PDA

View Full Version : Cut traps

AdamP
December 16th, 2018, 22:42
In early 1997, Dungeon Keeper actually had 12 traps, one of which was a fireball trap (presumably this would have shot fireballs at nearby creatures). As we know, the game only ended up with 6 traps. I wonder what the other 5 cut traps were, and why they were removed? Does anyone have any info on this?

gilius
December 18th, 2018, 14:30
I think the traps are simply extensions of power by both the creature and the guardian? for example there could have been a landslide trap, a chicken trap etc... fireball would have looked more like a cannon like dungeon keeper 2
it's true that it's a shame it's taking 6 out, it would have made the workshop more fun
I think they removed the fireball for the simple reason that having a trap having the common shape shooting fireballs or other possible exits would be "weird" would you imagine a small trap resembling a lamp that fires fireballs you? x)
after that it is also maybe about gameplay, maybe that the traps already that they are violent enough, made a defensive keeper too powerful?

Woudo
December 19th, 2018, 08:04
A tumultuous development with an unclear end goal and the resulting time constraints would be the real reason they didn't make it in.

AdamP
December 20th, 2018, 04:12
A tumultuous development with an unclear end goal and the resulting time constraints would be the real reason they didn't make it in.

But the traps had been completed by early-mid 1997, just months (if not weeks) before release. Bullfrog said in their magazine article about the redesign: 'We now have 12 unique traps: everything from a standard Fireball trap to an Indiana Jones-style Boulder trap'. The article also says that the game's in a 'near-complete' state (though I'm not sure how near to completion it is; the game looks very recognisable, but there are still some differences in the left-hand panel (the style's slightly different (but still recognisable), and there appears to be a Computer Assistant panel that's not there in the final game)).

Woudo
December 20th, 2018, 19:31
Everyone please stand for the Peter Molyneaux anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCGD9dT12C0

AdamP
December 21st, 2018, 02:25
Everyone please stand for the Peter Molyneaux anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCGD9dT12C0

I highly doubt Molyneux wrote the article. There's also no indication that the info came from him. It could have been from anyone on the team for all I can tell...