Thread: What Is Dungeon Keeper FX?

Default What Is Dungeon Keeper FX?

G'day guys,
    I'm a big fan of DK, but have found it unreliable on modern PCs, especially in multiplayer. I'm considering trying Dungeon Keeper FX, but the only information I can find is that it is a modified version of DK. Modified in what way? What changes have been made to the game?

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: What Is Dungeon Keeper FX?

Well, it has increased modibility, for one. While there were a lot of things vanilla DK1 had that could be changed, if you knew your way around the creature.txt file, FX increases the amount of things that can be changed and makes it easier to do so. You can make Creatures immune to Chicken, for example, which wasn't possible in vanilla. It also has a lot of campaigns made for vanilla DK1 already implemented.

As far as how it's been changed from vanilla, there are a number of things. Last I checked, FX still used an early version of DragonsLover's patch, but it should be moving away from that. I haven't been keeping up with FX news lately so I'm not too sure about that part. There are also things like bug fixes that effect gameplay. For example, Strength is capped at 255 in vanilla and there's a Dexterity bug where the value overflows past 255 and returns to 0. Bug fixes though they might be, they can still have a potentially negative impact on an older map that was designed with these things in mind. Still, I do know that there should be options to disable FX's bug fixes to help simulate the vanilla game better.

This is about the most I can give you without being excessive on particular details, I think. I haven't been keeping up with FX news as much lately as mentioned, so it might be better for someone else to come in to fill in for any information I missed or was incorrect about.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the bug fixes included the multiplayer instability? Another thought, does multiplayer still use IPX or has it been updated to use TCP/IP?

Quote Originally Posted by clawcity View Post
    Thanks for the info. Do you know if the bug fixes included the multiplayer instability? Another thought, does multiplayer still use IPX or has it been updated to use TCP/IP?
    I do not know, I never bothered with multiplayer and don't remember what work has been done on it and what still needed to be done on it.

Tesonu is napping!

Do you know if the bug fixes included the multiplayer instability? Another thought, does multiplayer still use IPX or has it been updated to use TCP/IP?
    Multiplayer is remade to TCP/IP, but highly unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    As far as how it's been changed from vanilla, there are a number of things. Last I checked, FX still used an early version of DragonsLover's patch, but it should be moving away from that. I haven't been keeping up with FX news lately so I'm not too sure about that part. There are also things like bug fixes that effect gameplay. For example, Strength is capped at 255 in vanilla and there's a Dexterity bug where the value overflows past 255 and returns to 0. Bug fixes though they might be, they can still have a potentially negative impact on an older map that was designed with these things in mind. Still, I do know that there should be options to disable FX's bug fixes to help simulate the vanilla game better.
    Although correct, this is focusing a bit on the negative,...
    KeeperFX is a fan attempt of continued support of dungeon keeper: Updating it so it works on modern machines with patches and bugfixes.
    Some changes/fixes might not be to every-bodies liking, but I'd say there are many fundamental improvements to the game. Enemy keepers now know how to support a dungeon, get gold and train their creatures. Workshops are no longer cluttered with traps that can not be placed, and much more. All with an attempt to stay in the original spirit.

Thanks guys, I might give it a try. Unfortunately it looks like I'm doomed never to multiplayer DK again

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Although correct, this is focusing a bit on the negative,...
    KeeperFX is a fan attempt of continued support of dungeon keeper: Updating it so it works on modern machines with patches and bugfixes.
    Some changes/fixes might not be to every-bodies liking, but I'd say there are many fundamental improvements to the game. Enemy keepers now know how to support a dungeon, get gold and train their creatures. Workshops are no longer cluttered with traps that can not be placed, and much more. All with an attempt to stay in the original spirit.
    I forgot about the recent work being done on Keeper AI, actually. Though I figured the updates to allow DK1 to function on modern machines was sort of a given / already known fact by clawcity, just by the way he worded himself.

Tesonu is napping!

the latest version i played of dungeon keeper fx had fairly stable multiplayer but both players need to use the same perspective or else one of them drops. it isnt a priority by the developer though.(is only 1.)

Thanks guys, I might give it a try. Unfortunately it looks like I'm doomed never to multiplayer DK again
    Multiplayer in DK/2 really took a backseat, and justifiably so. They both came out when multiplayer wasn't particularly refined, and frankly the single-player was a more important focus anyway.

That said, War for the Overworld is the closest thing you'll get to DK3 and, although it's unfinished, it will have proper multiplayer support.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/230190/