Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Veteran Version of Official Campaign

Default Re: Veteran Version of Official Campaign

Fresh new overhaul for both levels 1 and 2 are now available to play! Check out the updated description in the original post for more info, located near the bottom. Use the same links to acquire the new levels! (Currently only for version 1.7)

UPDATE: I'm now completely redoing the secret levels and can now play the first secret level! It will be a 5 level campaign mini-series where you fight along with allied keepers and defeat rival keepers!
    Last edited by Crafty; January 14th, 2021 at 23:13.
    My Dungeon Keeper 2 Campaigns

Veteran Campaign
    A New League - Coop Campaign
    The Forgotten One - An Elite Campaign

My Twitch Where I Stream DK2 Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

https://www.twitch.tv/justcrafty

Levels 1-3 have been updated. New additions to first three levels, won't mention what they are, for I do not want to spoil it.

Big changes to level two's difficulty curve, the end game is a lot harder now, is no longer a curb stomp with 15 level 10 goblins.
    The two captains also give better rewards when slain, but they are now harder to kill.

More big changes to level three, the level's early game are easier to deal with and don't become overwhelmed by mid-game. Added additional hero parties for diversity

The first 3 map revisions 2.2 are now live! (Should be the last time these maps are touched.)
    Last edited by Crafty; January 14th, 2021 at 23:20.

Veteran Campaign

I like the complex map design, the increased difficulty and especially the unique dungeon designs but there's a few things I'm less a fan of.

For example, while more difficulty is great it should be fair difficulty. While elite hero parties spawning on the death of key captains is one thing, combined with indestructible hero gates spawning infinite attackers behind your lines and it just gets irritating since you can't move your traps forward and pushing up actually means more squads spawn instead of less. The nature of creature/imp roaming means you'll constantly have to babysit to make sure nobody walking around the middle of your expanded dungeon gets ganked by random hero squads spawning in the middle of your base. If the gates were destructible and the later ones just produced stronger squads you could get a similar level of difficulty without all the irritation.

Also, while the new Keeper dungeons in 11a are huge and expansive it's very weird how they're all allies considering in the original it was a Free For All and half the fun of the map was figuring out when the best time is to jump in on two enemies fighting. So instead it just seems like a bit of a slog as you fight through four comically huge dungeons all directly beside each other. Personally I'd like it more if you rebalanced it so it worked as a free for all.

Also also, I really loved the first bonus level and the idea of maps with allies is neat. However, it seems to randomly crash constantly within the first 10-20 minutes to the point where it's almost unplayable without constant save reloads. I don't have this issue with any other maps so I think there must be a unique issue with this one. Also in the cases where I made it further in before a crash an absurdly huge army of high level heroes came and ate my allies. Is that supposed to happen or is there some trick to saving my allies?

Quote Originally Posted by OneLastBattle View Post
    I like the complex map design, the increased difficulty and especially the unique dungeon designs but there's a few things I'm less a fan of.

For example, while more difficulty is great it should be fair difficulty. While elite hero parties spawning on the death of key captains is one thing, combined with indestructible hero gates spawning infinite attackers behind your lines and it just gets irritating since you can't move your traps forward and pushing up actually means more squads spawn instead of less. The nature of creature/imp roaming means you'll constantly have to babysit to make sure nobody walking around the middle of your expanded dungeon gets ganked by random hero squads spawning in the middle of your base. If the gates were destructible and the later ones just produced stronger squads you could get a similar level of difficulty without all the irritation.
    All reoccurring hero parties (infinite unless you break the portal) will stop spawning once you destroy their portal. The only portals you can't break are the 1 x 3 portals (which you're not supposed to be able to) that way intended 1 time only parties can spawn. Unless you've encountered a level where they do keep spawning after destroying a portal, that is not intended and I will fix it. (let me know which level this happened, if it did)

Also, while the new Keeper dungeons in 11a are huge and expansive it's very weird how they're all allies considering in the original it was a Free For All and half the fun of the map was figuring out when the best time is to jump in on two enemies fighting. So instead it just seems like a bit of a slog as you fight through four comically huge dungeons all directly beside each other. Personally I'd like it more if you rebalanced it so it worked as a free for all.
    Only green and yellow are allied, I believe. Blue and Pink should not be allied with anyone. Thank you for the feedback though! I will definitely consider changing up how the level plays out. I am currently in the process of rebalancing the levels. (again XD)

Also also, I really loved the first bonus level and the idea of maps with allies is neat. However, it seems to randomly crash constantly within the first 10-20 minutes to the point where it's almost unplayable without constant save reloads. I don't have this issue with any other maps so I think there must be a unique issue with this one. Also in the cases where I made it further in before a crash an absurdly huge army of high-level heroes came and ate my allies. Is that supposed to happen or is there some trick to saving my allies?
    Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy the concept. I'll look into it crashing to see if I can identify why that is happening... Can you think of anything specific that happens right before the crash? Like one of your allies dying or killing an enemy keeper or big hero party spawn?

And yes, at least one of your allies is meant to die (blue) due to his dungeon heart being exposed and being weaker in general. (unlike pink) You can save him but it is quite difficult.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback!

Veteran Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    All reoccurring hero parties (infinite unless you break the portal) will stop spawning once you destroy their portal. The only portals you can't break are the 1 x 3 portals (which you're not supposed to be able to) that way intended 1 time only parties can spawn. Unless you've encountered a level where they do keep spawning after destroying a portal, that is not intended and I will fix it. (let me know which level this happened, if it did)
    The most annoying examples I can think of are on level 6b, where there's at least one big hero room that has unclaimable terrain surrounding it, making it effectively indestructible. I think there are a few other examples I might be missing but just check if the same terrain is used elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy the concept. I'll look into it crashing to see if I can identify why that is happening... Can you think of anything specific that happens right before the crash? Like one of your allies dying or killing an enemy keeper or big hero party spawn?
    Sorry I really can't think of anything in particular. Sometimes it happens after a few minutes and I don't even get to the first hero attack, sometimes it takes around twenty minutes. The speed and restarting/loading doesn't seem to make a difference except to possibly delay it slightly. Hopefully you can figure it out

Looking forward to the next maps!

The most annoying examples I can think of are on level 6b, where there's at least one big hero room that has unclaimable terrain surrounding it, making it effectively indestructible. I think there are a few other examples I might be missing but just check if the same terrain is used elsewhere.

Sorry I really can't think of anything in particular. Sometimes it happens after a few minutes and I don't even get to the first hero attack, sometimes it takes around twenty minutes. The speed and restarting/loading doesn't seem to make a difference except to possibly delay it slightly. Hopefully you can figure it out

Looking forward to the next maps!
    Hmm, I checked the map and the hero lair around the portals on 6b are claimable, have you tried claiming them with your imps?

I'll do some testing soon of Secret Level 1 to try and isolate why it is crashing.

Veteran Campaign

I've returned to continue updating the currently released levels (except for levels 1-3, I'm satisfied with these maps) four through twenty + continuing a built-in mini-campaign that uses the secret levels.
    Just finished updating level 4, the overwhelming amount of heroes near the start has been fixed and rebalanced to be realistically beatable.
    Also updated most hero parties increasing their difficulty for better scaling in the late game.

Enjoy the new level 4! I Will be going over level 5 next, and reimagining level 12!

REMINDER: only updating maps for version 1.7 currently, don't forget to use the GIM patch to fix the AI.
    If you patched it correctly, your 1.7 version should read as 1.51 in the bottom right of the main menu.
    Last edited by Crafty; April 27th, 2021 at 06:09.

Veteran Campaign

For some reason level 1 crashes when playing with the 1.51 version (I do have the GIM patch installed) but it works fine if you start the 1.7 version.

Not sure if it's intended or not but in level 2 there's a big patrol breaching your dungeon only 1 minutes in or so and they charge towards your dungeon heart. Furthermore the announcer tells me that I breached Lord Darius' walls and therefore sending his troops towards me while I don't even have claimed the Portal.
    Last edited by Mannoroht; April 30th, 2021 at 02:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannoroht View Post
    For some reason level 1 crashes when playing with the 1.51 version (I do have the GIM patch installed) but it works fine if you start the 1.7 version.

Not sure if it's intended or not but in level 2 there's a big patrol breaching your dungeon only 1 minute in or so and they charge towards your dungeon heart. Furthermore, the announcer tells me that I breached Lord Darius' walls and therefore sending his troops towards me while I don't even have claimed the Portal.
    Hmm, now that I think about it 1.51 may crash due to elite creatures being in the game. Don't remember if this is a possibility or not.

On level 2 there is a big hero party that patrols around your base, try not to have more than one entry point to your base so the heroes don't use it as a shortcut.
    For the situation you described relating to the speech that plays when you tunnel into the Darius area, this does not occur for me through my testing, and I tried it just now, and everything functions as intended.
    Did you play level 2 on 1.51 as well?
    And does it always do this when you try to play the level?

NOTE: Level 5 has been updated! Early game is more feasible to get through.
    Also added late-game hero parties, and buffed weaker ones.
    Also added more hidden secrets!

Veteran Campaign

GIM has the elites.