Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What this is.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Default Re: What this is.

In the beginning i wanted to do NBKE first to have a working game and then later do WFTO. But since KeeperFX has pretty much eliminated a need for NBKE i don't really see the point of doing NBKE. Granted doing NBKE does have it advantages such as it being easier then a new game, and as such we will have a working game faster which in turn means attracting developers. But it also means WFTO will take longer to develop.

As for NBKE being more known than WFTO, thats pretty obvious as there really hasnt been any advertisement done for WFTO. Yes you have posted some models with the WFTO logo, but at the end of the day those models are all DK1 remakes, they are not unique to WFTO itself.

But most importantly what ever we do, i dont think IKSLM has dropped NBKE so it doesnt matter what we do really, NBKE will be out eventually.

Personally i think the interest in NBKE is not because its so much a remake as it is the ability to play DK1 again on our new systems, and that need has been filled by KeeperFX.

Releasing a Dungeon Keeper I Remake such as NBKE, with it being a greater graphical enhancement and something which would work on the latest 32 bit and 64 bit(hopefully) computers with the latest OS' which not only looks better and runs flawlessly it would also be less of a hassle as Keeper FX (And easier to obtain?)

Getting NBKE out; in doing so increases the attention of some more experienced devs and by doing so it would allow WftO progress a lot faster than it probably would now.
    Lets not turn NBKE into a small scale DNF, however WftO should probably be nurtured as DNF was (excluding engine hops). If you want to know what I mean by the DNF comment- This will shape a better understanding.

Gamer IDs

KeeperFX works on 32 and 64-bit systems. KeeperFX supports higher resolutions, but its rather dodgey at the moment, and looking at a similiar project OpenTTD they are actively working on replacing the 8-bit graphics both with 8-bit alternatives so you can play it without having to rely on Transport Tycoon Deluxe, but also 32-bit graphics for the better looks. The same thing could (didnt say will or likely) very well happen with KeeperFX. And the KeeperFX development has been alot more open than NBKE.

As for obtaining the games it will not be any easier to get NBKE rather than KeeperFX. If you dont take in account the filesizes of the download they are equal as its just an archive/installer you download and thats it. And i don't see KeeperFX running any worse than NBKE would.

NBKE and KeeperFX are both remakes. They just have different approaches to development. But their endgame is the very same, atleast thats how i see it. Difference is, we know basicly nothing of NBKE but we can actually download and play KeeperFX right now.

DKI Remake says it all about NBKE and like I said, it would be a good way to use the engine as a tech demo for WftO. See how it copes in a dungeon keeper environment, creature population caps and so on.

If you built the engine, then constructed NBKE to it. You could use NBKE as the foundation and upbringing for WftO, which in-effect, could have several advancements and continue to 'wow' people when WftO is released.

Not only is it a good marketing strategy, it is also a good technical strategy.

Gamer IDs

If we do NBKE we will have 3 remakes.
    NBKE by IKSLM
    NBKE by Keeper Klan
    And KeeperFX

And while yes i used to think they way you do, but the way we are designing the engine is more like a framework so doing NBKE with it would be possible for others to do. And i dont understand what you think is wrong with KeeperFX?

KeeperFX isn't a remake, it's an expansion, hence the name KeeperFX ("Keeper Fan Expansion").

And IKSLM's NBKE is pretty much dead, as far as I know.

The Awakening

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    KeeperFX isn't a remake, it's an expansion, hence the name KeeperFX ("Keeper Fan Expansion").
    But there is still no difference between NBKE and KeeperFX. They both accomplish the same thing.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dotted View Post
    But there is still no difference between NBKE and KeeperFX. They both accomplish the same thing.
    Except for the 3D models. :P
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Aesthetics, and as I pointed out doing 3D would, hypothetically, be possible in KeeperFX aswell.

A more advance engine.
    100% Assurance that it'll work on all of the latest OS' from XP and onwards without hassle.
    Beta testing the WftO engine and its limits/potential.