PDA

View Full Version : Creating new trap types

ZzZombo
March 17th, 2015, 10:39
I use the PRO version of the official editor that keeps teasing me about adding new types of stuff, but crashes whenever you try that. So, is there another way to do it? I has previously tried to mess with the Traps.kwd file, but it kept saying "Unknown section" after tinkering and either crashed when you try to view trap/door types or doesn't detect anything new at all.

Metal Gear Rex
March 17th, 2015, 19:16
Most of the "create new *something*" don't work, as the editor was never finished and the game probably wouldn't be compatible with more creatures / traps than intended. Even so, you'd still be limited by the lack of additional creature / trap meshes.

You can, however, create new objects, shot types, and creature spells.

Technically, you can also create up to 2 new Traps. The Hero Sentry Trap and the Hero Alarm Trap are duplicates of the non-Hero variation. In fact, the Hero Alarm Trap uses the same mesh, where as the Hero Sentry Trap at least has an alternative mesh but the stats are the same. You can change these to make new traps, but remember to remove the "Hero Trap" check mark and to also never directly place a Hero owned Sentry Trap / Alarm trap after you make changes else it will crash the editor. Simply make a different trap other than the one you want and then edit it afterwards.

ZzZombo
March 18th, 2015, 06:58
Even so, you'd still be limited by the lack of additional creature / trap meshes.I planned on reusing existing assets.

You can, however, create new objects, shot types, and creature spells.Wow, that's nice to hear! Thanks!

Technically, you can also create up to 2 new Traps. The Hero Sentry Trap and the Hero Alarm Trap are duplicates of the non-Hero variation<...>
Well, I can't make them to be placed into a keeper's Available Traps in my single player map, they don't appear in the list. As far as I can say, it is hardcoded into the editor that trap IDs 14-15 are hero traps and can't be created in Workshop no matter the "Is Good" flag set or not.

Skarok
March 18th, 2015, 07:30
Well, I can't make them to be placed into a keeper's Available Traps in my single player map, they don't appear in the list. As far as I can say, it is hardcoded into the editor that trap IDs 14-15 are hero traps and can't be created in Workshop no matter the "Is Good" flag set or not.

You need to give them to the player with a script. For example "When this level's time > 0 - make TrapX available to Player 1"

ZzZombo
March 18th, 2015, 13:33
Okay. I tried to add an area freezing attack to Firefly so it won't be worthless XP give away to enemy guards, wizards and arches, but I can't make it to reliably freeze all enemies in one tile radius around target. Any ideas?

Metal Gear Rex
March 18th, 2015, 19:08
Okay. I tried to add an area freezing attack to Firefly so it won't be worthless XP give away to enemy guards, wizards and arches, but I can't make it to reliably freeze all enemies in one tile radius around target. Any ideas?

You want to make it so it will freeze in a radius only after it hits a creature / object? Well, it's simple in that it's not possible to do something like that. I know a lot of what can and can't be done with shot types as I have a lot of experience from working on my patch as I made a lot of new spells.

The closest you can come up with is to make it so it freezes in a line, maybe make it so it has a short range. Not sure if that's what you want though.

ZzZombo
March 18th, 2015, 23:14
It can be done either way, but I can't make it to hit creatures in one tile radius at all. It doesn't hit them consistently if they aren't lined up behind the target. I even placed 3 guards on a surrounded by lava land and on 2/3 attacks only 2 at most were affected, and on the rest only one. It seems the radius larger than some value is capped by the game and not editor, I tried 1, 4, 10 and even 100, all give the same effect.

Metal Gear Rex
March 19th, 2015, 02:28
It can be done either way, but I can't make it to hit creatures in one tile radius at all. It doesn't hit them consistently if they aren't lined up behind the target. I even placed 3 guards on a surrounded by lava land and on 2/3 attacks only 2 at most were affected, and on the rest only one. It seems the radius larger than some value is capped by the game and not editor, I tried 1, 4, 10 and even 100, all give the same effect.

Radius is not actually an effect radius of the spell (like for example Hailstorm's damage effect radius), more so is it like defining the hit box of specifically a projectile. Projectiles cannot hit multiple things at a time, rather they can hit only one thing every 0.25 seconds (game time). Projectiles prioritize whatever is closest to the center of their radius, so a non-moving freeze projectile will continue to hit the same thing over and over again no matter how big you set the radius.

To make a line AoE spell as I described, it's quite easy. Simply put, uncheck the "Die When hit Thing" box at the bottom of the shot configuration. You may also want to limit the range by changing the Health and Speed stat. Speed is in tiles, and defines how far it can go in 0.25 seconds. Health is how long the projectile lasts until it dies (assuming "Die over time" is checked). Health goes down by 1 every 0.25 seconds.

ZzZombo
March 19th, 2015, 07:24
Yeah, I got it all right except, even tho I suspected that, I didn't know projectiles can hit only one target at a time. Thanks for help anyway. It's not how I wanted it to work but better than nothing. Also, on a side note, it's funny how the Freeze trap seemed to be able to me to freeze several things at once, now when that illusion is gone.

tutvuvu
October 3rd, 2022, 15:08
In fact, the Hero Alarm Trap uses the same mesh

Where are you able to find the mesh data? I'm trying to 3D print accurate models for the creatures but can't find any 3d models or mesh data for any game assets.

Necror
October 4th, 2022, 09:36
Where are you able to find the mesh data? I'm trying to 3D print accurate models for the creatures but can't find any 3d models or mesh data for any game assets.

keep in mind that the meshes are extremely low poly
here's an example of what a bile looks like without textures
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3852289
to rip them your self, you'll need couple of tools and a 010script to convert them to a useable format

and here's a recent reddit post with couple links to 3d models
https://www.reddit.com/r/dungeonkeeper/comments/wf2b4a/comment/iiymy3p/?context=3