PDA

View Full Version : Command and Conquer 4

Sire
February 27th, 2010, 02:59
I'm wondering if anyone else is interested in it. By what I've seen, it's the conclusion to the C&C saga (or just Kane's part.)

Main thing I dislike is they changed the gameplay quite a bit from what the old C&C used to be like. (Course, that's EA for ya.)
I'm probably gonna get it though because I enjoy the storyline...

Here's the link.

http://www.commandandconquer.com/

Edit: If one required clarification, here it is.

At the time before playing it, I didn't really like the mobile base system. Afterwards, I enjoyed the concept but still missed the old C&C style gameplay. The storyline part is meant for the series in general, because I did enjoy the series very much. The story present in C&C 4 left much to be desired (in other words, it wasn't that good). For more information, look on page 3 on me small review of it.

Metal Gear Rex
February 27th, 2010, 03:10
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah (blah blah blah.)

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah (blah blah EA blah blah)
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Blah blah

blah blah blah (blah)

-RECONIZED COMMAND-
-RESPOND ACTION-

Boo!

-COMMENCE SHUT DOWN-

(Just messing with you. :P Boo ea!)

A New Room
February 27th, 2010, 03:14
Tiberian sun was one of my favourite RTS (after DK of course). C&C3 was a pretty big disappointment for me. So I don't think I will be getting 4 any time soon.

Metal Gear Rex
February 27th, 2010, 03:17
Seriously speaking, I've played some C&C but I don't remember which ones. I had one for the N64 and then played a few games with my brother (When he was bored he used to get me to play games with him, glad those days are over) but I don't remember much. Haven't played it in some time now so yeah I dunno.

Sire
February 27th, 2010, 03:18
Ever since EA got their hands on the C&C series, they pretty much ****ed it up and are making a lot of money from people buying their ****y games just for the storyline of their favorite series.

I hate EA myself, but C&C is still clinging onto me (as well as Red Alert)

A New Room
February 27th, 2010, 03:21
I heard a rumour that Bullfrog games are next (don't think it will be DK though, but we'll see)

Metal Gear Rex
February 27th, 2010, 03:22
Ever since EA got their hands on the C&C series, they pretty much ****ed it up and are making a lot of money from people buying their ****y games just for the storyline of their favorite series.

Thing about EA is that they can make "good" games, sometimes.

However, they have a problem with names. They seem to mix up names of different games with these other good games, if you get my meaning.

(I actually recall once hearing of one game having a different game's name slapped on it just to sell it, I think it was something like Crontra or something like that)

Evi
February 27th, 2010, 03:23

Indeed. EA ruined this game so badly...

The awesome furture looking soldiers are now the bland looking Soldiers in almost every other modern RTS...

Rest in Peace Command and Conquer of Westwood, we shall miss you.

A New Room
February 27th, 2010, 03:26
I once sent a letter to Westwood...

They never wrote me back :(

Madkill
February 27th, 2010, 03:27
Main thing I dislike is they changed the gameplay quite a bit from what the old C&C used to be like. (Course, that's EA for ya.)

Yes, every 10 years EA decides to change the gameplay completely, because after 10 years people still want the exact same version of the same game only looking different.
We called that Generals and it was a big success, gameplay was fun and had a lot of replayability to it, be it multiplayer or skirmish, and its modding scene was nearly as large as Half-Life 2's.

I'm glad they've changed the system with C&C4, I'm disappointed by what's not longer there but I enjoy what's new and if you think about it, people wanted to setup a base anywhere and what better way than to have a large mobile construction unit that can be deployed anywhere and disperse units constantly without a resource limitation. A game where one guy can't go lone-wolf from his team-mates and expect to win, C&C4 has a good tactical side to it since spamming units can't win you the battle.

If you haven't tried C&C4 then you cannot go ahead and say it sucks without coming across as an ignorant child who thinks the game started since Generals or C&C 3.
Its a nice change and you'll either love or hate it, but its still worth a try before disregarding it completely, especially from what EA-haters say.

Depending on how future C&C games progress I may or may not play them, however C&C4 is only driving me because I want the conclusion and I enjoy the level based system for the players as well as the new way of playing C&C, its literally a new game. Which is a good way to handle sequels for RTS', especially ones as diverse as C&C.

There's a lot that's different and if you're no good with change then how you have survived in the world today is outstanding.

EA have done bad and because of its size and plague-like-spreading it has to be the bad guy when really, they're as honest as a big corporation like that is going to come.
I'm glad there wasn't a DK3, it would have most likely looked and played like shite if they tried to rush it within two years from when DK2 was released.
Enough ignorant hatred for EA already, prove a valid point that's more recent and isn't a bunch of cogwash.

Sire
February 27th, 2010, 03:31
Let's see... Good C&C Games. (Personal Opnions)

Command and Conquer (Heavily enjoyed.)
Command and Conquer: The Convert Operations (Heavily enjoyed [but effin HARD!])

Red Alert (Probably my top favorite C&C game)
Red Alert: Counterstrike (Expansion to Red Alert, which I really liked.)
Red Alert: Aftermath (Same as above)

Tiberan Sun (Heavily enjoyed, enjoyable cutscenes.)
Tiberan Sun: Firestorm (It was a pretty good expansion for a pretty enjoyed game.)

Red Alert 2 (For some reason, I didn't like Red Alert 2 much. The story and everything is ok, but something just makes me not like it.)
Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge (Since this is the expansion to the above...)

Command and Conquer 3 (I found this better than Red Alert 2 in terms of enjoyment.)
Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath (I haven't tested out this one yet)

Red Alert 3 (Too cartonny graphics and too much emphais on cutscenes. I really did like that Soviet guy though, but he dies or loses in every campaign... The game itself though was pretty good, although I did miss the old massive fields to mine stuff from. Co-Commander system was a definite win, and I also loved the messages they send to you during Skirmish.)
Red Alert 3: Uprising (Only thing it has going for it is the Commander's Challenge...)

Edit:

While I do dislike EA, like MGR said, sometimes they do manage to punch out a good game or two.
Sure, while I'll miss the old system of gameplay, it'll get old after awhile.

I can't really say anything about Command and Conquer 4 without trying it though. Gotta play through campaign and play the game myself before I start making final decisions and opnions.

Madkill
February 27th, 2010, 03:33
Your opinion is not a fact, when did you play your first C&C game? What year?

Not that it matters entirely, but C&C 4 is worth a try. That's my recommendation, maybe you should have signed up for the BETA.

A New Room
February 27th, 2010, 03:34
1999 for me, wanted DK1 but got Tiberian Sun. In the name of Kane!

Sire
February 27th, 2010, 03:37
I edited my post to include your statement Madkill.

Like I said up there, I can't really say anything about C&C 4 without playing it first. I really want to try it and see the C&C ending for sure, it's just that EA's reputation is a bit low and likes to crank out games more for cash than playability. (Had a few run-ins with their Medal of Honor series that my dad bought me... Luckily, we know not to make that mistake anymore. :p)

The classes system looks interesting though. Changes aren't always bad, sometimes, old things need to be revamped.

Edit:

For my first C&C Game it was Red Alert. I forgot what year, but before 2000. I fell in love with that game and the Soviets with their submarines, mammoth tanks, and tesla coils.

Angry Reaper
February 27th, 2010, 07:37
They bought out pandemic studios and gave them deadlines they couldn't meet to produce quality games so they decided to shut them down but let them make their final game, "the sabatour"
response to madkillls post on page 1.

Sire
February 27th, 2010, 17:03
EA's strategy, as I think of it, is buying companies that have a decent fanbase and then force that company to disband, but EA keeps the copyright.
So, when EA makes the game, most fans flock to it because it's in the series. However, they love to change many things that the orginal company did not have in mind as well as countless other stuff.
While all companies do require to make a profit out of their games, EA seems focused more on money than a good game that will last for years. (I'll take Medal of Honor as an example. They only have 9 missions or so, and after you beat it, there's nothing left. Yet the cost remains as a normal game.)

(Off-Topic) I'm starting to think ever since Blizzard merged with Activision or ever since WoW was first released Blizzard started heading a bit more toward the money aspect as well. At least they are still making pretty good games...

The real problem is, as a company begins to grow, it becomes less and less about the games and more about the money. I would really like to see a company that remains uncorrupted by greed and power and makes extremely good quaility games. (Nintendo may be a good example of this, but I'm looking more toward the gamer perspective than a casual one.)

Of course, there are always exceptions, but I don't have much infomation on what company is good / bad, etc.

I really would like to get C&C 4 when it gets released, but I still need a new PC and can't buy anything until April... ><
A PSP would be nice too...

Trotim
February 27th, 2010, 17:08
I played C&C 1 back when it was released and it was great. Red Alert, eh, not so much. Funnily enough, I loved RA2 (though without Yuri's Revenge tbh), especially online. Generals was decent too but already lost its C&C feeling... and then Red Alert 3, well... not that good.

C&C4, well... I can't say I really care. I'm personally waiting for Starcraft 2 and would probably rather play Red Alert 2 again than buy C&C4.

Hapuga
February 27th, 2010, 17:57
I don't like when people take an old brand name and start to experiment with it. Call it something else then, why C&C. Of course, marketing, no need to explain.

I liked C&C, RA, TS, RA2, Generals, because those were great solid games. Were they mutually same? Yes. Did they suffer because of that? No.

C&C 3 might be not such a bad game, but I somehow disliked it. There was something that was unpleasant... Hard to explain what. And I'm not prejudiced, no. I'm not one of those idiots who start bashing a game before they played it and made their opinion.

RA3 was a disaster. Actually, the whole period was a disaster for me. RA3. Fallout 3. GTA 4...

Now, those are not bad games, at all. Fallout is a good game. GTA 4 is a good game. RA3... probably is a good game for someone. The problem is, those are not the games we knew. F3 is not fallout. I played it and I didn't have a feeling of playing a F game. And that is not because of 3d graphs, such elements as 2d or 3d have NOTHING to do with game's atmosphere.
Same with GTA. I'm a great fan of GTA 2 and 3. Rampage. I didn't have that feeling in other GTA titles that were successors.
RA3... Now, RA2 was hilarious. Tovarishch Romanov was perfect. Yuri had a LOT of character. The history was okay. And RA3 is somewhat ridiculous. Ridiculous units. Ridiculous figures. Videos are of great quality, but they are dull... The water/land/air swap.... I don't know.

I will definitely look forward to play C&C 4. But I don't expect much of it.

Madkill
February 27th, 2010, 18:46
People seem to forget that RA2 was cartoony as well, which why I always seem to find it funny when they say RA3 was too cartoony when really its just most likely more dimensional, so to speak.

I loved the idea of half the units being able to go into the water so it made a nice bit of sense to break out onto that, however both C&C3 and RA3 (Generals too) had that idea of adding a third side and I must say, I enjoy the Japanese in RA3 more than the Scrin. Although both teams have horrible back-stories and concept/designs.

"EA's strategy, as I think of it, is buying companies that have a decent fanbase and then force that company to disband, but EA keeps the copyright."

That's an out-dated EA; it was like that for a time (or seemed it at least) but they're not like that any more, at long last! They're using what they've got and attempting to see what they can make from it.

---v Off-Topic---
As for Blizzard I disagree, there is a lot of story involved with World of Warcraft and a lot of content in-general, their expansions are just a better way of implementing it as well as gaining a small bonus from every subscription.
They have many servers and they need money to keep those running remember.
We'll have to wait till Starcraft II for the final verdict.
---Off-Topic ^---
Medal of Honour in my opinion was a good game, its expansions were absolute shite.(EA)
Call of Duty 1&2 were good(Activision), the rest sucked hobo-balls considering it was a game that sprung from the PC and then consolized itself for the money.

Sire
February 27th, 2010, 19:07
Looks like I'm behind the times. :p
It always seems I get infomation after the fact...

Also, the more and more I think about RA2, the more and more it's a good game. (I also had old memories of RA2 that I rather not share that just recently popped into my mind...)
It's hard to try and arrange things in a tiered list. All of the C&C games are pretty good, but it seems to me that RA2 is a little behind the rest of the group. Uprising was the worst though, but it did provide entertainment for its cheap price.

For Blizzard we do have to wait for Starcraft II to come out, although I'm hearing things such as adding extra features to B.net for extra cash. So far, all paid services are there for convience (although they seem a little overpriced to me), and for server payments I can see why subscription is high.
My current thing against Blizzard is that they are changing the voice actors. (I loved the old Sylvanas and Kerrigan [New sylvanvas I do not like at all, but I need to see more of the new Kerrigan before I say anything.], new Jania and Lich King I can handle but I do still miss the old ones.) While this changes nothing about the main concepts, since I love the lore and backstory of games, changing voice actors is almost like changing the character itself.

Hapuga
February 27th, 2010, 20:13
Offtopic:

Paid services is an excellent mean of driving 80% of retards and other disturbed personalities away from the game. Mainly, because retards do not understand what they pay for.

That's why I'm eagerly waiting when BNET will be like WoW. At least, to some extent. 8-15$ per month is not the price to get greedy about. I spend more on bubblegum per month, and I'm not the biggest bubblegum fan out there =)

Well, of course there were a lot of lulz in playing with retarded guys. Chat ruled. But with time passing it starts to annoy you and you want a more or less adequate company. Maybe I'm getting old, I dunno :D

Sire
February 28th, 2010, 01:53
I'm currently downloading quite a bit of C&C (series) music. If you guys want any of it, I can upload it on rapidshare and post it here when I'm done.

Music contains selections from Command and Conquer, Red Alert, and Red Alert 2. Note that only the first ten downloaders can get it.

Link (http://rapidshare.com/files/356866745/Command_and_Conquer.ZIP.html)
Source (http://gh.ffshrine.org/)

dotted
February 28th, 2010, 17:03
http://twitter.com/dotted1337/status/8765693109

Sire
April 3rd, 2010, 02:31
Just bought and finished the game playing Nod.

...Ending left much to be desired. Perhaps the worst ending ever I have seen.
The Wife was pointless.
Storyline could have been improved (I enjoyed this version (http://forums.commandandconquer.com/jforum/posts/list/37830.page) (created by fans).
Constant internet connectivity is a bit annoying.
Too short of a campaign.
It was made by EA, and that is bad.

Gameplay was pretty decent. A mobile base at all times is a nice concept, but I would like to stick to old fashioned C&C build, command, and conquer.
Upgrade system was a bit nice (finished the campaign without needing to play any skirmishes for points)
I enjoyed the "boss" units.
The three classes was ok, but I still prefer the C&C style in a C&C game, not an experimental gameplay device.

In terms of gameplay, C&C 4 is a pretty good or decent game. Alas, the storyline and campaign mode was poor. Seems like nowdays people rush for the multiplayer aspects in games instead of a nice storyline.

Oh well, that's just me. Some people don't touch the campaign and head straight to multiplayer...

Madkill
April 3rd, 2010, 04:45
Main thing I dislike is they changed the gameplay quite a bit from what the old C&C used to be like.

I'm probably gonna get it though because I enjoy the storyline...

The change was good.

The 'concluded' storyline was a load of bollocks and now I no longer like you for liking and disliking the wrong things.

I refuse to read the post above mine!

Edit: Oh wow! I've already been in this thread. Hah. Feels good to respond to the first post again after the game was released and after I had played the game, for free.

Sire
April 3rd, 2010, 05:06
@ Madkill

Oh well, if you insist. Alas, if you say you didn't read it, then how do you have the knowledge of what it has said? As I have said before, I have not tested it at the time of the beginning of the post.
Opinions can change over time, perhaps I have stated my words incorrectly earlier.

Heck, I'm a madman that doesn't know what he talks about. Sucks for me eh?

Madkill
April 3rd, 2010, 19:56
Third line and what follows should not be taken seriously. That much was pretty obvious.

Hapuga
April 3rd, 2010, 20:44
It was made by EA, and that is bad.

(facepalm)