PDA

View Full Version : AI strength

Blackfighter_DT
January 6th, 2010, 09:43
Hello,
I have installed Dk2 with patch 1.73 and it works very fine.
Also in Multiplayer.
But the ai is much too weak in Campaign, Skirmish and Multiplayer.

Is there any chance to make them harder?

dotted
January 6th, 2010, 10:24
By using 1.3 or 1.51

Adamczuk
January 6th, 2010, 10:36
Yeah 1.5 is so much better than 1.7. The AI moves around the map, explores it and does all out attacks on you.

Blackfighter_DT
January 6th, 2010, 19:19
hhmmm i hope it works stable like the 1.73 version.

i am gonna test it

DragonsLover
January 9th, 2010, 03:29
But I don't catch it... I checked the AI data of some levels, and the Global ones for each different versions of the game, and they're the SAME. So, why does the AI would act differently? Is it a modification of the AI code? Because if so, I can't do anything about that, but it would also surprise me if it's really that...

There's something I noticed and I wonder if it's what is causing the trouble: in some LevelPlayers.kld files of 1.7 version, a few groups of hex data has been modified where it was 00 00 00 before... If it's only that, then the simplest thing would be to alter every LevelPlayers.kld files of 1.7 version by using those of v1.3 or v1.51 (I don't have the files of that version though, and I'd like to get a copy of 'em). But I'm not TOTALLY sure.

There's something I'm also wondering: does the Global AI data overwrites over what has been set for the different Skirmish and Multiplayer levels, causing the AI to be altered badly? As you may know, there are different computer types: Master Keeper, Conqueror, Psychotic, Stalwart, Greyman, Idiot, Guardian, Thick Skinned and Paranoid. Perhaps by changing the computer type in when setting a game could cause a weird alteration? Something nice would have been "Level AI" as a computer type. I have also heard somewhere that playing a skirmish map in campaign mode would cause the AI to be better.

I also noticed that v1.61 have the biggest Variable files, which is what I used for my "anti-boycott" patch.

I'm gonna do some tests about that. It's really hard to tell. And I don't think it's gonna be easy.

DragonsLover
January 13th, 2010, 07:41
--- UP! ---

Okay, apparently, I was wrong. The Global AI doesn't seem to be similar. I discovered that the Global AI data is stored inside the DK2 Level Editor to use when we ask the editor to set the values to default, which supposedly means that the data the game uses may be somewhere in the executable, cripted, which is a bad news. :( I can only know the Global AI data of the 1.7 version with the editor.

However, there is a way to counter the Global AI. You must modify the map you wish (and leave its .KWD file intact) to set one or more Keepers as computer players and change their AI data the way you want. Then, you must run the game and the modified level using the -level command line and perhaps even the -q command line as well. The downsides: this doesn't work in Skirmish and Multiplayer modes, you have no choice to play as the Red Keeper, and the Keepers that won't be set as computers will stay alive and idle forever instead of dying at the start of the game. Funny enough, you can even set yourself as a computer player and the computer will do all the tasks for you under your eyes.

Slichizard
November 18th, 2010, 16:11
Majority of all AI settings cannot be adjusted because the pre-made AI settings are used first. However, with editor, you still alter some of AI properties, but not much. I advice use v1.51 AI as it the most stable and does pose some challenge.

Hapuga
November 28th, 2010, 16:15
1. Necroposting is great, isn't it?

2. This has been discussed so many times before. There is no way to change the AI because it is most likely hardcoded. There is no correlation between maps and game versions. You may use same map files for different versions, and you will get different results. Map Globals override the initial Globals, if it would be the Globals file problem, then all 1.3 and 1.51 maps would play well on 1.7.

Slichizard
November 28th, 2010, 16:53
^Yep, from time to time. :P