PDA

View Full Version : What is the best version of the game to have?

Adamczuk
January 4th, 2010, 21:40
The question kind of in the title, but what version is the best?

Version 1.3 or 1.7?

I've managed to get DK2 running on Vista using 1.7 but is version 1.3 better and will it run on vista?

I've heard that 1.3 has better A.I.

Duke Ragereaver
January 4th, 2010, 22:02
1.3 because of it's way superior AI, version 1.7 and above AI just blows.

It doesn't really matter what version you install, they all should work correctly.

Hapuga
January 4th, 2010, 22:05

-more stable online games.

-angrier AI.

-stable skirmish maps. (no changing availabilities with spells/doors/creatures)

Drawbacks:

-no HP's.

-no elites.

-no maiden/jack in the box trap.

-no 1024 res.

Basically, all drawbacks are nothing to you if you're an oldgamer like me. I don't care for those elites and hi res. I find it more comforting to play a stable map against angry AI, then playing a hi res map with all the features, but with errors, crashes and stupid AI.

Adamczuk
January 4th, 2010, 22:08
Yeah a problem right now, is that my game keeps on crashing and I just can't get into it and play it. Also I want the AI to be tougher than it is right now and be challenging!

Hapuga
January 4th, 2010, 22:16
Then sir, go and get DK 1.51 =)

Adamczuk
January 4th, 2010, 22:26
Sorry about this but one more question. Does patch 1.51 suffer from the ICD problem?

Hapuga
January 4th, 2010, 22:32
What do you mean by "icd problem"?

If you mean that it will need a cd, no, if you have it in your cd drive.

or if you have it mounted in daemon tools.

Adamczuk
January 4th, 2010, 22:35
I mean the problem where DK2 crashes and windows comes up and says it crashed because of DK2.icd.

Hapuga
January 4th, 2010, 22:45
Nope. never had that on 1.51 patch. 1.51 as 1.3, is one of most stable. The MOST stable, I would say. 1.3 original is good, but still crashes quite a lot. 1.3 cracked is perfect.

Try the version that is uploaded on the forums. It is the most stable version of DK I have ever had.

P.S. Strange thing... I have a HP Compaq 8710w laptop with Intel Centrino proc and Nvidia Quadro graphics. Windows XP sp3.

I dare to assume that this is the best pc to play DK2 =DDD I NEVER crash. I only crash if I rape the game to the extent that I have 5 keepers and goodies fighting in one place with armies of 300 creatures spamming lightnings and fireballs. Then, I might crash once in a while. In a normal, ordinary game - never.

DragonsLover
January 5th, 2010, 04:19
The ICD problem is related with SafeDisc copy protection. You must remove it to avoid the game to crash constantly.

Please read this (http://forum.keeperklan.com/please-read-that-topic-before-posting-t654.html).

dk2player
January 5th, 2010, 04:32
dk not crash? now you're dreaming.

1.3 is probably the best if you really like the game, but over online, I've found 1.73 more stable in a few games.

Metal Gear Rex
January 5th, 2010, 04:34
dk not crash? now you're dreaming.

1.3 is probably the best if you really like the game, but over online, I've found 1.73 more stable in a few games.

Did you try his solution without crashing?

I am about to try it on one of the worst computers ever, let's see improvements. :D

Besides, I think you mean DK2. I have DK1 and I have never EVER had it crash.

dk2player
January 5th, 2010, 04:35
single player is more stable in 1.73, but 1.3 has better ai, and better multiplayer stablilty. which do you want?

DragonsLover
January 5th, 2010, 05:01
Does version 1.3 REALLY have a better AI? Did you test everything on the two different versions for every different Keepers? If yes, what are the differences? I'm curious.

Hapuga
January 5th, 2010, 11:27
When we refer to word "better" we actually mean that AI in 1.3 DROPS creatures, when he encounters an enemy. After 1.6 AI would stop dropping them at you. And it uses cal to arms quite often. And when you cast call to arms on his base, he drops his army on your advancing creatures to stop them.

In 1.6 and 1.7 you can break into his dungeon and start claiming land, and AI won't even respond to it. Only enemy imps running around trying to defend the lands.

Adamczuk
January 5th, 2010, 12:37
I've got a pretty bad problem. I've reinstalled DK2 and now when I try to install a patch it says "You must install Dungeon Keeper 2 before update can be applied." Can anyone help me out?

Hapuga
January 5th, 2010, 12:40
Yes, clean the registry and reinstall again.

Madkill
January 5th, 2010, 13:50
AI in 1.3 DROPS creatures, when he encounters an enemy.

The AI dropped creature(s) on me in 1.73, usually it was when I dropped a creature first or if I got too close to one of their rooms and sometimes to scare off my imp(s).

Besides, why would you want an enemy keeper that throws all their creatures down at the sight of an enemy imp? That's a bit DKI bugged AI to be honest.

Adamczuk
January 5th, 2010, 14:04
1.5 is so much better that 1.7. For one, it now runs every time and now doesn't crash meaning I can play the game! The enemy Keepers in Skirmishes actually do something! They now explore the map and even launch full scale attacks on me. The lose of elite creature is slightly annoying (Especially when your opponents have recruited all of the Bile Demons and Trolls -_-) but the downgrade is still better. Thanks for me out!

Hapuga
January 5th, 2010, 15:13
Now that you've installed 1.5, I'll ask you to make me a small favor.

Tell me what version of DK 1.3 do you have and where you got it from. Is it cracked? Did you crack it? Did the patch 1.3-1.5 run okay? did you get a separate crack for 1.5?

And tell me your PC specs please.

I can't run 1.5 on my pc unfortunately, it doesn't even load. I can run 1.73 and my cracked 1.3 however.

I'll be grateful if you'll answer these questions.

Adamczuk
January 5th, 2010, 15:48
For the first question, I just used the 1.3-1.5 patch. I couldn’t find a 1.3 patch nor could I get the 1.3 posted here to work. It wasn’t cracked, just the standard one.

My Laptop specs:

Operating System: Vista 32 Basic
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 Duel-Core QL-64 2.10 GHz
RAM: 3GB
Free Space on Vista Drive: 22.3GB

Hapuga
January 5th, 2010, 17:09
do u use a daemon thing for mounting or something similar?

Adamczuk
January 5th, 2010, 17:12
No I use the original CD to play it.

Madkill
January 5th, 2010, 17:15
Hapuga is becoming seemingly more irritating.

Should I see a doctor?

Hapuga
January 5th, 2010, 17:18
No I use the original CD to play it.

Thanks a lot!

Hapuga
January 5th, 2010, 17:19
Hapuga is becoming seemingly more irritating.

Should I see a doctor?

Well, since it only troubles you alone, I would suggest to.

Metal Gear Rex
January 5th, 2010, 19:17
Besides, why would you want an enemy keeper that throws all their creatures down at the sight of an enemy imp? That's a bit DKI bugged AI to be honest.

In DK1 that was actually a good move. DK2 not quite so do the stun which allowed you to easily take out units. In DK1 it wasn't a good move because of some techniques a player would use such as the Lightning Spell or the Entrance Portal Trick. But that really is on the players' fault not the AI's, so if the player wants to abuse certain things, it leads to that.

Slichizard
November 18th, 2010, 16:13
v1.51 is the best. Use SafeCD protection remover and generate no-cd.