PDA

View Full Version : Dropping Creatures Poll

Sire
May 3rd, 2010, 22:32
How should Creatures be dropped? Poll closes in two weeks.

NOTICE: All results are not final, but are used to see about public opinion. Just because the polls reflect a side does not mean the developers will use it. In the end, the developers have the final say.

DK I:

Max limit of 8 creatures in hand at once, no stun.

DK II:

No limit of creatures in hand, dropped creatures receive stun.

DK I and II

Max limit on creatures, dropped creatures receive stun

Hapuga
May 3rd, 2010, 22:49
stun is logical.

Mothrayas
May 3rd, 2010, 22:51
stun is logical.

Realistically, it is.

Gameplay-wise, it isn't and it is stupid.

Hapuga
May 3rd, 2010, 23:06
it is not stupid.

MeinCookie
May 4th, 2010, 01:03
I like the hand limit, but would it be possible to have it somewhat larger... it can make collecting loose gold a hassle :confused:

Metal Gear Rex
May 4th, 2010, 01:23
I like the hand limit, but would it be possible to have it somewhat larger... it can make collecting loose gold a hassle :confused:

I agree there. Perhaps a limit of 8 Creatures, but no limit (Or a high limit) on things. The limit in DK2 is 64, so purhaps Creatures take up "8" Hand Room and Things take up "1"?

Realistically, it is.

Gameplay-wise, it isn't and it is stupid.

I somewhat agree with Mothrayas, but not fully.

I don't fully because I don't think it was realistic at all for a Goblin to be going down, prepared to land on his feet, and then mid air just flop on his back like an idiot.

It also put Bile Demons to shame.

I've learned that in DK2, it is too much of a hastle to prepare a strategy of creature positions with a stun. Yet in DK1, I've learned that some creatures without a stun become too powerful (Dark Mistress with Lightning, Warlocks especially with Meteor/Fire Bomb)

There should be a stun on certain units, such as support units. Obviously support units won't have the same physical condition as melee creatures, so purhaps they can't land as easily.

The stun also made Possession far more powerful and was a true weakness for computers.

Stun on support units allows Melee to stand quickly and fight, while the support are well defended to get up from the stun. It also works effectively to eliminate the cheap strategy of some creatures which you could previously, as in DK1, drop and let them deal their worst, then pick them up until their spells recharge and not allowing them to take damage.

MeinCookie
May 4th, 2010, 01:33
Fact is... Bile Demons shouldn't get stun. They are fat deadweight globs. How can they not land on their feet?

Metal Gear Rex
May 4th, 2010, 01:50
Fact is... Bile Demons shouldn't get stun. They are fat deadweight globs. How can they not land on their feet?

Hah! That's right!

Hmm... I need to make a "Bile Demon Quits Dungeon Keeper" video, based on this very subject.

Either way, I'm not voting as all options have flaws and exploits that are already known.

natchoguy
May 4th, 2010, 02:09
stun should be on some and with a bigger limit

Blue Eagle
May 7th, 2010, 23:49
No vote exactly...
It depends on other aspects of the game, like the strengths and likelihood of obtaining certain creatures and how certain creatures can be used, with that I'd say to keep a small limit on the number of creatures that can be held (like 8, 12 or 16) and have a large limit on gold and other non-creature items.
Alternatively we could complicate it by rating each creature for example a level 2 Imp is worth 24 while a level 8 Orc is worth 228 (estimated numbers to explain the idea) with that the player can hold so much worth in his hand at once, then we have the question of whether non-creature items also have a worth or just a limit of number.
There is also the question of how items are dropped, last in first out or something else?

dotted
May 8th, 2010, 00:41
No vote exactly...
It depends on other aspects of the game, like the strengths and likelihood of obtaining certain creatures and how certain creatures can be used, with that I'd say to keep a small limit on the number of creatures that can be held (like 8, 12 or 16) and have a large limit on gold and other non-creature items.
Alternatively we could complicate it by rating each creature for example a level 2 Imp is worth 24 while a level 8 Orc is worth 228 (estimated numbers to explain the idea) with that the player can hold so much worth in his hand at once, then we have the question of whether non-creature items also have a worth or just a limit of number.
There is also the question of how items are dropped, last in first out or something else?

It's gonna get too complicated, stick to a fixed amount of creatures and unlimited non-creatures i like that.

Metal Gear Rex
May 8th, 2010, 01:32
It's gonna get too complicated, stick to a fixed amount of creatures and unlimited non-creatures i like that.

Maybe not unlimited, perhaps like just 1/64 for things, and creatures have 8/64 instead. It's not complicated much really, just 2 sepperate things.

Skaruts
May 21st, 2010, 06:24
Aaaw poll closed...
I'd vote for DK1 - limit, no stun.

But I'd consider it wiser to get a balanced place between both. Limiting and stuning logicaly.
What I mean is you could take into account the creature's constitution and size to limit hand capacity, pretty much as someone already mentioned here.
So it could be something like this, just a rough sketch:
(I consider this pretty bad, but just to illustrate it)

Hand slots - 32
Size/constitution = hand slots taken
Min constitution for no stun - 14
Min contitution for low stun - 10
Min constitution for stun = 6

Creature | Size/Constitution

Horned Reaper 16
Bile Demon 16
Mistress 6
Troll 10
Warlock 8
Skeleton 6
Fly 4
imp 2

The min constitution for stun works as a precaution for incoherences like making flies get stunned. They fly, so it makes no sense that they get stunned for "not hitting the floor", and imps and beatles are very light creatures that wouldn't get a heavy fall to stun them. Bigger creatures like the reaper and bile demon are too strong to be stunned by an insignificant fall.
Maybe creatures could be separated into 3 or 4 categories of size, so that it would be more organized.

For things like gold and chickens I think 1 or 2 slots would be fine.

Anyway this is just a thougth I had, I just registered when I saw this thread. I'd love to see this project go all the way up. :horny:

Zhampir
May 22nd, 2010, 03:12
I'd think it'd be nice for all picked up gold to take up the same slot. Since it doesn't matter how large the pile is... just how many piles.

MeinCookie
May 22nd, 2010, 03:52
I agree.