PDA

View Full Version : KeeperFX - TCP/IP support ?

Chr!x
April 11th, 2010, 21:16
Hi !

Short question : do you plan add TCP/IP support in near future ? Next week ? Next month ? Next year ? :rolleyes:

If YES (:p), what kind on improvements can we concretely expect ? Playing over internet ? A specific server should be necessary ?

mefistotelis
April 11th, 2010, 21:38
Yes, it is planned.

Actually, P_Hansson (who recently become a 2nd KeeperFX developer) has already started working on that.

At first, there will probably be some config file with list of other players IPs; later, we will make some GUI for it, and maybe even a server application (server app code will be, of course, open).

Still, it's a long road; it will definitely take months. Not sure how many.

Chr!x
April 11th, 2010, 21:45
I'll be proud hosting KeeperFX GameServer when it'll be release :cool: Freely of course :p

dotted
April 12th, 2010, 12:02
and maybe even a server application (server app code will be, of course, open).
I hope it will run under Linux :p

p_hansson
April 12th, 2010, 12:49
Yes, it will take a lot of time though... Lots of things that might not work of original code and will need to be recoded along the way.

HostFat
September 29th, 2010, 01:39
Are there any news about this feature? :D

kyle
September 29th, 2010, 10:04
Come to think of it I haven't heard much of keeperfx latley

dotted
September 29th, 2010, 10:28
Come to think of it I haven't heard much of keeperfx latley
Last SVN commit was 2 days ago, so he is still actively working on it ;)

kyle
September 29th, 2010, 11:03
Oh thats good, I wonder where P_hanson has went, he has not commited in quite a while.

p_hansson
October 5th, 2010, 12:35
Oh I had other things to do, I'm still alive though and hopefully wil be working lots with KeeperFX again...

I've also come to the realization network support will take A LOT of time, quite possibly 1+ year...

kyle
October 5th, 2010, 16:40
Yaaayy :) Im just glad to see you both there, doesn't matter how long it takes, it will be awesome in any form it comes in,

Pizu_Meaku
October 5th, 2010, 21:43
yup, being able to write/create send and the recieve and translating these packets will be a kick ass hard job for you :) good luck! altough i do think the internet will supply you with enough documentation hence this has been done alotz before!

Metal Gear Rex
October 6th, 2010, 00:52
yup, being able to write/create send and the recieve and translating these packets will be a kick ass hard job for you :) good luck! altough i do think the internet will supply you with enough documentation hence this has been done alotz before!

Interesting, using the Internet to create the Internet. :P

Pizu_Meaku
October 6th, 2010, 15:59
Interesting, using the Internet to create the Internet. :P

smartass! :P you know what i mean!

p_hansson
October 6th, 2010, 16:39

Oh don't worry, I've written networked games before :).

The difference with KeeperFX is how incredibly difficult it is to get an overview of what is happening inside the game itself; not all source is rewritten, and a lot of rewritten source has unlabeled variable names.

p_hansson
October 19th, 2010, 10:55
Seems I was a bit pessimistic. Still no idea exactly how long it will take however, need to fix lots of crash bugs/other weird stuff like all players winning game directly on start.
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/4800/notimpossible.jpg

kyle
October 19th, 2010, 12:20
It is very exciting to see pictures like that as I have difficulties even getting to that screen. Keep up the good work man :)

p_hansson
October 20th, 2010, 08:22
I need some help with mass testing this. Please read everything that follows and don't just press download link.

First, THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL KEEPERFX RELEASE; THERE ARE MORE BUGS THAN USUAL. This is only for people interested in helping out, because network crashes are quite frustrating.

Steps to get this working:
1. Download 531
2. Unzip into a new 0.37c directory (copy your old one if you are sure there are no file modifications). Remember, this will be quite bugged so you don't want to overwrite your existing KeeperFX installation.
3. To actual play a TCP/IP game:
3.a. 1 person simply needs to enter multiplayer in menu, select TCP/IP and create game. He will be server. He should have best connection. Please run keeperfx_dbg.exe in preference to keeperfx.exe unless the game performance is too bad with debug logging.
3.b. The others need to know the IP address of the server. They will need to add a command line option called "-sessions 193.45.34.112:5555,74.5.33.44:5555" for instance. What this does is to add the two sessions in the comma separated list to the list of connectible sessions inside Dungeon Keeper. So then you can start multiplayer with this command line, select TCP/IP, and select the game you want to join and press Join. One more thing: You must specify port 5555, it is currently not selectable. Again, please run keeperfx_dbg.exe in preference to keeperfx.exe unless the game performance is too bad with debug logging.

Known bugs:
1. Up to 16 players can join but only 4 can play (space is reserved for future expansion once whole game is rewritten). Don't try to add a fifth player or funny things will happen.
2. The game currently does not react on player drops. This means, the only time you'll directly notice a player has dropped is by inspecting keeperfx.log. Chat with them (Enter button) to ask if they're still there. Once a player has dropped, his place will still be occupied; please restart server if this occurred in while forming game.
3. The application level protocol used is not yet updated to a modern RTS protocol which allows a large amount of lag. Chances are the game will lag terribly unless you are on a LAN. Please report the performance you get and what your Internet connections are. You'll still do me a favor though the laggy game might suck. ;D

Unknown bugs:
That's why we're here. Whenever you see a crash or suspicious behavior, please post your keeperfx.log and the .spck and .pck files stored in the same directory as .exe after the incident has occurred.

Keep in mind this download utilizes the latest SVN version, there are far more changes than in just the networking code, so it's possible other stuff that's not related to networking crashes.

kyle
October 20th, 2010, 12:42
I'm going to test it now from my computer to my laptop. Over LAN.

kyle
October 20th, 2010, 13:30
Tried it, I see the game, but it can't join the game, comes up "Attempting to join" and then "failed to join". I think I have done something wrong down the line, this port 5555? You said I need to specify it. What do you mean by that?

p_hansson
October 20th, 2010, 13:31
Edit: I crashed in pathfinding code, not sure if it would help if I disabled/enabled it, so I'll leave that for later investigation. The risk is the game will always freeze up at some point because of it though.

Also mouse cursor was behaving really weirdly, not sure what to make of that.

p_hansson
October 20th, 2010, 13:32
Tried it, I see the game, but it can't join the game, comes up "Attempting to join" and then "failed to join". I think I have done something wrong down the line, this port 5555? You said I need to specify it. What do you mean by that?

What IP address did you add?

With port I mean appending :5555 to IP address. Like 192.168.0.102:5555

kyle
October 20th, 2010, 13:33
~Oh, should I use my LAN ip address, I used my internet one and the other computer is on my LAN.

Used this: 90.200.13.122:5555

p_hansson
October 20th, 2010, 13:38
Internet IP should work if you don't have router blocking.

There also seems to be a mouse cursor issue where mouse gets stuck on corners. (The reason I'm finding all this now is because I'm finally testing vs. a remote connection.)

kyle
October 20th, 2010, 13:39
I don't know if my router is doing this, should I test with my LAN ip too?

I noticed the mouse cursor issue, it was annoying.

kyle
October 20th, 2010, 13:44
Did that, worked, it could join my game and get to the map selection, was fooling around with the hands when mines flew into the corner due to the mouse bug. Then it crashed on me.

p_hansson
October 20th, 2010, 13:45
Ok thx

I'll look into mouse issue also, it could be a change since release of 0.37c that's bad, but it could also be because of how network induces extra lag.

I can't see anything from your log, it's not the debug version. :(

kyle
October 20th, 2010, 14:00
Hmm, I will try again and will make sure it is debug.

kyle
October 20th, 2010, 14:08
Sorry for the double posting, don't know if it says there is a new post if I just edit.

Another game, got into it fine, the game is a tad jump, but its playable very much, the mouse bug is past irritating.

p_hansson
October 20th, 2010, 14:13
Playing with a friend I get a predictable path finding crash, going to see why and then reupload; I managed to reduce mouse cursor issue a bit (though it's still bugged - also keyboard shortcuts aren't responsive).

kyle
October 20th, 2010, 14:14
Yes I also noticed that the keys don't work, So using the arrows to move the camera does not work. You also don't appear to start of with any imps, that might just be the map though.

p_hansson
October 20th, 2010, 14:17
Yes that's definitely the map.

p_hansson
October 20th, 2010, 15:18
Ok, here you have a version where the crashing pathfinding functions have been disabled. Also the mouse cursor is slightly more manageable, though it's still bad (particularly on level selection view): 534

I still crashed after about 5 minutes in my latest game though so there are definitely more bugs to be found.

kyle
October 20th, 2010, 15:25
I will try quite soon, I don't have acsess to my laptop anymore :(

p_hansson
October 20th, 2010, 15:32
My impression is one has to run it for about 5 minutes now to get it to crash. Not sure if players' commands are required or not though it seems likely.

That also gives me the idea simply to leave it on and see if it crashes without me doing anything... Will try that.

Khashul
October 20th, 2010, 15:54
That also gives me the idea simply to leave it on and see if it crashes without me doing anything... Will try that.

A soak test! Really rooting for you to get this working, I play network games constantly so this would be amazing! Keep up the good work!

p_hansson
October 20th, 2010, 20:32
A soak test! Really rooting for you to get this working, I play network games constantly so this would be amazing! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for your support! Indeed, my love for MP gaming and DK1 combined is what drives me to do this. ;)

@all
I've now concluded it's currently more or less unplayable, there's a random and highly frequent crash when building rooms that for obvious reasons impedes gameplay. I'm debugging it ASAP but until I find a fix for that error I think it's a waste of your time to test anything (unless you're doing it just to enjoy yourselves :horny::horny:).

kyle
October 20th, 2010, 20:53
It just excites me to get even into the game, can't test no more as someone is borrowing my laptop :(

p_hansson
October 22nd, 2010, 09:39
Ok, here's the real deal: 543 Anyone who hasn't been following: Read instructions in this post: http://www.keeperklan.com/threads/916-KeeperFX-TCP-IP-support?p=25015&viewfull=1#post25015

I reverted pathfinding code to pre 0.37 and now it seems it may actually be possible to play a full game without crashes in best case.

There's still the weird mouse and keyboard stuff, that doesn't seem related directly to the netcode either but rather due to the SDL integration not being completely finished.

dotted
October 22nd, 2010, 13:03
Ok, here's the real deal: 543 Anyone who hasn't been following: Read instructions in this post: http://www.keeperklan.com/threads/916-KeeperFX-TCP-IP-support?p=25015&viewfull=1#post25015

I reverted pathfinding code to pre 0.37 and now it seems it may actually be possible to play a full game without crashes in best case.

There's still the weird mouse and keyboard stuff, that doesn't seem related directly to the netcode either but rather due to the SDL integration not being completely finished.

I love you

p_hansson
October 22nd, 2010, 17:31
iluvu2 ^^

I've set up an unmanaged Hamachi network for people who want to play testing MP:
name: keeperfx
pass: dkrules

Though possibly it will be so damn laggy nobody wants to play a second game... We'll see.

Metal Gear Rex
October 22nd, 2010, 21:41
Hmm... I now wish to make some multiplayer maps for DK1.

p_hansson
October 23rd, 2010, 10:52
Would be nice. :)

But I noticed there are some issues yet. My latest game went out of sync after a few minutes and then kept spamming me with out of sync messages while progressively going more and more out of sync. Seems re-sync code hasn't been added.

Trotim
October 30th, 2010, 14:46
Any more progress already?

dotted
October 30th, 2010, 19:31

you are an impatient little fellah aint ya

Trotim
October 30th, 2010, 20:07
you are an impatient little fellah aint ya

Just wondering if there are any updates, even a "I didn't work on it for a second since my last post" would suffice =P

dotted
October 30th, 2010, 20:43
Just wondering if there are any updates, even a "I didn't work on it for a second since my last post" would suffice =P

http://code.google.com/p/keeperfx/source/list

p_hansson
October 30th, 2010, 21:48
Basically, I'm back to not knowing how long this will take.

Problems may be helped if/when implementing save file transfer (resynchronization), but potentially the bug that causes the out of sync attacks directly after the first out of sync make the resync useless. In that case, it'll be solved only when the inconsistency in the gameplay code can be located, something which I cannot give a time estimate for.

And yeah, I haven't worked on this for a week, RL demands were high. x_x

Rolo
November 24th, 2010, 01:41
I´m not sure if this is a bug or some kinda feature...
Since I installed the patch on this thread (3rd version) cursor keys and some other stopped working. I can only use the mouse to move arround (and sometimes it does not reach the border of the screen; it sticks before it so I can´t move the camera at all). Is there a way to fix this?

(I´m talking about single player games. Have not tried multiplayer before).

dotted
November 24th, 2010, 07:57
I´m not sure if this is a bug or some kinda feature...
Since I installed the patch on this thread (3rd version) cursor keys and some other stopped working. I can only use the mouse to move arround (and sometimes it does not reach the border of the screen; it sticks before it so I can´t move the camera at all). Is there a way to fix this?

(I´m talking about single player games. Have not tried multiplayer before).

thats probably due to the fact this version is based on alpha code, it is only meant for some basic testing, you should only use it to test multiplayer so stick to 0.37c

eddow
November 28th, 2010, 20:16
Any chance we will get a nice christmas present? A working tcp/ip keeperFX ? =D

Metal Gear Rex
November 28th, 2010, 22:44
Now listen carefully little Jimmy. Santa will come. You need to close your eyes and imagine.

(This actually reminds me of what Bullfrog tried to do but failed at when it came to releasing... and how I did too with the first JttAA)

p_hansson
November 28th, 2010, 23:12
Santa might come.. Or rather, winter time might provide me with some relaxed atmosphere for coding. I'm juggling my attention of too many various things ATM (e.g. job searching/finishing up studies) to be productive.

I do know how to proceed with this though and hopefully save game resynchronization when implemented will make game playable even with sync bugs.

jomalin
December 14th, 2010, 22:59

kyle
December 14th, 2010, 23:37

I would recommend keeping track of that instead of people asking the same question every 3 weeks.

jomalin
December 15th, 2010, 06:41
That's true. Sorry

Pizu_Meaku
December 15th, 2010, 08:31

I would recommend keeping track of that instead of people asking the same question every 3 weeks.

thanks for this link noble warrior.

kyle
December 15th, 2010, 09:57
That's true. Sorry

It's all good :)

jomalin
December 17th, 2010, 09:08
One more thing, why keeperfx will use TCP and not UDP? This is a very important decision for network programming and future network playing efficiency. I think the majority of online games use UDP... and some others uses both (taking TCP or UDP depending on the specific task...). They are a lot of forum discussions out there about TCP vs UDP in Google for network programming

This text is taken from a forum:

TCP can be used for the vast amount of MMOGs, the only time you really need to look at UDP is if you are doing something more immediate fps-like or more realistic physical simulations. You described moving tile by tile which is actually what Ultima Online did and that uses TCP... also note other small games that use TCP such as World of Warcraft :)

MMOG = Massively multiplayer online game.

Probably this is the answer to my question...

Mothrayas
December 17th, 2010, 16:07
So, why did you even post the question if you already got the answer?

Khashul
December 18th, 2010, 17:41
One more thing, why keeperfx will use TCP and not UDP? This is a very important decision for network programming and future network playing efficiency. I think the majority of online games use UDP... and some others uses both (taking TCP or UDP depending on the specific task...). They are a lot of forum discussions out there about TCP vs UDP in Google for network programming

TCP can be used for the vast amount of MMOGs, the only time you really need to look at UDP is if you are doing something more immediate fps-like or more realistic physical simulations. You described moving tile by tile which is actually what Ultima Online did and that uses TCP... also note other small games that use TCP such as World of Warcraft :)

The actual answer to this question is that you need TCP because you need a connection orientated protocol. If you lost packets in a game like Dungeon Keeper it wouldn't bode well, for example a player moves a creature from one room to another, if the packet was lost or not transmitted the other player wouldn't see this. MMO's often have fail safes for this like prediction and thats they would use UDP for player movement. Most MMO's use both though and so do most online games.

p_hansson
December 23rd, 2010, 13:59

Because TCP is easier to use, and because nothing would be gained from using UDP due to the technical nature of the game (long explanation required: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3094/1500_archers_on_a_288_network_.php).

Actually, that article mentions UDP, but nowadays TCP works so well that UDP simply doesn't gain you anything for the extra trouble it incurs if implementing a RTS lockstep syc model.

jomalin
January 4th, 2011, 11:22
Thanks P_Hansson. I have another question for you... In a multiplayer game (TCP/IP) what will happen if one of the players pause his game or accelerates his game pressing Ctrl + "+"?? That will break the game I thought because of synchronization will not be possible.

p_hansson
January 4th, 2011, 13:32
I believe pause might be across all computers because it is a packet in original game. (But I haven't tried it.)

I have no clue what will happen on acceleration. ;) I'll put this on my TODO-list, but quite frankly there are many ways to make TCP/IP game crash at the moment, so it won't get looked at in a while.

jomalin
January 4th, 2011, 16:31
Another thing... I think the multiplayer server must check the keeperfx version of the clients, to ensure all of those have the latest version or the same as the server. Surely you have this on your TODO list already

p_hansson
January 4th, 2011, 16:47
Yupp thought of that as well =)

Still, what I will prioritize is to get game free from crashes and out of syncs for a start.

edorien
January 4th, 2011, 16:57
I have no clue what will happen on acceleration.

in the original, it didn't cause a desync, however the acceleration was only on one computer.
(Remember that acceleration was an undocumented feature )
Don't have this happening please

p_hansson
January 4th, 2011, 17:07
Alright

Anyway, then it will not have changed.

*Adds 10th reason to list of reasons for game crashing/desyncing*

jomalin
January 4th, 2011, 22:05
The 5th October 2010, you said you will expend 1+ year developping TCP/IP for keeperfx. Now that you have worked in that and you have released an experimental tcp/ip implementation in recent 0.38 version, how much time do you think you will need now to finalize it? This summer I will go to my city and I want to make a lan party to try this, so I don't know if that will be finished... can you estimate that approx??? THANKS A LOT and sorry asking this...

jomalin
January 7th, 2011, 10:43
OK... Just 2 simple questions:

1. What's the max number of players for TCP/IP multiplayer game?
2. How we distinguish each team? By color? By a team name above each creature?

I have never played DK in multiplayer...

DragonsLover
January 7th, 2011, 13:02
If nothing has been changed, the max number of players is 4.
To distinguish the teams, you just have to see which player you're allied with: the two others are your enemies. Just decide with which player you wanna be at the beginning of the game then once in-game, be sure to make an alliance with the selected player by going in the Information panel and clicking on the "face" next the amount of creatures of the player. The other player must also do so for you.
So yeah, it's by color.

jomalin
January 7th, 2011, 13:44
Thanks DragonsLover!

So the Lan Party I thought to do with 7 players, 3 will not play... OK! Probably an enhacement can be ALLOW MORE PLAYERS or different kind of multiplayer game, like all vs all (without alliances I mean). I think I'm dreaming... haha

p_hansson
January 7th, 2011, 14:34
Adding more players is not possible without completely rewriting entire game code. I might be able to add spectators, but that is iffy.

jomalin
January 7th, 2011, 15:35
And that "impossible" enhacement will require also bigger levels (to support more players and more space between them) instead of levels with fixed number of slabs... Really will require to rewrite the code

DragonsLover
January 7th, 2011, 17:11
A trick: instead of having 3 players not playing, do two separate games simultaneously: one with four players and one with three. :)

p_hansson
January 7th, 2011, 18:07
Sorry I didn't write more in detail, wrote last message on mobile phone in airport which takes ages to type on.
In that context rewrite = reverse engineering, essentially I meant entire game must be converted from assembler to C code before max player numbers can be changed, because that max was hardcoded into memory and players stored as one fixed size array (or more, I think). It's the same issue as with the limited number of Things (game entities), and the limited map size.

So the only thing I can do is (big maybe) allow several 'spectators' that can simply log in and watch what happens, and secondly perhaps allow people to share 'players', i.e. so you have two or more people controlling same dungeon. On the other hand, I see that as problematic because of how game relies on the 'Hand' of power to pick up things - that one couldn't be shared easily. Nor would possession be easy to adapt for shared control, etc. (due to engine limitations).

DragonsLover
January 8th, 2011, 20:50
Having spectators could be nice actually.

But I agree that it would be troublesome to allow more than 4 players. Dungeon areas for every dungeon would be small in size, the amount of creatures in every dungeon would be small, it would require extra slab colors, extra space in the information panel and rewriting code to allow all that.

It would have been nice, but 4 players is already very good and kinda enough.

Replica
March 19th, 2011, 06:01
Hi,

I just found this thread about how KeeperFX is getting on since someone mentioned it again, I had a look and tried the latest KeeperFX and so far I am quite impressed with how it ran in single player from when I last tried it.
I have not tried it in Multiplayer yet, but was wondering if you will ever code the ability to start your own Dedicated Server so people can join it for Server/Client games instead of P2P or so.

This could possibly make the netplay experience much better when hosting it on rented game servers with low ping times and fast connections and good hardware as well as players will not require to forward any ports as it's server/client, and only the machine running the server would need a port forwarded?

MaxHayman
March 19th, 2011, 18:35
Erm, dedicated game servers arnt really used in most RTS game. Perhaps a dedicated lobby server would be better. Thing is people would need to pay to keep the servers up. (and i dont imagine they would be used heavily).

Replica
March 19th, 2011, 19:13
Erm, dedicated game servers arnt really used in most RTS game. Perhaps a dedicated lobby server would be better. Thing is people would need to pay to keep the servers up. (and i dont imagine they would be used heavily).

P2P could still be very good, especially as it doesn't support loads of players 4 or so.
If the netcode could be improved it might make it even better.

Me and Turrican have a games service called YANG (Yet Another Netplay Guider) originally developed by NY00123 - http://yang-online.com.
It's a games launcher portable with Windows / Linux and Mac. Advertises players rooms on the master server list along with other features.
I don't know if you would support it or not, but if Turrican and if you ever agreed to add KeeperFX to it, it might help the community to play Dungeon Keeper online.
At the moment it's mostly to play Duke Nukem 3D and Blood, Shadow Warrior, Descent 1 and 2 online.

If one day we supported UPnP, we do have it coded already but it's just not enabled at the moment as it was tried long ago but we had a few issues with it however it could possibly work with wxWidgets x2.9 though. http://www.wxwidgets.org/.
With UPnP it would automatically temporarily forward the port needed for the game if players router/modem had UPnP enabled, which most modems do by defaults these days.
Then players would not have port forwarding problems anymore.

I know it's still the early stages and you have just recently been working on the TCP/IP part. I hope it goes well.
I will try it occasionally when I have time and report any crashes in the log files if any.

Replica
March 28th, 2011, 11:04
I will try test more using Oracle a virtual machine over a lan.
I had tested a short time with a german player over internet about 10fps it was acceptable though and playable like on Kali using the Windows version :-).

I did wonder if you knew about this bug that causes an out of sync in the original Dungeon Keeper and also KeeperFX a problem with the allie on the game menu, when for example 2 players allie with each other in the game menu. When 2 players are playing against the AI, for example on the multiplayer level 150. If they allied using the multiplayer game menu shown in the screenshot I attached of the game menu where my mouse cursor is, the game risks going out of sync in allot of maps. This used to happen to me on lots of games until I figured out what it was in the original.
If player 1 for example digs to the gems on level 150, once the boulder trap starts there the 2nd player seems to crash in KeeperFX if they allied inside the game menu before start.
I have attached the crash log also in case it helps. I know it's to do with the allie before the game starts. But it seems to be fine if they allie with each other when inside the game instead then there is no oos or crash.

The original will just load back oos message and try to get in sync again but only if allied inside the game menu.

p_hansson
March 28th, 2011, 22:03
Thanks, I didn't know about that. :) Looks like the last message in the log is actually somewhat relevant too for starting debugging it.

<< ETA 2 months until I can get much work done on DKFX again. May do some minor things before that.

jomalin
April 28th, 2011, 17:01
Hi, lot of months since last changes to the TCP/IP code in the KeeperFX history. Has P_Hansson cancelled his TCP/IP development for KeeperFX? Thanks

kyle
April 28th, 2011, 17:04
He said, ETA 2 months before he can get work done on it, it's been one month. Give him some time, I think he would tell us if he was cancelling development.

Mothrayas
April 28th, 2011, 18:27
Hi, lot of months since last changes to the TCP/IP code in the KeeperFX history. Has P_Hansson cancelled his TCP/IP development for KeeperFX? Thanks

*angry rant start*

You people are rude and impatient. Programming online multiplayer doesn't particularly fall out of the sky magically. It takes time and effort. Much time and effort, in fact.

Additionally, you should READ THE DAMN POST RIGHT ABOVE YOURS, posted 1 month ago, where P_Hansson posted that it'll take two months (then; one month now) until he can get much done on it again. BE F***ING PATIENT.

*angry rant end*

jomalin
May 31st, 2011, 08:41
<< ETA 2 months until I can get much work done on DKFX again. May do some minor things before that.

Hi P_Hansson! I only want to know if you will continue to write the TCP/IP code in KeeperFX. Thanks

jomalin
June 9th, 2011, 03:23
No response... Looks like TCP/IP development will be delayed :-(

`ETCH
June 9th, 2011, 03:54
No response... Looks like TCP/IP development will be delayed :-(

or maybe he is focusing on the TCP/IP developments, rather than keeping everyone else happy with an update.

DragonsLover
June 9th, 2011, 13:14
Or perhaps you just have to be F***ING PATIENT. :mad:

Duke Ragereaver
June 9th, 2011, 16:22
Locked, there is nothing wrong in essence but it's turning out to be flamebait unintentionally .

Comment by Mefistotelis:

I will allow myself to put a little clarification here:

Asking such question isn't good for Open Source projects. Coders may often get bored by them and lose interest in the development. Even if the questions do not seem to be very frequent.

Everything we, coders, do is for free, and in free time. It is a part of our private life which we agree to share with others through our creations available on Internet.
But it doesn't mean we agree to use any work scenario, or to work on weekly basis, or to provide any support to anyone. If you want to ask if I will work on a Open Source project for free in this week/month/year - I can only answer "maybe". And after being asked a few times for various projects (I'm not only in KeeperFX, we usually do a lot of things) - to be honest, I prefer to go for a walk, make some photos of beautiful polish nature which is now blooming (try playing The Witcher - it reflects our forests in quite a detail).

Everyone who contributes to an open project, does that with hope that his work will be useful. But hope is the only thing we can get, as noone is obliged to do his/her part.
If you wish to contribute, then just do the work, and we'll see.
If you wish to play now, then try to find other coders that would help - or just buy a commercial game.