PDA

View Full Version : Touhou (Bullet Hell Shooter)

Sire
April 5th, 2010, 07:12
(Copy and pasted from original forum source, credit goes to KitaeK27 of Mabinogi World)

東方Project, also known as the Touhou Project, is a series of "bullet hell/curtain shooters" (danmaku) games made by Team Shanghai Alice.

Team Shanghai Alice is made of only one member, a Japanese game developer under the alias ZUN. He does all the graphics, coding, music, and production for the entire series.

The generic Touhou game plays like a top scrolling shooter game. Think Raiden on the arcade systems, or Pheonix on your calculators games. It is very well known for having a intense number of bullets on the screen, which can be very intimidating and heart pumping.

Touhou is also very famous for its music and character design (in fact, more people enjoy Touhou for the music than the game itself!) You may have heard remixes all over the internet before without even knowing it was from Touhou.

Here is an example of a Touhou game. I also picked this out because of the background music has probably been heard by most people thanks to the "McRolled" video floating around youtube.

Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Extra Stage Boss (watch in HD if possible!)
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zZu2O_JQ4vs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zZu2O_JQ4vs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Ever since the later half of Touhou's release, its popularity on the internet exploded and spread throughout all of the world. Fangames, music remixes, and comics pop up every day. Even an Anime project has begun, which has proved to be accepted well by the community so far.

Hakurei Shrine Reitaisai is a convention held in Japan yearly focusing purely on Touhou content only. The Touhou Project was nominated for the eleventh annual Media Arts Plaza awards held by Japan's Agency for Cultural Affairs, but lost out to Nintendo's Wii Sports.

FAQ:

Where can I get Touhou?
Google has the answers, our board might be able to help you out as well.

So many bullets! How does anyone dodge that?
Practice. Its not as insanely hard as you might think at first glance. Your characters have a much smaller hitbox than their own sprite, represented by a small white circle which appears on your back when you hold focus (shift).

Touhou doesn't run!
You are either missing the latest version of Direct X, or you are missing a dll file. Both can be easily downloaded by searching on google.

Whats a good game to start on?
Chronologically speaking, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil is the first game made for Windows, and is probably the best one to play if you're looking to go through the storyline from the start. Otherwise, the most "beginner friendly" version may be Mountain of Faith, for its upgraded engine and "recharging" bomb system. The two games Immaterial and Missing Power and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody are 2 directional, 1v1 fighting games, which support online play.

(Original post ends here)

Although I really doubt that anyone here would catch interest in this game, it is pretty addicting. I currently play Touhou 6, constantly hitting what I call the "Panic Button" (Bomb) and sing the s*** song (something i came up with).
Perhaps the game may suit your fancy, but at a Dungeon Keeper message board, I highly doubt it. Oh well, just goes to show I got other stuff besides DK in my schedule.

zaikantos
April 17th, 2010, 12:17
Holy s*** that looks f****** hard xD
I think i would be dead within 20 seconds...

EDIT:
just read that your hitbox is small. Was already wondering why he didnt get hit...

A New Room
April 18th, 2010, 20:47
A really, really tiny hit box considering he gets hit straight on at one point. :/