PDA

View Full Version : Here's an offer...

Madkill
April 15th, 2010, 00:41
Could I take on project-lead NBKE? No one else mind if I do? Considering Dotted has given up on NBKE and focused on whatever it is he's focused on I still have an enthusiasm for NBK(E) and I reckon I could make a pretty damn good project lead for in order to get an improved demo.

There is already a lot to Dungeon Keeper 1 so there doesn't need to be much of a debate or discussion of what to do and as far as changing what was once wrong goes, I'm fairly sure the KeeperFX team might be happy to lend hand in the balance department, overall it'd be collaborating a newly scripted engine which supports a less argumentative compatibility with their original ideas.

My demands if I am able to obtain Project-lead are simple! Don't interfere when it starts gain a decent amount of progress. Seriously. It just selfish. ""Any other demands?" Not at all.

And yes, I am being serious here. I get around a lot so know of a fairly decent amount of people, it'd also allow Mistah Bluto to see his work in action, before he and everyone else here turns grey anyway.

kyle
April 15th, 2010, 00:46
NBKE is already being worked on, by Ballwinkle and nebster.

natchoguy
April 15th, 2010, 01:00
yeah but how are you going to help the project itself? most of us can make good decisions

A New Room
April 15th, 2010, 01:18
I might be understanding this incorrectly but basically all you have said is that you want to be named "Project Lead" and left alone... ',:/

I gather something like you are going to get a new team together and use a different engine? Essentially you just want the name "NBKe"? Surely it is its own project if you have gotten to that point?

MaxHayman
April 15th, 2010, 01:32
Intresting, we need a step forwards.

natchoguy
April 15th, 2010, 02:05
a step to accepting Madkill? or what?

Madkill
April 15th, 2010, 03:31
Essentially, I'll find out who is or has been involved and also find out where current progress has gotten to, specifically in the core areas of the project, and organise it from there. After that it is only a matter of time.

Hapuga
April 15th, 2010, 07:58
Knowing what kind of a person you are, giving you some kind of a lead would be very risky.

In addition, I see no objective reasons why you should actually "lead" something. I seriously doubt that you can lead any better than any other random guy on the forums.

Metal Gear Rex
April 15th, 2010, 08:02
Knowing what kind of a person you are, giving you some kind of a lead would be very risky.

In addition, I see no objective reasons why you should actually "lead" something. I seriously doubt that you can lead any better than any other random guy on the forums.

Like me! :D

dotted
April 15th, 2010, 09:20
Could I take on project-lead NBKE? No one else mind if I do? Considering Dotted has given up on NBKE and focused on whatever it is he's focused on
I have never been the project lead for NBKE and I've had nothing to do with NBKE at all other than it's source code for use in WFTO. IKSLM is the guy you need to talk to, seeing as NBKE is his project.

Patrician
April 15th, 2010, 11:30
NBKE is open source. That means that any Tom, Dick or Harry can do with it what they want. There's no stopping you, Madkill, or anyone else for that matter from continuing where IKSLM left off.

However, it's not like you have much programming experience like IKSLM, Nebster or Mefistotelis, so one wonders what you could actually give to NBKE, especially seeing as you've literally just said that there aren't any decisions to be made about the direction the project takes.

I'm therefore guessing the main reason you want the title "Project Lead" is to give yourself an ego boost, a sense of importance. If I'm wrong about that then fair play, I wish you the best of luck continuing IKSLM's legacy.

Madkill
April 15th, 2010, 13:53
Knowing what kind of a person you are

You can't be serious with that statement.

Thanks Pat.

natchoguy
April 15th, 2010, 19:34
I agree with Hapuga, it is risky

Chr!x
April 16th, 2010, 08:08
NBKE is open source. (...) There's no stopping you, Madkill, or anyone else for that matter from continuing where IKSLM left off.

May I give my feeling ? :rolleyes:

Legally, you can make a fork project, being team-leader, and you anything you want. But your new-project must be attractive for not staying alone.

IMO, team-leader must be : charismatic, visionary, inclusive, consensual and open-minded. Must a coder. Coders, gfx & sfx artists are imps :) Team-leader is like "Evil hand" :D

zaikantos
April 17th, 2010, 15:26
More like Horny/ed-reaper IMO.

nebster
April 17th, 2010, 16:54
I'm happy with how it is. Me and others just work on it when we have time. Only if we were working on it constantly for a long period of time would it be worth having a project leader. Even then it would be someone who is more involved in the project like a coder or modeller. All the leader would do is call meetings every so often as we want EVERYONE to have a say in what happens to the engine

Sorry Madkill, we just don't need you :P

Madkill
April 17th, 2010, 20:06
Organization is key and it'd be nice for there to be someone to keep people more posted on what's going on.

And I'm not just talking about people on this forum.

Hapuga
April 17th, 2010, 20:12
look whos talking about organization :D

Patrician
April 17th, 2010, 23:37
Yeah totally agree with Chr!x and nebster here.

natchoguy
April 18th, 2010, 00:13
NBKE hasn't had any problems and there is no point for more project-leaders

Mothrayas
April 18th, 2010, 09:30
NBKE hasn't had any problems and there is no point for more project-leaders

Does 'it's pretty much dead' not count as a problem now?

MaxHayman
April 18th, 2010, 17:45
Erm, what are you on about?

http://code.google.com/p/wfto/source/list

Mothrayas
April 18th, 2010, 17:53
That's WftO. This is NBKE we're talking about.

MaxHayman
April 18th, 2010, 18:26
That is nbke, there's nothing there that relates to wfto besides the name.

Madkill
April 18th, 2010, 19:01
As far as NBKE goes, any information (so far all I've gained is from dotted) has been contradictory or completely irrelevant, it was his input which lead me to believe that he may have been leading NBKE since its supposedly using the same engine as WFTO.

There's many things to be explained about NBKE's current progress, an explanation on its progress would be useful. Anyone but dotted, do attempt.

dotted
April 19th, 2010, 08:39
As far as NBKE goes, any information (so far all I've gained is from dotted) has been contradictory or completely irrelevant, it was his input which lead me to believe that he may have been leading NBKE since its supposedly using the same engine as WFTO.
Syn managed to get the source code of NBKE, since NBKE already had the basics down for the game it made sense to use it. No one but IKSLM has been in charge of NBKE, i have never said i was leading NBKE or even hinted at it.

Just because we were to use Unreal Engine 3, hardly makes me the lead the UE3 development team.

There's many things to be explained about NBKE's current progress, an explanation on its progress would be useful. Anyone but dotted, do attempt.
Yes there are many things, but the plain fact is that IKSLM basicly is AWOL.

But as stated current WFTO source is still NBKE, there is no WFTO code in it yet, and as it is GPL licensed you are free to fork the code and create your own project with that code. But if you want to take over NBKE itself, I'm afraid you will have to talk to IKSLM, but I don't see a reason for you to do that when you have access to WFTO code.

Madkill
April 21st, 2010, 23:33
Anyone?

kyle
April 21st, 2010, 23:39
Dead?

That's the way it would appear anyway.

Metal Gear Rex
April 21st, 2010, 23:39
Anyone?

No. Hidden words so my post ain't a waste.

kyle
April 21st, 2010, 23:41
I Really don't see the problem, NBKE is dead anyway and if somebody says the can manage it in such, why not let them. I don't see how it will effect us anyway, especially not in a negative way.

Metal Gear Rex
April 21st, 2010, 23:48

I'm happy with how it is. Me and others just work on it when we have time. Only if we were working on it constantly for a long period of time would it be worth having a project leader. Even then it would be someone who is more involved in the project like a coder or modeller. All the leader would do is call meetings every so often as we want EVERYONE to have a say in what happens to the engine

Sorry Madkill, we just don't need you :P

lol, boom.

Also I find it kind of odd that this happens specifically after a ban...

A New Room
April 22nd, 2010, 00:25
To sand it down to a stub here:

The engine is being worked on, but not by IKSLM (whatever reason it is probably a good one).

Other people (Ballwinkle and nebster. Far as I can see) are working on it when they feel like it.

I don't think anyone working in their free time really wants to be repetitively asked to do more than they want to.

NBKe, as you are well aware is a remake of the first Dungeon Keeper. So what is there to lead? (in laymen's terms: Just needs a working engine and gameplay, some models and it should be ok.)

What it kind of looks like you are asking is that you be given a ring side seat, without really showing much knowledge of the game being played. Also from your first post you said "Don't interfere when it starts gaining a decent amount of progress", which look like you are saying "I'm going to take the project away and you guys can't touch it any more".

As far as I see there is nothing stopping you from helping this project along, Ie if you know some people who say they can help, then why not tell them where to go?.

But this is just how I see it and I'm still relativity new here...

natchoguy
April 22nd, 2010, 00:48
I agree with A New Room, I expect that to happen in this situation. That's why me and Hapuga think that it's risky. also, NBKe is not dead, Bluto came back (but will be gone for some periods) and engine slowly being worked on. these are the only two things needed so that it was succesfull.

dotted
April 22nd, 2010, 08:15
I Really don't see the problem, NBKE is dead anyway and if somebody says the can manage it in such, why not let them. I don't see how it will effect us anyway, especially not in a negative way.

The problem is non of us has the authority to give Madkill NBKE. But we have already suggested him he can fork the current WFTO code which is at the end of the day still NBKE. He can fork it and then create a new seperate project, and call it something else.

If Madkill asks IKSLM if he can take over, and IKSLM agrees then that is something else, but none of us can.

Madkill
April 22nd, 2010, 18:29
Any attempt of 'taking NBKe away' would be incredibly foolish and just really stupid. Foolish too.

Anyway, I've proposed my offer.

dotted
April 22nd, 2010, 19:46
Any attempt of 'taking NBKe away' would be incredibly foolish and just really stupid. Foolish too.

We have the same authority to give you NBKE as we have making you the CEO of EA.

The only things you can do are the following:

Contact IKSLM for permission to take over NBKE
Fork the current WFTO code

We cannot give you the lead title of NBKE because we have nothing to do with NBKE. Is it really that hard to understand?

Madkill
April 22nd, 2010, 20:42
I don't understand where you're coming from or what you're getting at with that post, as in why you're repeating what's already been said. Your actions make no sense, it'd probably be wise to just settle down and stop talking.

Metal Gear Rex
April 22nd, 2010, 20:50

That's not the only thing foolish going on... but you said foolish twice as if it were a whole new meaning added on.

We're not the creators of NBKE, ISKM is, so you need to contact him about it.

What you're doing is basically asking the head of Capcom to become an employee at EA. (That was a simile, I thought I had to make it clear for you... :P)

It needs to repeated because it is the answer to your question, but your repeating the question so you're getting a repeating answer.

Mothrayas
April 22nd, 2010, 20:52
I don't understand where you're coming from or what you're getting at with that post, as in why you're repeating what's already been said.

Because you seemingly can't comprehend what he's saying.

Madkill
April 22nd, 2010, 23:20
I don't see how inquiring about the progress of NBKe was repeating the same question as "I can take overz fer u guiz?" after I've been told already that such a decision is up to IKSLM.
What you've thought I've meant when you say "you seemingly can't comprehend what he's saying." is alien to me.

A New Room
April 23rd, 2010, 00:39
Well that's that then...

Answer that you require may actually just be ones we don't have :/

MaxHayman
May 10th, 2010, 20:45
Wow this post does indeed give you a headache! :confused: