PDA

View Full Version : What this is.

dk2player
August 30th, 2009, 17:22
To help start this topic, I'll say what Natural Born Keeper is.

NBK is a Dungeon Keeper 1 remake. Most of the game will be reletivly same, with some changes, such as 3d graphics, darker lighting, and improved gameplay.

Orignal post from IKLSM:

So here i am :) I'm a programer who is trying to make a new version of dungeon keeper 1.

Here are some details about my project.

I'm making a remake of Dungeon Keeper 1. That means that the gameplay will be the same only graphics will be better and it will be very easy to modify (add your own creatures...). The project is not playable yet (creatures have no inteligence). But the engine loads every original DK level, every original level from Deeper Dungeons and every level you made yourself. The progress is going slow because i have to do all the work. I'm really bad at modeling because i'm a programer by heart Smiley

What is supported:
- loading of DK levels
- drawing of all terrain types(earth,gold,rock,unclaimed...)
- i've modeled all of DK rooms (including Portal & Heart)
- water & lava are animated
- every door type has its own model
- every trap type has its own model
- there is one creature with inteligence and that is IMP (they have not beed modeled yet)
(check out this video )http://freeweb.siol.net/repnikb/DK/dk-vid.rar

here are some pics:

http://freeweb.siol.net/repnikb/DK/dk_pics/Image2.jpg
http://freeweb.siol.net/repnikb/DK/dk_pics/Image6.jpg
http://freeweb.siol.net/repnikb/DK/dk_pics/Image8.jpg

original:
http://freeweb.siol.net/repnikb/DK/dk_pics/Image9.gif

my version:
http://freeweb.siol.net/repnikb/DK/dk_pics/Image10.gif

http://freeweb.siol.net/repnikb/DK/dk2.gif

the room effect:

http://freeweb.siol.net/repnikb/DK/dk4.gif

room selling already works:

before:
http://freeweb.siol.net/repnikb/DK/dk_sell/before.gif

after:
http://freeweb.siol.net/repnikb/DK/dk_sell/after.gif

stay tuned for more :)

Questions, answers, and ideas may be posted. But keep in mind, we are REmaking dk1, not MAKING it. so no new, only improved.

I think that's it. If anybody has spoke to IKLSM so far, just let us know if he is still working on the game, and what has been done so far.

Hapuga
August 31st, 2009, 08:37
The video is dead long ago. This all thing is a bit out of time=)

dk2player
August 31st, 2009, 15:25
hey, I'm just trying to start the thread back. Maybe IKLSM can come by and shower us with months of stuff done, videos, demos, maybe even playable demos. :D

Hapuga
August 31st, 2009, 16:27
Yore an optimist, dk2player =D

Well, I hope that AT LEAST he will come.

dk2player
September 1st, 2009, 02:36
yeah, has anyone ever accually been talking to him. I haven't heard anything scince June.

Hapuga
September 1st, 2009, 11:48
Well, I saw him sneaking around a week ago, or so =) maybe 2 weeks, time flies fast.

Madkill
September 7th, 2009, 03:06
Its also Natural Born Keepers Evolved. ;)

Ninja
December 9th, 2009, 16:46
And how it is going with the project, has somebody some new information? Because for all I know this the project stands local...

Hapuga
December 9th, 2009, 17:00
It's dead.

Ninja
December 9th, 2009, 17:34
I am behind the renewal of the project! Has somebody a contact with the creator of the project? I can create the graphics 2D and if a little more I learnt the rudiments this and 3D.

dotted
December 9th, 2009, 17:48
Its also Natural Born Keepers Extreme. ;)
Fixed that for you :p

nebster
December 9th, 2009, 18:10
I am behind the renewal of the project! Has somebody a contact with the creator of the project? I can create the graphics 2D and if a little more I learnt the rudiments this and 3D.

I'm in contact with him and we've been working on it anyway. So far, WFTO is just NBKE since we're implementing all the features that will be in both. You can help with that if you want.

Also, kopavel is making another one as well which is also in this forum :)

A New Room
December 9th, 2009, 18:19
Suddenly this project gone from dead, to has live again. Awsome!

Ninja
December 9th, 2009, 19:10
Thanks for the information ;)

Hapuga
December 10th, 2009, 18:06
I don't know is it good or bad news.

In my opinion, it is better to throw all resources on one project, than having all people separated between 2.

Lets make at least one game done.

A New Room
December 22nd, 2009, 00:08
But which one?

Mothrayas
December 22nd, 2009, 00:11
War for the Overworld?

Madkill
December 26th, 2009, 02:35
Suddenly this project gone from dead, to has live again. Awsome!

Hapuga isn't in charge of the projects so I wouldn't take his earlier comment with much regard.

There are far more people interested in the remake, than the other project and I think concentrating on the remake first would interest even more skilled game specs for the other project. :spider:

MeinCookie
December 26th, 2009, 04:55
There are far more people interested in the remake, than the other project and I think concentrating on the remake first would interest even more skilled game specs for the other project. :spider:

I'm more interested in WftO
1. hold a poll before making such a comment, pls
2. Since they use the same engine, once one is complete the other would be easily finish much more quickly. Since WftO has "extra" stuff, you would already have everything you needed for NBKE and you'd just be stripping stuff off it.

Madkill
December 26th, 2009, 19:42
I'm more interested in WftO
Good for you. (Point?)

1. hold a poll before making such a comment, pls
I think holding a poll on several forums would be a better idea instead of just here and judging from the on-going praise the NBKE ModDB page has, I'd assume it to be the one people want before starting on something which is still in its concept stage.

But let's put it into another perspective.
Dungeon Keeper I was released and was put up there into the 'Classic Games' Category.
There are by -far- more people who are aware of Dungeon Keeper I, and its remake.
(Think outside the forum)
And since its a remake, you don't have to think about anything 'new' apart from the engine and making the two compatible.

2. Since they use the same engine, once one is complete the other would be easily finish much more quickly. Since WftO has "extra" stuff, you would already have everything you needed for NBKE and you'd just be stripping stuff off it.
Having the engine and most the DKI models done first would be a better idea, especially since it doesn't require as many 'extra' stuff as WftO.

Releasing NBKE first also allows the dev team to find any bugs they may have missed before putting up WftO.

And also, like I've said before. If NBKE was released first, not only would you be able to fix any bugs but you would also gain a hell of a lot more support for the next project.
And I'm not talking about moral support.

Bluto is working on the Dungeon Keeper I models first of course; so scripting the game mechanics to remake Dungeon Keeper I would be a lot faster and more productive.

Whereas WftO is still in the concept stage, so I think by the time it gets further than that, NBKE can be the test bunny for the engine and make sure its as stable as possible for WftO.

dotted
December 26th, 2009, 19:56
In the beginning i wanted to do NBKE first to have a working game and then later do WFTO. But since KeeperFX has pretty much eliminated a need for NBKE i don't really see the point of doing NBKE. Granted doing NBKE does have it advantages such as it being easier then a new game, and as such we will have a working game faster which in turn means attracting developers. But it also means WFTO will take longer to develop.

As for NBKE being more known than WFTO, thats pretty obvious as there really hasnt been any advertisement done for WFTO. Yes you have posted some models with the WFTO logo, but at the end of the day those models are all DK1 remakes, they are not unique to WFTO itself.

But most importantly what ever we do, i dont think IKSLM has dropped NBKE so it doesnt matter what we do really, NBKE will be out eventually.

Personally i think the interest in NBKE is not because its so much a remake as it is the ability to play DK1 again on our new systems, and that need has been filled by KeeperFX.

Madkill
December 26th, 2009, 20:03
Releasing a Dungeon Keeper I Remake such as NBKE, with it being a greater graphical enhancement and something which would work on the latest 32 bit and 64 bit(hopefully) computers with the latest OS' which not only looks better and runs flawlessly it would also be less of a hassle as Keeper FX (And easier to obtain?)

Getting NBKE out; in doing so increases the attention of some more experienced devs and by doing so it would allow WftO progress a lot faster than it probably would now.
Lets not turn NBKE into a small scale DNF, however WftO should probably be nurtured as DNF was (excluding engine hops). If you want to know what I mean by the DNF comment- This (http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/) will shape a better understanding.

dotted
December 26th, 2009, 20:24
KeeperFX works on 32 and 64-bit systems. KeeperFX supports higher resolutions, but its rather dodgey at the moment, and looking at a similiar project OpenTTD they are actively working on replacing the 8-bit graphics both with 8-bit alternatives so you can play it without having to rely on Transport Tycoon Deluxe, but also 32-bit graphics for the better looks. The same thing could (didnt say will or likely) very well happen with KeeperFX. And the KeeperFX development has been alot more open than NBKE.

As for obtaining the games it will not be any easier to get NBKE rather than KeeperFX. If you dont take in account the filesizes of the download they are equal as its just an archive/installer you download and thats it. And i don't see KeeperFX running any worse than NBKE would.

NBKE and KeeperFX are both remakes. They just have different approaches to development. But their endgame is the very same, atleast thats how i see it. Difference is, we know basicly nothing of NBKE but we can actually download and play KeeperFX right now.

Madkill
December 27th, 2009, 10:45
DKI Remake says it all about NBKE and like I said, it would be a good way to use the engine as a tech demo for WftO. See how it copes in a dungeon keeper environment, creature population caps and so on.

If you built the engine, then constructed NBKE to it. You could use NBKE as the foundation and upbringing for WftO, which in-effect, could have several advancements and continue to 'wow' people when WftO is released.

Not only is it a good marketing strategy, it is also a good technical strategy.

dotted
December 27th, 2009, 11:49
If we do NBKE we will have 3 remakes.
NBKE by IKSLM
NBKE by Keeper Klan
And KeeperFX

And while yes i used to think they way you do, but the way we are designing the engine is more like a framework so doing NBKE with it would be possible for others to do. And i dont understand what you think is wrong with KeeperFX?

Mothrayas
December 27th, 2009, 12:25
KeeperFX isn't a remake, it's an expansion, hence the name KeeperFX ("Keeper Fan Expansion").

And IKSLM's NBKE is pretty much dead, as far as I know.

dotted
December 27th, 2009, 12:40
KeeperFX isn't a remake, it's an expansion, hence the name KeeperFX ("Keeper Fan Expansion").
But there is still no difference between NBKE and KeeperFX. They both accomplish the same thing.

Metal Gear Rex
December 27th, 2009, 12:42
But there is still no difference between NBKE and KeeperFX. They both accomplish the same thing.

Except for the 3D models. :P

dotted
December 27th, 2009, 13:48
Aesthetics, and as I pointed out doing 3D would, hypothetically, be possible in KeeperFX aswell.

Madkill
December 28th, 2009, 06:03
A more advance engine.
100% Assurance that it'll work on all of the latest OS' from XP and onwards without hassle.
Beta testing the WftO engine and its limits/potential.

dotted
December 28th, 2009, 14:10
A more advance engine.
100% Assurance that it'll work on all of the latest OS' from XP and onwards without hassle.
Beta testing the WftO engine and its limits/potential.
KeeperFX isnt limited to a less advanced engine. And you have equal assurance that KeeperFX will work on XP onwards, im running it just fine on Windows 7 64-bit. KeeperFX isnt a simply patch that adds a bit of functionality, its a project to fully rewrite the game as open source. And with a completely open source game you can convert it to be fully 3D like NBKE. As i said before KeeperFX and NBKE accomplish the same thing. KeeperFX is a slowly evolving project, much like OpenTTD (http://www.openttd.org/) which in the beginning was reverse enginering Transport Tycoon Deluxe but now is completely independent of the original game.

Madkill
December 28th, 2009, 19:17
So KeeperFX could basically be what NBKE is planning on being? In an almost exact way as NBKE would look like too?

dotted
December 28th, 2009, 19:27
So KeeperFX could basically be what NBKE is planning on being? In an almost exact way as NBKE would look like too?

Hypothetically yes. But i think the current goal is just to make a open source DK1 clone.

Madkill
December 29th, 2009, 12:03
Hopefully it'll have its own setup soon so it'll be installing Dungeon Keeper and the FX together. 16bit setups don't like to work too well on 64bit OS'. :spider:

dotted
December 29th, 2009, 12:31
Hopefully it'll have its own setup soon so it'll be installing Dungeon Keeper and the FX together. 16bit setups don't like to work too well on 64bit OS'. :spider:

What are you talking about?

Madkill
December 29th, 2009, 14:58
DKI wont install for me because I'm on 64bit; this is because it isn't a 32bit setup(by assumption) so it must be 16bit and I'm assuming I have to have a copy of the game installed to use KeeperFX.

Mothrayas
December 29th, 2009, 15:17
DKI wont install for me because I'm on 64bit; this is because it isn't a 32bit setup(by assumption) so it must be 16bit and I'm assuming I have to have a copy of the game installed to use KeeperFX.

You don't.

Madkill
December 29th, 2009, 15:25
You don't.

Awesome then.

Though I still think a DKI clone would be a useful tech demo for the WftO's engine. Even if it didn't include the campaign.

Madkill
January 5th, 2010, 08:27
Essentially.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/tiberian-dawn

This for example is what would be happening to Dungeon Keeper, if NBKE was to get off the ground.