October 10th, 2016, 17:15
Hi.

I read from the idea, :beetle: work like a :imp: with

Properties = BLEEDS IMMUNE_TO_GAS SPECIAL_DIGGER

PrimaryJobs = DIG TUNNEL

But a bug is, when :beetle: works from time to time he is a :dog: :confused:

YourMaster
October 10th, 2016, 17:46
Because he lacks some of the animations. In beetle.cfg go to [sprites] and where the sprites are '0' select one of the numbers from the other animations. (For example, use the attack sprite for the dig animation).

Endrix
October 11th, 2016, 17:57
Ok, it´s look great.

I do this by :beetle:

[sprites]
(Attack = 536)
Dig = 536
Smoke = 536
Relax = 536
PrettyDance = 536

Why :beetle: and :tunneller: don´t work like :imp:,

when PrimaryJobs = DIG ??

YourMaster
October 11th, 2016, 21:56
For Smoke and Relax I would take the 'Sleep' animation instead. PrettyDance is the animation when they claim a floor/room, so attack works, but I think the 'GotSlapped' animation would look pretty nice/funny there.

And other creatures simply don't work as imps when making changes to the config because much of the imp-behavior is still hardcoded.

Endrix
October 12th, 2016, 16:11
By this ADD_TUNNELLER_PARTY_TO_LEVEL(PLAYER_GOOD,THIEF,1,D UNGEON,0,1,200)

Now come a :beetle: not a :tunneller:
:(

YourMaster
October 12th, 2016, 16:44
Because that works with the special diggers as well. There's just no way to make this function perfectly jet.

Endrix
October 12th, 2016, 17:27
But why come already :beetle: ? :tunneller: have Properties = SPECIAL_DIGGER too.
Why not by random 50% - 50%

And when :beetle: Properties = EVIL
By create :imp: come :beetle:

YourMaster
October 12th, 2016, 17:49
I think because it is first in the list.

Endrix
October 12th, 2016, 18:42
What list do you mean?

YourMaster
October 12th, 2016, 18:49
Just the order of creatures. My guess is that the 'tunneler' command just takes the first non-evil special digger to spawn, and the 'create imp spell' creates the first evil special digger it finds.

Endrix
October 12th, 2016, 18:52
But the order is: Creatures = WIZARD BARBARIAN ARCHER MONK DWARFA KNIGHT AVATAR TUNNELLER WITCH GIANT FAIRY THIEF SAMURAI HORNY SKELETON TROLL DRAGON DEMONSPAWN FLY DARK_MISTRESS SORCEROR BILE_DEMON IMP BUG VAMPIRE SPIDER HELL_HOUND GHOST TENTACLE ORC FLOATING_SPIRIT

TUNNELLER before BUG

IMP before BUG

YourMaster
October 12th, 2016, 19:16
Yes, and it seems to take that order in reverse. If you make the archer 'evil' and 'Special_digger' the create imp spell will still create an imp. Until you remove either one of those properties from the imp and then it will create an archer.

Endrix
October 12th, 2016, 20:36
That is a real shame!

:beetle: with dig was great.

Although, i was for a new order of creatures. But this ist Hard Coded i think?

YourMaster
October 12th, 2016, 22:00
Some stuff is still hardcoded yes, but you can try how far you can come. And of course you can also give the beetle the DIG skill without making it a special digger.

Endrix
October 13th, 2016, 15:42
I think a good order were:

;Creatures = (IMP) HORNY FLY BUG DEMONSPAWN DRAGON SORCEROR TROLL SPIDER BILE_DEMON DARK_MISTRESS ORC HELL_HOUND TENTACLE SKELETON GHOST VAMPIRE (IMP) KNIGHT THIEF ARCHER TUNNELLER DWARFA BARBARIAN FAIRY WIZARD GIANT MONK WITCH SAMURAI AVATAR FLOATING_SPIRIT

YourMaster
October 13th, 2016, 16:41
This order doesn't serve a functional purpose, only a technical one. The original game mostly refers to creatures by 'index' instead of by name. So 'The fifth creature uses these sprites' or 'the ninth creature is spawned in room 6 when 10 corpses are brought there'.

And it is possible that in some unforeseen cases - like your example - the order actually matters, but in those cases the way forward is to rewrite more functionality to be no longer dependent on this list, not to reorder the list.

Endrix
October 26th, 2016, 17:16
Why :beetle: works with:

PrimaryJobs = DIG TUNNEL

Only like TUNNEL

But :tunneller: half to half??

YourMaster
October 26th, 2016, 18:04
Your question is a bit cryptic, but either the answer is 'because some stuff is still hardcoded for the tunneler', or 'because only one of them is a special digger' or 'because only one of them lacks the evil-property'.

damedog
October 26th, 2016, 18:41
Interesting to know how some of these functions work. I hope you can get the beetle special digging! Seems like something they should already have.

YourMaster
October 26th, 2016, 19:45
Not really, special digging is 'special' for a reason. What's special about the 'evil' special digger is that it spawns when you cast the create imp spell, and that it digs tunnels/gold the player selects and does all the other imp tasks. What's special about the non-evil special digger is that is spawns from the level script through the 'Add tunneler party' command and that it digs to the destination highlighted. They can both do so, without having those skills assigned. You can make the beetle 'the' special digger, but only by having it taking the place of the imp.

If you possess an imp, you notice it has the 'first person dig skill', which it never uses on its own, and can only be used by the player to claim land AND dig 'diggable' stuff. If however you modify the configs you can also give an imp - or any other unit - access to the other skills, like claim, dig, destroy room, and actually do these things in first person. The trouble is, these skills have no limitation, and by doing so you can destroy entrances and dungeon hearts, and dig straight through enemy walls.

I like the idea of having beetles be able to dig (in custom campaigns/maps), but working exactly as an imp is a bit much.