PDA

View Full Version : Fly through Ceiling Bug

Jibbits
February 5th, 2010, 04:02
keeperfx v34 - Flew a possessed fly through the ceiling of MAP00001 in the dungeon heart room - the screen went black and the game crashed to desktop.

By the way, thank you Mefistotelis, for KeeperFX :)

---

I've repeated this two more times, each time crashing the game in about a minute or less.

Makes me wonder if fairies or other flying creatures might get stuck by themselves without possession, causing crashes.

mefistotelis
February 6th, 2010, 00:21
As for now, the rendering engine is not rewritten - I can't fix that.
Try using lower resolution - there shouldn't be any problem in 640x480.

I will try to rewrite a bit more in next version, but it may still be not enough.

The LOG file for "standard version" contains a lot less information than a log from "debug version". In the future, please post logs from debug version (run keeperfx_dbg.exe instead of standard keeperfx).

Jibbits
February 6th, 2010, 01:58
The debug version seems very slow and the -fps command line option doesn't seem to have an effect, do you have any suggestions?

EDIT:

Here is a debug log. I had once again crashed the game while flying a possessed fly into the ceiling.

mefistotelis
February 6th, 2010, 11:34
The debug version seems very slow and the -fps command line option doesn't seem to have an effect, do you have any suggestions?
Debug version is a lot slower than standard. It requires fast computer to work smoothly.

Here is a debug log. I had once again crashed the game while flying a possessed fly into the ceiling.
ok, thanks.

Jibbits
February 8th, 2010, 00:43
Attacking the floor seems to be another good way to crash the game with 1024_768_8 resolution.

640_480_8 resolution doesn't seem to have these crashes, like you said, so if I wanted to play for fun I would use that...

DragonsLover
February 8th, 2010, 08:24
That way, perhaps it's better to leave the resolution to a fixed 640x480? Afaik, this resolution is still supported today on the recent video cards.

Jibbits
February 9th, 2010, 06:09
That way, perhaps it's better to leave the resolution to a fixed 640x480? Afaik, this resolution is still supported today on the recent video cards.

Well, I have played on 1024x768 resolution for hours without crashing. Most of the crashes happen in possession; for example one time I had played for three hours and the game had not crashed until I used a possessed imp. So as long as you avoid possession, it's pretty good (although still it crashes rarely for some other reason). It really depends whether or not you can stand looking at 640x480 resolution ;)

I don't know how to get resolutions higher than 1024x768 to work.

Jibbits
February 9th, 2010, 07:13
Has anybody else tried possessing creatures in higher resolutions and seeing if they get crashes? Maybe this is just me.

I originally thought the crashes were from flying the fly into the ceiling but I think possession is just unstable, and I try to associate this with coincidences :D

Like now I was playing Metal Gear Rex's Eversmile map and I possessed a beetle to attack an enemy computer, which crashed the game fast. So now I think, you should lower resolution, definitely :rolleyes:

I don't remember the game crashing so much from possession, maybe I just never noticed

mefistotelis
February 9th, 2010, 19:42
It crashes on every machine. Rendering engine just wasn't suited for such resolution.

It seems that the crash has something to do with shadows. Could you try disabling shadows (in options under "Escape menu") and then testing it?

Jibbits
February 10th, 2010, 00:54
It crashes on every machine. Rendering engine just wasn't suited for such resolution.

It seems that the crash has something to do with shadows. Could you try disabling shadows (in options under "Escape menu") and then testing it?

I will do that.

Jibbits
February 10th, 2010, 02:11
Here is how to cause a crash (I did this about 15 times so I am somewhat sure):

Play in 1024x768 resolution
Turn shadows on, if they are set off
Play the first level
Let the imps run around, do not pick any of them up
Possess one
Find another imp that is in a light, or get close to an imp so that your possession light illuminates the other imp, be sure the other imp is within your sight
Attack or dig at the ground, this seems to crash the game faster (although the game may still crash, but slower, if you don't)

If shadows are disabled or if there are no other creatures other than the creature you are possessing, the game won't crash.

So if you want to play 1024x768 before there is a fix but don't want crashes from possession, try disabling shadows.