Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

Default Re: Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch - DK2 with Better Balance (And Pie)

I have some minor free time window, so I will gladly play a couple of levels and give you feedback.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Here is a preview of the 3.0 patch. It's Levels 1 to 11. Level 11 is what needs testing.

There's still some polishing I haven't quite finished. Effect generators are not present in all the maps, I haven't checked up on the debriefing text if there needs additional updating, things like that.

DKII Patch 3.0 Preview.zip

Here is the change log, largely unorganized. I'll give it better format and explain reasoning behind a lot of the changes when I finish the real update.

General Changes

Creature Changes

Hero Changes

Creature Spell Changes

Keeper Spell Changes

Trap and Door Changes

Level Changes

Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

So after taking some time away from the patch, I started working on it again some time ago.

I began playing through the start of the campaign again and felt there were some things that could be done to significantly better the first few levels, so I decided to get back into level designing with some tweaks / revisions to the first five maps. I ended up devoting a lot more to these revisions than I initially expected; for example I playtested the first two levels six to eight times each to make sure their changes are just right, which is a lot considering their simplistic design.

For the third to fifth levels, I felt that they had problems that were more fundamental in their design, as I tried to make them resemble the original maps more than I should have. So, I decided to redesign those maps from complete scratch. With the new designs, they do a much better job of teaching the player certain things; the third level is now a complete Hero Invasion map to express more defensive combat and the use of traps, while also getting the player used to dealing with multiple Hero Parties at once.

In general, the level revisions make the maps far more interesting by boosting the challenge and feeling of pressure while also increasing the pacing of the map and making it so there's less time when the player is 'doing nothing', even in the first level. They feel much less tedious to play through, even as a more experienced player like myself, and also provide the player with new features / abilities sooner as opposed to later. I intend to keep this approach as I go through the campaign again to make revisions.

As for how far along I am with these revisions, the first four levels are complete and the fifth level is in progress. The new fifth level's basic map is near complete; I just need to perform a bit more polishing on the terrain. Afterwards, I can move onto adding objects, Heroes, scripts, and revisions for the Keeper AI. Lastly, there is the testing, of course.

With these level revisions, I also have some experimental balance changes that I'm working with. They mostly involve Creature side Support units, as the addition of the Firefly does make a lot of impact. I want to make sure that not only is the Firefly good to go, but that other Support units are properly carrying their own weight and stand out as being unique by comparison.

I plan to release these level revisions and experimental balance changes once I finish up the fifth level. I don't know when that'll be considering the extent at which I've been playtesting the maps and everything going on around me as I work, but it'll be some time within the near future.

Tesonu is napping!

Minor update. First five levels are coming along fine. I think I'll have them ready by this weekend by the latest. Additionally, I'll be including a multiplayer map for additional testing... called 'Multiplayer'. Here are some thumbnails of the maps I did complete revisions of.

Level 3:

Level 4:

Level 5:

Multiplayer Map:
    Last edited by Metal Gear Rex; November 1st, 2014 at 08:06.

Tesonu is napping!

verynice
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Minor update. The next release will be soonâ„¢.

I would have released it last weekend, however, I decided to do some last minute changes to the Hero Side after feeling that some of them felt a little too 'plain' when they shouldn't. The biggest Hero change involved some rebalancing done to the Guard, as he's a common Hero so this naturally has a fairly significant impact on all levels being released. There are some other changes relating to Traps that also have a significant impact on level 3 and onward.

So, during this week, I've been replaytesting the maps and tweaking again to properly adjust them to these latest revisions while also testing said revisions for their general balance. I'm currently on Level 4 and almost done. Level 5 shouldn't take too much more of my time, although I don't think I can accurately estimate how long it'll be.

Overall there's a much larger list of balance changes than I initially expected there to be. Some of said changes are with units / other unavailable within the first five levels, so they'll only be usable / testable in that Multiplayer (and Skirmish, although the AI probably can't handle the terrain) map. The balance on such things may not be spot on due to much more limited test information, but there should be a clearly defined direction as to where I'm taking the balance direction, much like how each map highlights the kind of approach I want for future maps.

Update over.

Tesonu is napping!

So for those that saw / remember the change log of the last demo release, I've been attempting to create some sort of Spiked Door (renamed to Blade Door to match its new effect) to replace the Secret Door. I've noticed some weirdness with its attack range vs its firing range, so I attempted to try and fix it.

screw you dkii

Didn't work. There's some more weirdness with DKII because, for some unfathomable reason, doors have one tile extra range towards the North and West of it when it comes to the 'attack doors', or at least with the Blade Door's AoE. This is a big deal because, as the picture shows, you can place a super strong door on one side and a Blade Door behind it, effectively making a simple but super combo door if you put them in the right position. In other words, it's abusable as hell and I have no way to fix it because DKII is ignoring the shot offset settings for some other absurd reason.

The faces there express my current mood.

Tesonu is napping!

New patch is finally here! The reason why this took so much longer is relating to me constantly finding things to tweak and thus requiring more time to properly playtest to see how it effects the campaign. I wrote the majority of this change log late at night. I hope it doesn't show too much ^^

This update includes the first five levels of the campaign and a bonus Multiplayer / Skirmish map. The latter three campaign maps have been revised from scratch.

This patch is considered experimental. While any unit, trap, etc included in the five campaign maps is very much tested, there are a lot of changes to units beyond that (seen in the Multiplayer map) that aren't as confidently tested.

General Changes

Unit Changes

Room Changes

Keeper Spell Changes

Trap and Door Changes

Level Changes

Last edited by Metal Gear Rex; November 29th, 2014 at 11:26.

Tesonu is napping!

Uhm, I can't be the only one unable to open spoiler tags, right?
    I want to read the patch notes to see if it's worth a download, but I genuinely don't know how to open them.

Also replaying DK2 for like the 5th time, never grows old.