dotted
December 25th, 2009, 19:42
Good news Theme Hospital fans, CorsixTH beta 1 has been released:

Homepage
http://www.corsix.org/

Download
http://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/downloads/list

TdIojoYX59k&

Reckon i should create a Theme Hospital section on the forum?

Hapuga
December 25th, 2009, 20:04
you might

natchoguy
December 26th, 2009, 03:30
By bullfrog!

Madkill
December 26th, 2009, 04:28
No shit!

I can't wait to see how far this goes.

A New Room
December 28th, 2009, 04:44
I'm guessing this requires you own the original Theme Hospital? :/

Madkill
December 28th, 2009, 06:05
"This project aims to reimplement the game engine of Theme Hospital, and be able to load the original game data files. This means that you will need a purchased copy of Theme Hospital, or a copy of the demo (http://download.cnet.com/Theme-Hospital/3000-7496_4-10007443.html), in order to use CorsixTH. After most of the original engine has been reimplemented in open source code, the project will serve as a base from which extensions to the original game can be made."

Trass3r
December 28th, 2009, 21:12
I'm guessing this requires you own the original Theme Hospital? :/
Demo also works.
Though you can of course also still get the full version ;)

Looks pretty good for only 5 months of work, many things already work.

A New Room
December 29th, 2009, 00:31
I don't get what you are implying *Shifty eyes* ;)

Trass3r
December 29th, 2009, 00:38
It should be abandonware anyway.

Madkill
December 29th, 2009, 15:24
Demo also works.
Though you can of course also still get the full version ;)

Did that at first but then found that the setup doesn't want to run on a 64bit OS.

Trass3r
December 29th, 2009, 15:29
Should be sufficient to copy the data files I think.

natchoguy
December 30th, 2009, 21:00
Is it worth playing?

Madkill
December 31st, 2009, 02:25
I'd wait until you don't need the demo to play it if I was you.

Trass3r
December 31st, 2009, 11:30
? You don't need the demo. You CAN use the demo if you don't have the full version.

It's nice to try it out. Though some stuff is of course still missing, so if you can run the original it's better to play that.

Madkill
December 31st, 2009, 11:33
? You don't need the demo. You CAN use the demo if you don't have the full version.

Okay I'll rephrase it for your simple mind.

In my opinion, I would wait until its a standalone and does not require the demo(or game) in order to play it.

dotted
December 31st, 2009, 13:56
Okay I'll rephrase it for your simple mind.

In my opinion, I would wait until its a standalone and does not require the demo(or game) in order to play it.

Good luck with that OpenTTD took 5.5 years to accomplish that. And I'm not sure if CorsixTH is meant to be standalone.

Madkill
December 31st, 2009, 18:55
Good luck with that OpenTTD took 5.5 years to accomplish that. And I'm not sure if CorsixTH is meant to be standalone.

KeeperFX.

dotted
December 31st, 2009, 19:32
KeeperFX.

im sure there are several legal problems with keeperfx, which is why corsixth isnt stand alone and keeperfx wasnt stand alone either in the beginning

Madkill
January 1st, 2010, 06:39
im sure there are several legal problems with keeperfx, which is why corsixth isnt stand alone and keeperfx wasnt stand alone either in the beginning

And considering how well this guy is progressing, it won't be that long. Maybe just a few more months.

The game is no longer reproduced and its almost impossible to actually get a copy, the same goes for Theme Hospital. If either were to be sold for profit then yes but otherwise, No.

dotted
January 1st, 2010, 06:48
And considering how well this guy is progressing, it won't be that long. Maybe just a few more months.

The game is no longer reproduced and its almost impossible to actually get a copy, the same goes for Theme Hospital. If either were to be sold for profit then yes but otherwise, No.

doesnt matter, ea can still sue you all the way down to hell if they want to.

natchoguy
January 1st, 2010, 06:49
so...

Madkill
January 1st, 2010, 07:37
doesnt matter, ea can still sue you all the way down to hell if they want to.

They can.

But they won't if they see no profit or a form of gain in it whatsoever. (Which there isn't)

DragonsLover
January 1st, 2010, 09:38
Natchoguy: Stop spamming, seriously.

Dotted and Madkill : Theme Hospital is totally abandonware. EA doesn't care anymore of the game and I don't think they will oppose the creation of an old game remake that can or cannot be standalone. Now, stop that would you?

dotted
January 1st, 2010, 14:08
That simply doesnt change the fact that including the game data is illegal and which is why CorsixTH doesnt include them.

Madkill
January 1st, 2010, 14:23
Duke Ragereaver Edit: Removed!

After most of the original engine has been reimplemented in open source code, the project will serve as a base from which extensions to the original game can be made.

dotted
January 1st, 2010, 14:34
What has the code got to do with the graphics?

Madkill
January 1st, 2010, 15:24
Duke Ragereaver Edit: Removed!

Monsterbaby
March 7th, 2010, 10:01
I am not sure wether it should be concidered as totally abandonware. As long as EA hasn't given up the rights it is not completely abandoned or...?

But I do agree on dragonslover, I don't think EA cares much about tiny remakes - but yea, as soon as money is involved they WILL be there :P.
I still think it is great people wish to do it, and also it shows the public and the company that these games are really worth fighting for. People are just picking up the pieces EA is leaving behind :P

Theme hospital is also one of my favorite games, so it really doesn't surprise me, people are still sticking to it. I know there is a lousy Hospital game on FB, that kinda screams Theme Hospital, but then again it is just like any other farm-game on FB, doing same tasks every day, in same locations.

edorien
March 17th, 2010, 08:34
the game is still on sale, so definately not abandoned

Krizzie
March 17th, 2010, 09:50
That there are some copies still floating around doesn't mean it isn't abbandonware. ;)

edorien
March 17th, 2010, 13:56
http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games/Theme-Hospital/~r337736/

sold in retail stores and re-released within last few years

Monsterbaby
March 17th, 2010, 16:23
People only call it abbandonware so they have a "good" reason for downloading it. :P

A New Room
March 17th, 2010, 16:26
Yeah but that is not to saying that the publishers are still willing to patch it and provide technical assistance for it.

That can also be a defining factor for many abandonware sites.

Monsterbaby
March 17th, 2010, 16:32
Agree, but so far all the abandonware pages I've ever found, none of them has been legal.

Madkill
March 17th, 2010, 17:21
the game is still on sale, so definately not abandoned

Bullfrog doesn't exist any more and EA most likely do not receive and income for those copies that are still on sale.

Unless you can prove it with a useful source. (A used copy from Amazon is not a useful source)

edorien
March 17th, 2010, 17:56
Bullfrog doesn't exist any more and EA most likely do not receive and income for those copies that are still on sale.

Unless you can prove it with a useful source. (A used copy from Amazon is not a useful source)

check the link i provided, thats not used, and reputable store (not online only)

Madkill
March 17th, 2010, 19:22
Ah...SoldOutSoftware, yes...

Its still abandoned.

dotted
March 18th, 2010, 10:31
Ah...SoldOutSoftware, yes...

Its still abandoned.

Which at the end of the day isn't something that will save your ass if EA sue you. Abandonware is not a legal term, and is just an excuse. It doesn't matter if a game is still sold or not. EA owns the IP and if they want they could sue.

Madkill
March 18th, 2010, 10:36
They could, but they wouldn't unless you were trying to make money.

A New Room
March 18th, 2010, 11:34
or using it to create slander.

Agzarah
March 18th, 2010, 15:18
http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/37-strategy/21768

an abandonware site claiming its not abandonware...
proof enough? lol

A New Room
March 18th, 2010, 15:36
This is silly argument :P

I did rather enjoy what I played of it, I look forward to playing the full version at some point.

Agzarah
March 18th, 2010, 16:00
arent they the best kind though?

it was a fun game - you could easily accidently spend hours steaming through the game with no problems what so ever. then literally blink and the place would be swarming with rats and puke... ahh those were the days :)

dotted
March 25th, 2010, 10:35
Beta 2 is out

Agzarah
March 25th, 2010, 11:12
i know what im playing tonight :)
the blood council will have to wait - i have patients to attend

dotted
June 28th, 2010, 19:02
Beta 3 is out

dotted
November 12th, 2010, 14:37
Beta 4 is out - http://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/wiki/AboutBeta4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOG4ySb8z9U

This beta also marks the threshold where most main features are in the game and it is time to start focusing more on improvements and fixing bugs. Therefore the next changelog will probably be quite longer, but instead state smaller things.
Wooooo \o/

Trotim
November 12th, 2010, 15:08
Hah, great to see so much progress. Doctors are still all pretty slow, but that's a pretty minor thing and the map editor just sells it.