PDA

View Full Version : US Health care

Duke Ragereaver
March 22nd, 2010, 15:52
Notice: Any Admin or Moderator may close this down at any time that that person see it fit
Notice 2: NO FLAMING OR SUCH IN THIS THREAD. Try to act civilized and mature, even when ranting or debating.

You probbaly read it, the health care reform bill passed the House of Representatives on March 21, 2010 by a vote of 219–212, a pretty close call. Personally I'm glad for the citizens of the USA will have coverage, in fact, the United States is the only wealthy, industrialized nation that does not ensure that all citizens have coverage. In America, the population is divided about this; is it a privelegde or a fundamental right to have health care insurance?

What do you think of the whole health care thing?

Pros:
-Lower costs for all: alot of Americans do not have an insurance, thereby creating direct and hidden costs shared by all Americans
-Improve quality of life: the average life expectancy of US citizens is far below those of other developed places, like the European Union

Cons
-Budget shortages: if the goverment is to fund the whole thing, it will undoubtely lead to problems. Increasing taxes isn't probbaly the most popular thing either...
-Opponents claim that requiring people to have health insurance argue that this impinges on their personal freedom

Hapuga
March 22nd, 2010, 16:06
As a follower of classical school of economics I believe that complete governmental intervention may be harmful. But it will drive benefits like regulation over certain aspects of pharmacy. It will not raise govt. spending, because govt. is not the one to develop this field. It will remain sovereign, but under govt. control. As such, taxes will not increase. And if it will, who cares? Prices will raise, inflation will follow. And then FBA will simply print more money, inflation rate stabilizes and everyone's happy. You live in a great country. You have an opportunity to print world currency that is not supported by anything in any amounts you want.

Monsterbaby
March 22nd, 2010, 17:39
As everthing else it has it, a good side and a bad side.

However I still believe in the long run, it will be great for the poorest people in America, and I know there are a lot of them. Where I live we pay tons and tons of taxes and we are one of the countries in the world, spending the most money on our wellfare system, that it sucks compared to the money spend is a whole other issue. But it must be nice as an american to feel a bit more safe when it comes to your own health, if you don't have any money.
I think it is a good idea that the government takes control of a part of the heatlhcare system. As Obama said in one of his speeches, so much money goes into the palms of the inscurance companies. At some point I don't even understand why it has been like that for so long. Afterall health is not always something you can control. Everyone has some form of genetic disease and some people are born with weaknesses. So I think it is a good step for the americans, that they have gotten this through - eventhough I'm not entirely sure yet what exactly specific points of the reform contain.

All I know is, I think it is great that Obama has tried so hard to keep his word to the american people, and that he didn't give up on this, and always tries to get things done ASAP, instead of letting it be in a dusty drawer.

I really hope the best for this and the Americans.
(I still want to point out the world doesn't evolve around USA and a lot of other countries have bigger problems)

Hapuga
March 22nd, 2010, 17:54
US has 12.5 trln $ external debt. I wonder how Mr. O. will fix that... Anyway, that's offtopic.

Trotim
March 22nd, 2010, 18:42
It was about damn time, but the reform he got through is unfortunately not enough yet. Here's to hoping McCain won't screw this up.

Monsterbaby
March 22nd, 2010, 19:28
Well, maybe it is "about damn time" , but if he could have fixed it in day one, he would have done that. He has pretty much been touching that reform everyday ever since he became president.

I'm amazed he actually in the end managed to get enough people to vote for it. I think that is great.

A New Room
March 22nd, 2010, 20:02
Also the debate caused by the British MP slagging off the UK's NHS really didn't help much...

Sire
March 22nd, 2010, 20:52
Don't get me started on politics, otherwise I'll take Otto's solution to everything and apply it to real life...

Hapuga
March 22nd, 2010, 21:10
Bismark was tough. But ain't no fool.

Searingflame2
March 23rd, 2010, 13:16
I'm personally for the notion, as it is your right to be provided with Health Care, but it is also your obligation to make sure you have healthcare (hope its not too contradictory).

Now, yeah, there are a billion and one tangents i'd like to follow but I wont, i'll follow one already raised.

Here's to hoping McCain won't screw this up.

Scoff. RON PAUL 2012!!! Don't you just wish that the honest and just could make it to the whitehouse without selling their souls first?

Metal Gear Rex
March 23rd, 2010, 14:35
Scoff. RON PAUL 2012!!! Don't you just wish that the honest and just could make it to the whitehouse without selling their souls first?

Nah, I don't make wishes. I take actions. :)

Looks like this will take effect just in time for me to get it, oh what perfect timing.