Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Preview of my custom Campaign, The Barbarian Campaign

Default Re: Preview of my custom Campaign, The Barbarian Campaign

Didn't think id get this many replies. Thanks for the comments and feedback.

As someone who got back into DK recently, just wanted to leave a reply saying that this is a great campaign. I've played up to Byzantium over the last week and I'm really enjoying it.

I haven't played a huge number of custom campaigns but this feels more complete and well put together than most others.

There are quite a few typos, and maybe too many messages in certain levels, but it's mostly small stuff.

One thing that confused me, though. In Baron's Bayou, I had transferred the Avatar from the previous realm. I built up as quickly as possible as the message prompts indicated that there would be a huge invasion. After what felt like an hour's gameplay of me basically just training, I finally got a message saying that the invasion was halfway ready. That's hardly cause to make haste. At this point I had two level 9 Horned Reapers and one of them went berserk because the Treasure Room was empty when he went for payday. I couldn't segregate him so I possessed him and attacked the Heroes. Long story short: I killed all the Knights and destroyed the Heart, winning the game. There was never any invasion and I never had to even use the Avatar.

Surely that can't be how it was meant to play out?

yes. I play tested the level several times and I had trouble getting the script to play out as it should. But you do get a hero invasion at the end. The level definitely works.

No it doesn't, you can win the level before the final party. Some posts above I also mentioned this, and even highlighted the problem in the script and gave the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    No it doesn't, you can win the level before the final party. Some posts above I also mentioned this, and even highlighted the problem in the script and gave the solution.
    Very good points there. It's a shame that the later levels weren't quite as good.

Speaking of what you said about enjoying building your dungeon in the final level, is there a section of the forum where people can just post screenshots/pics of dungeon designs? Digging out rooms and establishing your grounds can be ridiculously enjoyable for some reason.

I don't think a topic exists to share screenshots of dungeon designs, but feel free to make one.
    And I was inspired by that starting layout of the final level, and did something similar for my 'Thug of War' map. I liked that because it forced you to make a different design than you're used to.

It was indeed a shame that darkkingkongman did his campaign in a single go and wanted to do many maps straight away. He says right in the OP that for many maps he struggled for idea's, which is very logical when you force yourself to do 20 maps in a single go. It seemed he spent so much time working on this, he was burned out and didn't want to continue.
    Many of his maps have potential to be expended upon and be improved - and if he really would have treated this as a preview - he could have seen the feedback provided here as a positive and used it to make his 'final version' better still.

I was struggling for ideas. 20 levels is a lot of levels for one standard campaign. I did try to follow other people's advice. It's very difficult to come up with idea's. The Barbarian idea came to me after I watched Conan the Barbarian. and after that I related my ideas from there only with Heroes'. I wonder if it beats the Good Campaign in keeper FX.

20 Levels is indeed a lot. But just because the original campaign which was the only content released 20 years ago and was worked on by several paid people for quite a while contained 20 levels, doesn't mean fans that volunteer to make some maps should also release 20 maps.

Personally, I prefer your campaign over the included 'good campaign'.

But what I meant was, you've called this topic 'Preview or my campaign', but when on 21 October you got your first feedback (positive, but with advice for some improvements), you responded by 'Well, can't please anybody. This was my final contribution.' That's your choice, but I'm just saying that if at that point you would want to work on your campaign some more, you could have used those comments and other comments following that to make it better. That's why I mentioned some wasted potential.

Your campaign WAS NOT BAD. I have high standards and absolutely no qualms with telling you your shit stinks, but - it - doesn't. It's miles upon miles better than the quality we usually see around here.
    That said, you cooked up a 20 level campaign and started plating it before it had a chance to simmer. There's still a solid campaign here, it's just, as Mark said, you should have given it some more time before you said "Okay, i'm done with it, I never want to look at it again". Now is the time for you to look at what people have said, dive back into the editor and make some fixes, changes and improvements.

I'm constantly looking back at maps i've ""finished"" and seeing stuff that's wrong.
    - The lighting in this area is too dark/bright.
    - These gold bags look messy.
    - Walled off a room from it's dungeon // forgot to lock a door // locked a door I shouldn't have.
    - These tiles/slabs are too straight or follow a pattern
    - I've used this design too many times on other levels.
    - These heroes are too weak/strong.
    - This area is too empty/crowded.
    And that's without even touching the script!

Every dev needs to put out patches for their game. It's the same deal for mappers. You can leave your rough gem as it is now, or you can start making some cuts.

In that case I'll start making another map. Thanks for the Feedback.