PDA

View Full Version : Voice Actor for Lord of the Land

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 20:40
Hello, I found a very ambitous, talented voice actor for the game. After listening to some of his work I found that he was best fitted for the lord of the land.

I sent him a few pieces of reference for some attempts at the lord of the land.

He gave me two reels

1. More badass
2. More heroic

Attatched is .RAR of sound clips.

I personally think his work is great, What do you guys think?

A New Room
April 14th, 2010, 21:05
I think he is pretty good :eek:

2 questions: Where did you find him and when will we see him on the forums?

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 21:10
GameDev.net

and yes, if he is allowed to be the lord of the land voice actor.

This guy has never played dungeon keeper so yea, He does not know much of the guy except for some reference stuff I gave him.

Which reel do you think is better?

A New Room
April 14th, 2010, 21:14
Both are pretty good, though I would have say the heroic one sounds better.

Well he has got my ok, but we will have to see what the other WFTO Developers and forum members think. :)

Synesthesia
April 14th, 2010, 21:17
These are awesome!

I prefer the first one, it has a grittier feel than the second one and sounds a bit more challenging.

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 21:31
Well, I have asked him to maybe pace the clip a bit faster and put on some effects, like echo and such.

Synesthesia
April 14th, 2010, 21:36
It's ok he doesn't need to add effects at this point. If anything the samples should be kept 'dry' so that we can hear his voice clearly. We can add our own effects later.

A New Room
April 14th, 2010, 21:37
Is he offering to do this for free?

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 21:40
Yes, He is very ambitious and seems to enjoy having the role of a badass knight being sent into dungeons of evil, evil monsters.

A New Room
April 14th, 2010, 21:42
This guy seems almost too good to be true! :eek:

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 21:45
I know right, Hes very professional, 5+ years of experiance i read. His other work i listened to gave me the idea the guy is VERY versitile. Many voices which a nicely exucuted.

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 21:54
It is too good to be true, Sadly he expects pay for his work (A miscomminication) This is hardly unexpected this man is a professional and he doesnt make a living from just doing things like this for free.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. :P

A New Room
April 14th, 2010, 21:59
oh well these things happen. :(

Metal Gear Rex
April 14th, 2010, 22:01
Out of curiousity, how much?

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 22:03
I have no clue. Asking would probally give him the idea that we might pay him, when for a fact I think we all couldn't afford it.

Rosko
April 14th, 2010, 22:07
Why don't you ask me you might be pleasantly surprised :cool:

A New Room
April 14th, 2010, 22:09
We might... That certainly gave me quite a shock!

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 22:09
Meet the voice actor, How much do you cost?

Rosko
April 14th, 2010, 22:22
Kyle left me the link and since it was all about me I thought I would simply barge in and join the party. I hope you don't mind, I will of course delete my membership should you choose not to use me for anything - unless of course this giant download ever finishes and I become an addict to Dungeon Keeper! I thought I would break it all down for you being the team behind it all and then we all know where we're at as I am running an email convo with Kyle and he is passing it all on.
In a nutshell, Kyle rightly points out that I am a professional voice artist and I signed up to GameDev today to peddle my wares as gaming is something I would love to get in to in terms of voice acting so I am indeed ambitious and was thoroughly excited when Kyle approached me and we got chatting and he mentioned the characters he was looking to fill - the slight miscommunication was I was thinking "great, getting paid to voice the kind of shit I absolutely love!"
However, this may not be dead in the water, Dungeon Keeper is your baby and you are all passionate about getting it underway, I however am not, I only just heard about the game, and I do voice projects for a fee, I think you'd be hard pushed to find voice artists who would be game to do it for shits and giggles as its their living. But I was thinking, perhaps we could negotiate something. I work by the hour and can record an awful lot in an hour and if I do it cheap now, perhaps you'll use me in the future when you all blow up?! What do you think? Presumably this will make a profit eventually? I could voice many more than one character and probably nail alot of the sound bytes in couple of hours..?

Rosko
April 14th, 2010, 22:25
We might... That certainly gave me quite a shock!

Haha! Hope you don't mind!

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 22:27
we will never intend to sell our product or make any form of profit. You see all of us on that forum are all dungeon keeper enthusiasts. The concept artist and modeler, everyone. I don't believe you are an enthusiast so i would never expect you give your services free.

We have no budget so are probally unable to pay you.

Rosko
April 14th, 2010, 22:28
Incidentally, to hear the reel that prompted Kyle to ask for the Lord of the Land reel and hear other characters go here (http://www.wix.com/daizree/day3) and click on the "audio and voiceover" Cheers

A New Room
April 14th, 2010, 22:33
The problem is that this is, as has probably been stated, a fan project. We don't really have the permission to sell it, so there is no plan too.

I'm sorry if we have wasted your time :/

Rosko
April 14th, 2010, 22:35
Okay then, good luck with it all!

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 22:36
Thanks, Good luck getting into a game voice acting.

Rosko
April 14th, 2010, 22:39
Well it does seem like a real shame and while i'll forgive you for wasting my afternoon and evening Kyle :p I would like to leave you with those reels - please do use them if you see fit. And drop me line if you have the odd line you'd like me to do - I can't spend ages on them but it would be nice to feature! It's refreshing to see a bunch of enthusiasts working for the love!

Monsterbaby
April 14th, 2010, 22:55
This is really nice stuff. And I can imagine it would go even cooler and better with a bit of effects on top.

What of course is another issue is the price. I believe the voices won't take too long to make, however of course the cost means a lot in this project, since there's absolutely nothing to gain from anywhere. And who would pay, if it would be nessicary.

However, not to ruin or troll this material, because it is really good. But there are many great voice actors outthere, and I was thinking of perhaps asking permission to use the soundstudio at the workshop, and find some of the british animators, to do a bit of voice acting, if needed. I can atleast try find out something which perhaps is free.
I also know the place here, has connections to voice actors, and most of them do free voices for the bachelor movies and games being created here. Because these movies aren't ment to bring profit. Neither is this game. So I can try find out if the Open Workshop (the department I am in) can either sponsor a voice actor or find one. Worth a try.

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 22:55
Rosko I would like to thank you for allowing us to use the reels and to even offer doing the odd line. This is brilliant news. Sorry for wasting your afternoon and thanks once more.

You should still try dungeon keeper, you might like it.

Monsterbaby
April 14th, 2010, 23:01
The sound and especially the voicing, is a very tiny part of the game, and is always something we can come back to later on. So I'm sure we will keep you and your voice acting in mind, if we do not find a solution.

Tomorrow I will ask the head of the department how it works and if he can help me out. ( I told him about the game when I applied to get a workspace here :P and he was very interested)

It would be nice to know though, if we should get the voices straight away, if we find someone cheap and good, or wait untill parts of the game has been made? - Afterall, people come and go around here. So I'm not sure what strategy we should go for when it comes to the voice acting.

Rosko
April 14th, 2010, 23:02
I intend too. And stay in touch, I will happily record for you but I just can't spend hours on it...
(and I was just messing about the wasting my time - I enjoyed creating the character and will add the Lord of the Land to my reportoire) ;)

MaxHayman
April 14th, 2010, 23:04
Nice voicework, i perfer the first one...is he giving us this stuff for free? (the ones posted)

Monsterbaby
April 14th, 2010, 23:05
Voice acting is your buisness I see the reason why you can't spend too much time on this project. Afterall the no-life people doing this game in spare time and for free, has a true obsession of this game. (otherwise I wouldn't believe it would be possible)

kyle
April 14th, 2010, 23:08
Yea for free :)

A New Room
April 14th, 2010, 23:12
We will keep you in mind. :)

Also please do give Dungeon Keeper a try!

QwentyJ
April 14th, 2010, 23:25
I intend too. And stay in touch, I will happily record for you but I just can't spend hours on it...
(and I was just messing about the wasting my time - I enjoyed creating the character and will add the Lord of the Land to my reportoire) ;)

Thanks Rosko! I appreviate a man has to make dem monies dese days, but unless we become a highly successful development team in our own right or manage to acquire a paying benefactor, there's little we can do. I have to say though, that on the behalf of the KK community, thank you for being generous enough to give us the access to the soundbytes for the LotL!

Rosko
April 15th, 2010, 00:02
No problem guys. I have just messaged Kyle and said that all I ask is that if you use what I have done and should I do any future recordings that I get a mention in the credits and that I am kept informed - would love to see the voices and characters married up in any videos etc... If any of you are on Twitter my addy is www.twitter.com/roskolewis (http://www.twitter.com/roskolewis) so follow me and i'll follow you and all that and we'll stay in touch. Again all the best with it all - you lot are a bloody clever bunch and my download of the original game has just finished so let's see if I get pulled in!

MaxHayman
April 15th, 2010, 01:28
Love the sounds :D ill twitter you.

kyle
April 15th, 2010, 02:22
Well, I have been hunting around at the moment and found someonewo might be able to do music when we need it later on (He is currently busy) his webste:
www.AnthonyCasalena.ca Truely fantastic! :D

EDIT: He does not expect pay. He knows this project will not be making any money.

A New Room
April 15th, 2010, 02:29
We will have to get that far then. So that we may make use of his service! :D

kyle
April 15th, 2010, 02:31
I am confident we will.

Monsterbaby
April 15th, 2010, 08:48
Well, I have been hunting around at the moment and found someonewo might be able to do music when we need it later on (He is currently busy) his webste:
www.AnthonyCasalena.ca Truely fantastic! :D

EDIT: He does not expect pay. He knows this project will not be making any money.

I've been listening to the stuff on his page. And it is freaking awesome! And it would be really cool if he does it for free. :o Very impressive.

Rosko
April 15th, 2010, 08:58
Perhaps I can offer some help here. I produce audio adventures for kids called
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TQGOhB1nTk that feature loads of effects and music - download for your kids in the car and bedtimes ;) When I started doing them I had nooo budget whatsoever and I certainly couldn't pay a composer. I stumbled across this chap online (http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/) who insists anyone can use his music commercially or non commercially and from my experience a load of his music is perfect for the game. All he asks is that he gets credited in the credits. Check him out he has pages of cinematic and orchestral music all categorised into searchable categories like "horror" "tense" "heroic" "dramatic" etc all free to use. :)

kyle
April 15th, 2010, 10:19
That stuff is pretty good, Altough Dungeon keepers music was great and I feel if anything we need to try get something close to that. If not we could always use that =)

Hows dungeon keeper coming along?

Rosko
April 15th, 2010, 10:33
Errm , how can I say this, it didn't work :( I downloaded it got through a couple of screens andf then clicked on some icon and the whole game would close. So not very far...

kyle
April 15th, 2010, 10:37
Did you check the readme?

MaxHayman
April 15th, 2010, 11:06
The original DK 2 guy http://www.gamesounds.co.uk/

he made this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVGCbBjklQI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVGCbBjklQI

Monsterbaby
April 15th, 2010, 13:48
Okay I had a dialogue with the people at the Deparment, and you cannot believe how interested they are in this project. They are in fact willing to financial support the voice actor if needed!

ANYWAY! - Not to be a bitch or anything, I turned the offer down for now. Because we ARE still doing a "copy" of EA's game. So thinking about the fact, we hire someone for money, to do copy of the voices could bring us in trouble. Unless we recieve green light from EA, to hire a voice actor. The voice actor, will then on paper be hired by "The Open Workshop at The Animation Workshop (Denmark)"

I also spoke about other possibilities.Currently theres an American actor at the school, and 5 british animators (Animators are in fact actors, just more crazy than normal actors) - they could do the voice acting free. I have been given green light to use the Sound Department for the recording :P

So far, it would help a lot if I had the entire script, to show the guys around here. Also,they asked me for the adress of our community, just to take a closer look on whats going on. (I know this sounds totally insaine, but they are really into this project)

One of the supervicors here, also asked about funding and sponsorships, and if we have spoken with EA about recieving funding and permission to do this game - to show some people are actually engaged to do this. I know EA is a nutcrack and told them, if it had been any other company we would be dealing with, this would perhaps have been a lot easier. But since the deparment here, has contacts with pretty much all the biggest entertainment buisness in the world. Then if we could get this department to morally support the project, perhaps EA would realize, this is in fact not "just" an online community we are dealing with, but there's a department supporting us as well. (Evenjust it is just me, at the department working on this) Atleast the people here are thrilled about this, and keeps asking "why not this? why not that?"

But perhaps this sounds like it has gone totally off the ground into the skies. I don't know. All I know is, I can get a lot of help of the deparment, and I don't know if we should recieve it or not.

Atleast I asked xD

kyle
April 15th, 2010, 13:52
You have done a brilliant deed in asking and that response is great. You are right though, we should wait for EA to respond before we go about paying anybody.

Well done monsterbaby :)

Monsterbaby
April 15th, 2010, 13:55
Since there's the soundstudio here, and theres actors dropping by once in a while, we COULD do it the free way, and avoid complications.

I am just thinking how we can use the help, I can recieve from the department. And where the hell EA is in all this. I have no idea. I can try ask if they have contact information on EA....I know there's a couple of teachers here whos worked on EA. If they currently are in the building, or doing freelance. No clue. But I can find out.

A New Room
April 15th, 2010, 14:25
The problem is we don't have a script, since a lot of the lines depend on what is and isn't in the game.

This is just a thought but you could get together various other sounds like screams and such :p

Monsterbaby
April 15th, 2010, 14:36
The people around here are incredibly crazy, and aren't afraid of acting like wierd animals and whatever. Also a lot of people around here knows and loves dungeon keeper (They were totally thrilled about my costume, when I came dressed up as Horny Reaper at the costume party last year) , so I'm sure they would like to help.

It would be fairly easy to get a lot of voices and sounds done here, since I already got permission to use the sound studio.

Eventhough the script is not done, I can use what currently is available, and find a voice actor, who will stay in touch, so lines always can be added or edited. Afterall the spot I have at the department is limited. Currently I have a contract to be here for the next year. So we can use their services for a year.

A New Room
April 15th, 2010, 14:43
Ah I see, well you could get some of the team involved in the writing part together and write a test script. Just like five or six lines for each character.

Patrician
April 15th, 2010, 15:50
Surely it is too early to be getting voice actors when we should be concerned about the complete lack of programmers?

kyle
April 15th, 2010, 16:17
And i can't get programmers without EA giving us permission to make the game.

A New Room
April 15th, 2010, 16:18
It is, but it is always nice to know of a few who are willing to help when the time comes. But that is just my opinion.

As kyle has said we don't really know any way of recruiting them without proof that EA are not going to sue us. Programming I imagine is very time consuming, and the last thing anyone wants is to be told it was all a waste.

Patrician
April 15th, 2010, 17:15
As kyle has said we don't really know any way of recruiting them without proof that EA are not going to sue us.
I would imagine the same could be said of voice actors?

kyle
April 15th, 2010, 17:22
No the problem is, When i recruit people I do so on certian forums. While voice actors and such generally come easy and don't require me to make a post (I can just PM them). The same does not apply for programmers, They are the least likeley to offer themselves outright and you generally have to have a good project to interest them. I cannot however make a thread to try gain some programmers as the moderators don't like the fact we don't have permission to make this game from EA, therefore, No programmers...

So I guess we will have to get EA's permission in order to get programmer skill.

dotted
April 15th, 2010, 18:53
Surely it is too early to be getting voice actors when we should be concerned about the complete lack of programmers?

No, even though current work would probably end up being scrapped, but it would be great PR value.

QwentyJ
April 15th, 2010, 19:57

Well, we've got an okay amount, plus another one coming in soon upon recommendation. You can never turn down more though.

Monsterbaby
April 16th, 2010, 09:04
So far, I only have acess to the Open Workshop department and the sound studio for a year ahead. I agree with dotted. It is great value, also it is great to actually have something done. The sooner we get started on the voices, the better they might be.

If / when I get a script, I can try recruite some animators and actors from the school, and make them do sound tests, and so on and so fort. I know a bunch of them is interested in Dungeon Keeper. Last night, I saw some of the Graphic Artists, had hung up a big print of the DK1 Map, saying "Your Mom Lives here!" at an animators workspace...

The sooner we do this, and the more we get done, the more help, I/we can get from the department, if you guys don't mind it helping.