creature can use same creature spell twice. That would be amazingly amazing.

Also setting a power for each spell for each creature, now therefore dragons with changed strenght would appear. :)

By the wway, actually, it was fifth attempt, and it was close call, this time I had only spider left and I possessed it and sniped remaining enemies. Luckily Avatar was surprisingly easily killed

EDIT: By the way, there is one error. I think you should limit hero appearing to 240 or so, if it happens to go like this

Best Start is 3 Spiders and 3 Demon Spawn, forget Fly... 2-4 Start is abolutely hard, 3-3 is good

YourMaster
March 3rd, 2015, 18:03
I really want that enhancement, where creature can use same creature spell twice. That would be amazingly amazing.

Also setting a power for each spell for each creature, now therefore dragons with changed strenght would appear. :)

By the wway, actually, it was fifth attempt, and it was close call, this time I had only spider left and I possessed it and sniped remaining enemies. Luckily Avatar was surprisingly easily killed

EDIT: By the way, there is one error. I think you should limit hero appearing to 240 or so, if it happens to go like this

Best Start is 3 Spiders and 3 Demon Spawn, forget Fly... 2-4 Start is abolutely hard, 3-3 is good

Well, with 5 attempts you surely got your money's worth! I guess you won't be replaying this one for a while!
Yes, I went for 3 spiders, 3 demon spawn and 2 trolls as well before I let the heroes notice me. And when I broke out and had the library to also quickly go for the barracks to get a well rounded army.

I don't understand the error,... you mean I should set the portal limit to 240 when have just heroes in your army?

UnknownMaster21
March 3rd, 2015, 18:42
Haven't watched the script, I tried to say that

IF(PLAYER_GOOD,TOTAL_CREATURES >= 240)
SET_TIMER_OFF(PLAYER_GOOD,TIMER5)
ENDIF

IF(PLAYER_GOOD,TOTAL_CREATURES <= 240)
SET_TIMER(PLAYER_GOOD,TIMER5)
ENDIF

or something like that, as I understood it is done with timers of heroes appearing..

But, can you set off timer anyway, other than putting it 0 always?

EDIT: if not, I would like to suggest one, to remove timers, as I do not know how to remove timers. Once they are set, you can not remove them really... I mean, feels those would be alot easy. No need to use flags or so, or can be used to be even more complicated

But of course, if used by NEXT_COMMAND_REUSABLE, that doesn't really matter, as if using FLAGS or exact event happened, the timers will not be resetted, and looped event will not occur anymore.

YourMaster
March 3rd, 2015, 18:53
You mean that the mistake is that if you never break out of your dungeon, eventually 255-6 heroes on the map?
I suppose that is true, but if you don't break out and claim the library before the parties begin to spawn the map will be more or less hopeless anyway. It would be neat set a hard limit for that, but I didn't have IF statements to spare, I used them all.

And no, you can't stop a timer with the script. You could set a whole block under a condition though:
IF(PLAYER_GOOD,TOTAL_CREATURES <= 240)
LOOP1
LOOP2
Loop3
ENDIF

UnknownMaster21
March 3rd, 2015, 21:33
Oh, okay, it's okay

YourMaster
April 28th, 2015, 09:03
People who downloaded 'Thug of War' but couldn't play it, a file was missing from the archive causing it to not show up in the list. I've updated the file so it should all work now.
Please let me know if you have any problems.

Woudo
May 2nd, 2015, 17:27
I finished Thug of War a few days ago. What an easy map, a real walk in the park, anyone that's new to the game should give it an honest go so they can warm up for the default DK campaign.

YourMaster
May 2nd, 2015, 20:14
I finished Thug of War a few days ago. What an easy map, a real walk in the park, anyone that's new to the game should give it an honest go so they can warm up for the default DK campaign.

That's just because you glitched past defeating the final wave!:rolleyes: Based on your feedback I changed the level so that isn't possible anymore.
I thought it was easier than several maps already included in the game, or like the maps from Duke Ragereaver.

@Metal Gear Rex, you thought The Death Clock was too easy, what do you think of the difficulty of this map?

Ecarus
October 26th, 2015, 02:11
The Death Clock[/]

Easy map once you get the trick, the only problem im having is for beating the last wave, im sure is because my patient and slow style of play, so i dont have enough creatures or lvl for beat them. But for killing the other heros around the map yes it is very easy. I will be a little bit faster next time.

btw @YourMaster, how old are you? I mean you are i think the most active person in the forum right now hahaha i can hire you a gf if you want :P

YourMaster
October 26th, 2015, 02:21
That's the point of the map, you have to grow strong enough in a short time or the final wave will destroy you. Complete the entire map before the time runs out.

I think you have the wrong idea, I'm more active now because I'm retired, not in school. And I'm not sure my wife would appreciate me getting a gf. Perhaps if you hire us a nanny that would work, but it would give me more time, not less.

Ecarus
October 26th, 2015, 17:37
:p It was just a joke, dont be so serious. Then i will assume you have +45 maybe? Im your fan #1 hahaha:rolleyes:

YourMaster
October 26th, 2015, 17:53
No worries, I took it as a joke. And no, I'm about a third younger than you guessed. When I retired I was in my late twenties, but no longer.

Gwame
September 13th, 2016, 23:08
I was going to post this in the Barbarian Campaign thread where we had our discussion, but I suppose it's more appropriate here.

I don't think a topic exists to share screenshots of dungeon designs, but feel free to make one.
And I was inspired by that starting layout of the final level, and did something similar for my 'Thug of War (https://keeperklan.com/threads/4960-Thug-of-War-The-Death-Clock)' map. I liked that because it forced you to make a different design than you're used to.

It was indeed a shame that darkkingkongman did his campaign in a single go and wanted to do many maps straight away. He says right in the OP that for many maps he struggled for idea's, which is very logical when you force yourself to do 20 maps in a single go. It seemed he spent so much time working on this, he was burned out and didn't want to continue.
Many of his maps have potential to be expended upon and be improved - and if he really would have treated this as a preview - he could have seen the feedback provided here as a positive and used it to make his 'final version' better still.

So I just played your Thug Of War map - it's ridiculously difficult haha.

First attempt, I had 3 spiders and 3 demon spawn when the level 2-3 heroes started raiding, and I ended up overwhelmed.

Second play, I trained quicker and waited as long as possible before digging out to gold that would expose my dungeon. I lasted a good while longer, but when I was faced with level 10 samurai/barbarian/giant parties along with level 8 witches who somehow have no recharge time on wind spell, and gangs of level 6 fairies, I was screwed. I had some level 8-10 spiders and demon spawn, 2 warlocks (level 2 and 4) and 3 orcs (level 2-3) and it wasn't enough. There would be around 4 separate parties approaching my dungeon at once and I couldn't beat them with enough time to heal for the next.

Challenging/frustrating and probably will require several more attempts. For now I'm going to give it a break and maybe pick it up again over the next few days.

YourMaster
September 13th, 2016, 23:23
It is a difficult map yes, of the few I published only Frozen Legion (https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=120) is more difficult. If this one is a bit much for you, try Wetlands (https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=115), as it is kinda similar but much easier.

However, this map is easily doable with the correct strategy. Keep in mind that the more you take away from the heroes, the weaker they get and the stronger you get. For example when the heroes don't have barracks anymore their low level party no longer comes. If you are too slow to push out, they will overwhelm you. By the time the Lvl 10 samurai comes you should have your tentacles to freeze him, and you've missed the troll and hounds help as well. When you dig out, really go on the offensive.

But, did you enjoy the layout?

Gwame
September 14th, 2016, 00:30
How are hounds and trolls supposed to come out without the appropriate rooms to attract them?

I'll push out earlier next time, it's trial and error I see. Can't really know the correct strategy until I've played far enough to know what happens. Do you recommend researching as soon as the library is acquired or focusing on training first? I had the warlocks training and the level 8+ demon spawn and spiders researching.

The layout is interesting. I just built small rooms around the square with guard posts to maximise efficiency, and made sure the tunnel leading to the heroes was as long as possible. I only got as far as claiming the barracks before I was too busy fighting to progress further. The map really punishes you for not utilising every second! I will get through it eventually, though maybe I'll try Wetlands if it makes it easier to build up the right sort of playing style for this level.

YourMaster
September 14th, 2016, 08:15
I'd say at least train your warlocks until lvl 3 before thinking about research. Training remains more important, but having some of the spells won't hurt, especially sight to see which rooms there are to claim. And note that if you're playing with a nightly build or KeeperFX 0.46U (https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=121) guardposts won't help with efficiency. Having the spiders/demon spawn researching sounds like a waste to me, if they can do that they can also fight to push onward and claim more rooms. And I wouldn't say it is trial and error, the level objective clearly states: "Heroes will attack. Raid their dungeon to gain power, or get crushed by the relentless heroes of this realm." This isn't a lie, you must attack or you'll be defeated. If you remember this, you should always win, but if you decide to turtle anyway, you'll die.

Basically this is the walkthrough for the level, so read on your own risk:

- Before you breach out, you can find a workshop to the north-west.
- You may train a bit before you breach out, but when you hear the heroes have found you you're late, quickly claim the library.
- Once you are healed up - time this right with when parties attack - claim your first barrack. When you're recovered from the counter attack also claim the second barracks so heroes don't have it available anymore.
- Quickly train up your Orcs a bit, when they have a few levels, I suggest to take the southern route first. If you're having trouble from the magical parties, go for their library first, if not, try to claim a prison.
- After you have either library or prison, find the second portal before taking the other room. At this point you should get a sizable army that can handle anything the map throws at you.
- Now decide: Push on to get the temple, or take the northern route to get the torture room. This depends on if you prefer skeletons or have some nice heroes to convert.
- Finish both routes now, get a large as possible army now with all the rooms you got, and prepare for the final assault by smartly placing traps: Spellcasting heroes will die easily to lighting traps. If you get dragons, they really help.
- Don't take too long, otherwise they will come out and destroy you. When you are ready, breach the final room with the hero hearth. Kill it and all heroes to win. Fight smartly, not every hero at once and use lightning to kill wizards and fairies.

General advice:
- Only have one entrance to your base to focus the fighting on, and you can use traps.
- If you don't have time to train all your creatures, be smart with the levels. Spiders are much more effective when they get freeze(use this spell well), demon spawn when they get heal, warlocks with heal/firebomb, trolls with speed, etc.
- If you slap a creature before a fight, it is 25% more efficient.
- Feed chickens to creatures if you quickly need them healed before a fight.

kix
February 13th, 2017, 09:51
Thug of War: Managed to win the level on 2nd try.

What I did was to wait until I have 3 spiders, 3 demon spawns. When demon spawn was lvl 3 I used the trick with water corner to get out of the dungeon in possession and fortified the corner so heroes can't visit me. In the possession broke through south dungeon and freed 2 bile demons.

Trained them to lvl 4 and then built a really long and crooked way out of my dungeon so heroes spend some time getting to it. Picked Disease and Chicken as soon as I could and when the party of 3 with :samurai: as lead came, I diseased the :samurai: . When they were close to my dungeon heart, I cast chicken on the samurai which caused him to retreat AND spread the disease among all the creatures in the long and crooked path. This way I only fought heroes that could heal themselves. Dropped imps in the isolated unclaimed path room east to gems so I have gold.

Visited north part of dungeon, claimed torture room and managed to covert 1 samurai. Received warning about time so I visited dungeon heart. Trapped the whole party in water using guard post. Dropped :dragon: in the portal because they were useless and expensive. With the only :orc: I had, grenade killed trapped wizards and then killed the knights one by one. Mistresses are now lvl 6 so I trapped :avatar: behind a lava spot and placed 3 mistresses and one samurai to kill him.

Very hard and intense but well made and wasn't full of traps/ some other things I hate on user made maps so I didn't give up.

YourMaster
February 13th, 2017, 10:41
Well done. Glad you enjoyed it.
I believe dropping the dragons in the portal was a mistake though, I gave them a big boost in power on this level so they really do pull their weight. And it sounds like you didn't find the troll hidden near your dungeon.