PDA

View Full Version : I know an Animator / Rigger who's interested in WFTO

Monsterbaby
April 19th, 2010, 21:52
A friend of mine is interested in Animating and rigging our 3D models for the game. However he is in bit of doubt (and so am I) what program should be used for the animation/rigging, and how it should be implemented in the engine and the game. I know this is very early on, starting to animate and rig. But so you know, he is really interested in doing it for us. I've already told him, it is a spare time and free project, but it is fine by him.

He has previous been at several fim schools, including Vancouver Film school, taking classes in Maya. And by the sound of it, it seems like his favorite program is Maya.

Anyway, he is around the school for the next couple of months, perhaps more.

http://student.vfs.com/~dca19luciano/

His homepage. Worth checking.

kyle
April 19th, 2010, 22:10
Animations for the imps can be implemented, infact ballwinkle told me once he has animations for the imps he can implament them. So if we can get those, great.

A New Room
April 19th, 2010, 22:41
I remember reading somewhere that the engine only supports either a custom format or Milkshape3D files. I assume that one of the people working on the engine will know.

Edit: Found the thread (http://forum.keeperklan.com/news-update-animation-t473.html?t=473&highlight=animation) I was think of, though it doesn't really go in to too much depth unfortunately.

Monsterbaby
April 19th, 2010, 22:44
It would be nice knowing exactly how it works and what programs can be used, and will be used in the future.

kyle
April 19th, 2010, 23:34
Well according to ballwinkle, They support .br5 and ms3d. As for the program, it won't really matter, as you can convert any format into a supported one.

so a few programs that could be used probally are:

MilkShape
Blender
3DS MAX
Maya 3D

The last two cost money and there is more programs than this.

Monsterbaby
April 19th, 2010, 23:43
Blender and Maya is great news.

He is pro in Maya, so there's no problem. I'll let him know later today, what formats can be used :) Then we can figure out, if he can be part of the team. (I don't mind lol)

kyle
April 20th, 2010, 01:10
The more the merrier.

Remember though, The models will need to be converted once there finish to be able to be used in MS3D

Monsterbaby
April 20th, 2010, 10:50
I'm pretty sure he can convert them too. We should probably also talk with Blutonium, about what he thinks about this.

QwentyJ
April 20th, 2010, 18:53
Bring him aboard.

Monsterbaby
April 20th, 2010, 23:33
Next time I see him, I will tell him he is welcome, and he should make an account on the site.

Blutonium
April 26th, 2010, 12:30
we need the animations in Milkshape3D - so if he can animate in maya and export to milkshape, or animate in milkshape directly, it will be great.

I will be using motion captured animation for some of the models, and have a 3dsmax-to-milkshape exporter ready

it will be a while before all the models are finalized and low-poly ready, to be animated.

but yeah, if his animations look okay he's on board in my books - i'll love it if he can animate some of the models for me (but he has to be semi-good at least)

:)

dotted
April 26th, 2010, 13:10
I will be using motion captured animation
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YJtJVrH3c5k/SYtH_wQR-jI/AAAAAAAABKc/jLmqqNB5AFo/s400/jawdrop.jpg

Hapuga
April 26th, 2010, 14:00
^ that comment.

Monsterbaby
April 26th, 2010, 16:01
we need the animations in Milkshape3D - so if he can animate in maya and export to milkshape, or animate in milkshape directly, it will be great.

I will be using motion captured animation for some of the models, and have a 3dsmax-to-milkshape exporter ready

it will be a while before all the models are finalized and low-poly ready, to be animated.

but yeah, if his animations look okay he's on board in my books - i'll love it if he can animate some of the models for me (but he has to be semi-good at least)

:)

Hi Nice to see you again blutonium!

He is a very good animator as far as I know. He has been taking courses at many different schools, and currently he is at the one where I'm at. This is probably the closest we get to a professional Animator. Anyway, the best thing is, that he is interested in our project, and that means the most.
I'll tell him, next time I see him.

About the motion capture. Will you be using a digi suit for it, or just camera capture? We did quite some motion capture at university, both with heavy gear and sometimes we just used the help from a laptop webcam. That why I'm a bit curious of knowing how "big" this is going to be. I could imagine, that in a trailer motion capture would be a real treat!

But I can't wait to see your models come to life!

Monsterbaby
April 26th, 2010, 19:02
I told him what's been said in this thread, and here's what he said:

"tell them that ill put together an animation reel by the end of next week, and sendit through you and if they still want me well figure out the way to work through maya or directly in milkshape... i dont know if there is a mac version, that would be good if not well see "

Blutonium
April 29th, 2010, 12:17
lol, about the mocap, no, i don't haver a suit lol - those things are a bit pricey hehe

BUT i do have a library of 1000's of mocap files - I can use a LOT of those trust me! :) :)

As for the other guy, tell him:
1) He can use milkshape - not sure if it's on mac but there is a way to run win apps on an apple (don't have one, but you can emulate them)
2) or he could use my models in maya, and export to milkshape - tell him to look for a plugin / exporter
3) or he could use 3ds max - i will set up the rigs he just needs to keyframe them - i'm sure he could figure out the basics fast as maya is similar with keyframing (basically)

Monsterbaby
April 30th, 2010, 13:21
I'll tell him =)