Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: News on the direction WftO

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: News on the direction WftO

Quote Originally Posted by atari7 View Post
    bluto wanted to make remake before doing wfto.. but malright -.-. once again though they didn't even try. yes they may have gotten shut down but at the rate E.a didn't say anything i really doubt anything would of came of it... like Mario source who has been in progress since 2005. you would think for sure nintendo would shut it down right? no.. sorry just cant stand to know that i looked at these pages for years for nothing.
    and yes i hate E.a but i can only really hate them more if they commented on the project. which was never done..
    EA's a large company. Odds are, they didn't say anything before because they didn't want to bother with some kind of "fan project" that was probably quite unimpressive as far as they're concerned. Once WftO makes a name for itself and shows potential, (to steal DK fans and thus steal EA's money) they probably would have it shut it down, realistically speaking. They have nothing to gain from WftO's existence.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

bluto wanted to make remake before doing wfto.. but malright -.-.
    Yes, so? I'm pretty sure a lot of devs did. That doesn't really change reality, though.
    once again though they didn't even try.
    Do I need to repeat the jumping off a 600 foot cliff analogue?

Trying further to contact them isn't going to benefit us at all. It's more likely that it'll seriously break things, if not outright kill the project.
    yes they may have gotten shut down but at the rate E.a didn't say anything i really doubt anything would of came of it...
    You may have noticed that they never approved of the project either? And like Rex said, we weren't really at threat level for EA. If we were, continuing to infringe on EA's right - and notifying on them - is pretty much a surefire way to get a C&D.
    like Mario source who has been in progress since 2005. you would think for sure nintendo would shut it down right? no..
    You're comparing entirely different companies. Nintendo is a Japanese company primarily, so it isn't as much looking at stuff westerners put on the internet. Additionally, Nintendo is probably not as sue-happy as EA. EA is infamous for closing down stuff.
    sorry just cant stand to know that i looked at these pages for years for nothing.
    If you were expecting a DK remake, then you have been looking at these pages for nothing anyway. If you didn't, then nothing is lost, as WftO is still in production as much as ever.

and yes i hate E.a but i can only really hate them more if they commented on the project. which was never done..
    So, you wanted us to try [to contact EA] but if they'd leave a comment you'd "hate them more". Do you know what would happen if we contacted EA? If you do, you'd know why we haven't contacted EA and instead changed direction.

The Awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    EA's a large company. Odds are, they didn't say anything before because they didn't want to bother with some kind of "fan project" that was probably quite unimpressive as far as they're concerned.
    That's what this was supposed to be, a game for fans, by fans. The final nail in this project came when the decision to charge for it was made.

Once WftO makes a name for itself and shows potential, (to steal DK fans and thus steal EA's money) they probably would have it shut it down, realistically speaking. They have nothing to gain from WftO's existence.
    Delusion. You think this game will be able to stand up in the real world, 2+ years from now? The reason DK was so great (and worth the revamp) was because of its quirky uniqueness, now all we have is the abhorrently generic Cultist.

Originally Posted by atari7

sorry just cant stand to know that i looked at these pages for years for nothing.
    If you were expecting a DK remake, then you have been looking at these pages for nothing anyway. If you didn't, then nothing is lost, as WftO is still in production as much as ever.
    Just be happy you saw bluto's models, they were the only solid thing wfto ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Lquiz View Post
    That's what this was supposed to be, a game for fans, by fans. The final nail in this project came when the decision to charge for it was made.
    Well, it is still a game for fans by fans. We're working hard to make sure to capture the same atmosphere and strategic gameplay DK had. It's been said several times now that we couldn't go on copying DK's features because of the risk of getting a C&D for copyright infringement. You wouldn't want EA to find out about WftO and make them lose everything we've worked for YEARS now, would you? Just be happy that you're going to get your Dungeon atmosphere and gameplay; it's better than risking ending up with nothing at all.

Also, if you can't spare just a couple bucks for the game you've been waiting for for I-don't-know-how-long, then you probably never cared much about the game in the first place.

Delusion. You think this game will be able to stand up in the real world, 2+ years from now? The reason DK was so great (and worth the revamp) was because of its quirky uniqueness, now all we have is the abhorrently generic Cultist.
    What makes you think it cannot stand up? Everything is currently going to plan smoothly, and we'll end up with a game with the dungeon feel and gameplay everyone has been waiting for, as well as good graphics to match. There's nothing saying this won't or cannot be a very good indie game.

Also, if you think the Cultist (and other WftO material) is "abhorrently generic", as you put it, that's your problem then. The cultist (and bloodling) have been received very well by everyone else.

Just be happy you saw bluto's models, they were the only solid thing wfto ever had.
    Yeah, because without Bluto we totally don't have competent modellers, programmers, artists, designers and such in our team now. (Who, mind, are largely still the same as before the direction change).

Bluto made some amazing models, yes, I can't disagree with that. But a game is more than just 3D models.

The Awakening

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Lquiz randomly pops up out of nowhere with an attitude and blind insults to hurl at something without much to support his own arguments other than his own highly questionable opinions. Why am I not surprised?

If that's your impression, then that proves how little you know about WftO to begin with. I'm guessing you've passed by here a few times and only saw Bluto's models without looking at much else, then foolishly decided to form your own opinion that WftO is fail. You try to speak about it as if it were fact, yet there's probably a significant amount of people who only laugh at your own words because of how ridiculous they sound. You don't know anything of what you're talking about. At best, all you have is information that is very, very dated.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Lquiz randomly pops up out of nowhere with an attitude and blind insults to hurl at something without much to support his own arguments other than his own highly questionable opinions. Why am I not surprised?

If that's your impression, then that proves how little you know about WftO to begin with. I'm guessing you've passed by here a few times and only saw Bluto's models without looking at much else, then foolishly decided to form your own opinion that WftO is fail. You try to speak about it as if it were fact, yet there's probably a significant amount of people who only laugh at your own words because of how ridiculous they sound. You don't know anything of what you're talking about. At best, all you have is information that is very, very dated.

Haha! That's me in a nutshell! Glad I can still stir up a bit of a response from you fine gentlemen.

I was all over IKSLM and NBK, when it got changed from 100% Dungeon Keeper I stopped really caring, now it has gone to 0% Dungeon Keeper, I really don't care. Good luck with it, I'll be there in 2 years to tell you its awful!

Haha! That's me in a nutshell! Glad I can still stir up a bit of a response from you fine gentlemen.
    Glad to see that you see and acknowledge yourself that you're a jerk. That doesn't happen often.

I was all over IKSLM and NBK, when it got changed from 100% Dungeon Keeper I stopped really caring, now it has gone to 0% Dungeon Keeper, I really don't care. Good luck with it, I'll be there in 2 years to tell you its awful!
    So, your opinion about the game is directly proportional to the amount of DK IP in it?

Wow, that's just... I don't even have any words for it. That's just sad and misguided.

The Awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    Glad to see that you see and acknowledge yourself that you're a jerk. That doesn't happen often.
    And there was me thinking I was universally loved at KK!

So, your opinion about the game is directly proportional to the amount of DK IP in it?

Wow, that's just... I don't even have any words for it. That's just sad and misguided.
    Bit of a strong reaction, no words? Sad and misguided? To be fair, this IS a Dungeon Keeper forum.

And there was me thinking I was universally loved at KK!
    Well, in the off times you did come around here, you tended to act like a jerk too.

If you throw around insults at people, it's kinda hard to be "universally loved".

Bit of a strong reaction, no words? Sad and misguided? To be fair, this IS a Dungeon Keeper forum.
    Most Dungeon Keeper forumites, though, have not only accepted the fact (as well as appraised it, since it means a lot of good things), but they also haven't turned overly hostile towards the project just because of the IP change. I haven't seen anyone bash WftO as much as you do now since the IP switch.

The Awakening

In my dungeon filled with treasure and misstresses
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Thorghar

Are you going to add some custom creatures like giant scorpions and werewolves?