Intelligence: High
    Construction: Nope
    Training Rate: Average
    Training Cost: Low
    Wage: Low
    Gold Held: Low

Skills

Level 1: Melee
    The standard melee attack which is animated as a bite.

Level 2: Supersonic
    A passive skill which allows the bat to locate invisible enemies.

Level 4: Life Leach
    A low range life draining spell which restores the health of the bat. Deals slightly more damage than a melee attack. Has an small cooldown.

Level 9: Screech
    The bat screeches loudly which paralyses all enemies within range for a second or two. Longer range when underground. Has a long cooldown.*

*Warns allies in order not to affect them.

General Information

About the Bat
    The bat is your natural underground bat that has grown a little bit more then his friends. With a pair of bigger brains they decided to take shelter in dungeons.
    Just like all small creatures they are quite weak yet fast, making them excellent scouts.
    Bats, unlike flies, are smart and know when they face somebody that they can not beat, they wont fight until they die. Bats have other tactics in mind.
    While good as scouts, some keepers want bats because they can be turned into vampires when exposed to enough magic and evil.

Behavior in Dungeon:
    The Bat is a very social creature. When they are not assigned any job they prefer to fly around in small groups. Other than that they simply eat, train or drink.
    Despite their smarts they can not study in the library as they use sound to see nor can they work in the workshop because they are just too small however they do guard and have a very unique attribute to them that interests various keepers.

Behavior in OverWorld:
    Bats prefer dark and damp places, thus they avoid going outside in the afternoon.
    When forced to be outside in brought daylight they tend to be somewhat agitated, not getting food, rest or pay will result in them vandalising and leaving you.

Behavior in Battle:
    Bats are not very strong yet are quite smart. Their main role is to scout and backstab.
    They avoid battle when alone and instead alarm nearby allies.
    When in groups made out of other bats they flock around the enemy, they will always try to attack from behind. Using this tactic they can avoid most attacks if they fight one enemy. Power in numbers.
    When they are overpowered (for example fighting a group of enemies) and have low health (or another bat dies) they choose to flee rather then to stick around and die.
    They can be quite the sneaky enemy.

Vampire
    A bat can be turned into a vampire, while this is not as easy as simply gathering corpses it is an alternate way.
    When at level 10 a bat reaches it's maximum potential and can no longer train or do any other useful jobs. Because they are cheap and easy to maintain, getting them to this point hardly takes a long time.
    Bats can be assigned to graveyards where they will fly around.
    When assigned at level 10 they will turn into a vampire after a short while if their mood is completely happy. Turning the weak scout into a powerful spellcaster.

Strengths:
    • Is very fast and cunning.
    • Can locate invisible enemies.
    • Avoids battle if alone.
    • Excellent scout as it alarms nearby allies.
    • Cheap to train and maintain.
    • When at level 10, assigned to a graveyard and meeting all conditions a bat will turn into a vampire.

Weaknesses:
    • Has no armour and thus takes full damage.
    • Low health and strength which makes the bat useless as a fighter.
    • Can't perform any jobs other then training and guarding.

Jobs:
    Bats love to fly around, serving their role as scouts. They tend to do this in groups if possible.
    Other than that they do all the usual stuff: rest, train or eat. They can be assigned to guard but that's as far as their usefulness goes. Despite their smarts they can not research or craft.

Happiness
    Bats love dark places and love to stay in groups. They don't get agitated fast.
    When in very bright places like outside they become agitated very fast and it wont go away easily.
    If they miss out on food, rest or pay they will immediately become angry and start vandalising your dungeon.
    They destroy quite a lot but this takes them quite some time so major damage can be prevented.

Needs
    Bats need a lair and some food (around 5 tiles) in order to be attracted to your dungeon. They eat rarely and when they do it's not more then one chicken.

Their lair looks like an old tree with one branch where they hang from. (Or if graphics allow it, they hang from the ceiling.)
    Their lair needs to be separated from bugs and flies, they will get attacked by bats which usually win.

Appearance:
    Just a regular bat that has grown into a specimen twice or triple the size of normal ones. Other than that they look the same.

Introduced:
    Appears very early and sticks till the end. Only excluded from levels where scouts or flying creatures are a huge no-no.

Entrance Effect
    Flies at high speed out of the portal while going in circles being excited.

Torture:
    Wings are hooked to the torture chamber and the bat tries to fly away, hurting itself.

Default Re: Bat

official_mothrayas_seal_of_approval.jpg

The Awakening

This looks very cool - especially that bit about avoiding fights, I found flies and Hellhounds a little annoying and distracting to keep alive at times. My only concern is that it's kind of in a role that has already be fulfilled. Having too many creatures that do one job can overcomplicate things and make it difficult for a keeper to maintain a good, balanced force composition.

Demon Spawn

Yeh it's basically an advanced fly. But it can't really hurt to have multiple monsters that fill the same role. Allows keepers to have more customization. In DK1 I found myself using the same two or three monsters.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Airandius View Post
    Yeh it's basically an advanced fly. But it can't really hurt to have multiple monsters that fill the same role. Allows keepers to have more customization. In DK1 I found myself using the same two or three monsters.
    An advanced Fly is more of the Hell Hound's role. He's not as great a scout as a Fly due to some small speed loss (but can easily be trained to level 3 to get Speed in order to outdo a Fly until the Fly gets Speed that is) but he's stronger and can fight. I think the Bat may have a higher chance to get in if it is a Neutral because getting rid of the Fly/Hell Hound I don't think is very likely, and we also don't want to end up with clone units.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

never knew this thread existed, I like it more than than the boom bat suggestion but something feels awkward here (sorry I'm useless). Try revising his skills

Quote Originally Posted by natchoguy View Post
    never knew this thread existed, I like it more than than the boom bat suggestion but something feels awkward here
    Don't you mean the Doom Bat? Boom Bat just sounds funny, and Boob Bat sounds hilarious. (Accidentally typed that just now XD)

(sorry I'm useless).

Try revising his skills
    Well Airandius sorta rage quited from the forum so I don't think that will be happening any time soon.

Tesonu is napping!

Interesting and fairly well thought out.

/Sticky noting this one.

Quote Originally Posted by james.heinichen View Post
    Interesting and fairly well thought out.

/Sticky noting this one.
    James I hope you remember that we still got the Fly who fills the same unit type. Scout Unit. And we got the Hell Hound kinda servicing as an enemy seeker.

Tesonu is napping!

I just like bats, ok.