PDA

View Full Version : Any more workarounds for Windows 7?

KayTee
April 25th, 2010, 13:53
Hi everyone. I've been trawling the internet but I can't seem to find a solution beyond the suggestion here (http://forum.keeperklan.com/please-read-that-topic-before-posting-t654.html) about partitioning the hard drive, which I'm not savvy enough to do. All of the troubleshooting I've seen is for crashes, which mine isn't doing.

My game won't run at all. It's a single disc version and it installs and patches fine, but will not load in the slightest, all the happens is my CD drive makes noises for about 10 seconds then nothing. I've seen a couple of things about running in a compatability mode and 640x480 resolution, and with that my desktop just turns 640x480 for 30 seconds then goes back to normal. Is there anything I can do, or should I write the game off or dig out my old XP laptop?

(For the record, I've got an Acer Aspire with Windows 7 and an intel i5 processor)

dotted
April 25th, 2010, 14:10
Tried the 1.73 patch?`http://forum.keeperklan.com/showpost.php?p=1714&postcount=38

KayTee
April 25th, 2010, 14:40
I was a little apprehensive about after after skimming the 6 pages of problems with it, but I'm downloading it now - at 4 kb/s. This might take a little while.

EDIT: Same problem, I'm afraid. And the DVD drive's making scary clunks and highpitched whines that I haven't heard it make before. That's probably not good...

Madkill
April 25th, 2010, 15:45
DVD drive is f*cked if its making that noise, what condition is the CD in? If its poor and has cracks then I suggest that you stop using it.

I'm pretty sure that the 1.73'exe doesn't require you to use a CD anyway...

KayTee
April 25th, 2010, 16:10
Brand new CD, 2 week old computer. But when I tried to start without the disc I noticed a 'SafeCD' warning telling me I needed it. I'll investigate that in the morning.

dotted
April 25th, 2010, 19:46
Brand new CD, 2 week old computer. But when I tried to start without the disc I noticed a 'SafeCD' warning telling me I needed it. I'll investigate that in the morning.

Not if you installed patch 1.73

KayTee
April 26th, 2010, 02:06
Ahhh, I see what I was doing wrong, extracting the patch files into their own folder within the game but not replacing the original files. Okay, I got into the menu and now I look forward to experiencing all the crashes like the other beginners. And a nostalgia trip, I used to play the first game when I was about 8. I'll still keep the XP laptop on standby just in case. Thank you!

dotted
April 26th, 2010, 08:34
Ahhh, I see what I was doing wrong, extracting the patch files into their own folder within the game but not replacing the original files. Okay, I got into the menu and now I look forward to experiencing all the crashes like the other beginners. And a nostalgia trip, I used to play the first game when I was about 8. I'll still keep the XP laptop on standby just in case. Thank you!

No problem

darkbytes
May 26th, 2010, 19:15
Well, i was not able to get stable gameplay with win7/vista. on win7, it only runs with software mode what seems to be not stable. on viste, on one machine it works with hardware, on the other not.

on the vista machine i got it to work, game also crashes reproduceable at saving and loading games.

after getting sick of it, i now run dk2 on linux. i have created a howto where you cann install ubuntu without repartitioning and risk, also with win7.

now saving and loading is fine, no crashes so far except of quitting the game. played some hours today.

http://forum.keeperklan.com/sick-crashesi-dungeon-keeper-multiplayer-linux-t1050.html