Poll: Who is this "Mentor"? Are there two of them or many?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The "Mentor"

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default The "Mentor"

For the poll, it is a question if there are two of them for every Keeper (Or just the Player) which would be the one who tells you what's going on around the dungeon, and the one who tells you about all the happy in the land and all the horror after you visited it. Answers are pretty much who you believe the "Mentor" is and is to be referred as. However please read the below info as well.

Something I've been very curious about, but when was he first called the mentor? Was it in an instruction manuel or something? I don't remember him being referred to a Mentor, or anything for that matter.

All we do know is that this "Mentor" informs the Keeper of actions inside the dungeon, so wouldn't he be an informer?

In DK1, there seem to be two of them. There's the informer and one who actually says something other than "YOUR DUNGEON HEART IS UNDER ATTACK!"

Lone Fly : "Take that you stupid Dungeon Heart!"

In DK2, the "Informant" and this other one during the mission debriefing and results seem to be the same person. I wouldn't go more so with DK2's version, since DK1 is the original.

Not to mention, the one durring the debriefing and results does refer to the Player as "Master" in DK1 (Not sure about DK2, I don't play it nor care :P) but how can that be? If someone is your Mentor, they'd be your "Master", not the other way around.

Does this mean the so called "Mentor" is really just a servant of the Player, a high and powerful servant? This would explain why there can be one for every Keeper, doesn't it?

But here's the real questions-

1. Are they two people, one being an Informant and not a "Mentor"?

2. When was he first called the "Mentor"?

3. Isn't the "Mentor" more like a Servant since he referrs to the Player as his Master, not the other way around?

The reason why I turned this into a Poll is simply to be another way to get answers but I still would like to here explanations. Your response?

EDIT:
    Damn it, I should have added a "Not Sure" response to the Poll. >_>
    Last edited by Metal Gear Rex; May 22nd, 2010 at 00:08.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Default Re: The "Mentor"

Dk2 Mentor definitely has the feel of a mentor. You can get that from just listening to the briefings and debriefings. You got the feel that there was some kind of powerful partnership between Mentor and Keeper.

That is one of the reasons I always thought Horny was the DK2 Mentor. That and the fact he has the necessary power and evil credentials.

For DK1 I would say that "Informant" doesn't really fit there. High Servant kind of makes sense.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

I don't get the poll options :/

Quote Originally Posted by dotted View Post
    I don't get the poll options :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    Answers are pretty much who you believe the "Mentor" is and is to be referred as.
    :/

Quote Originally Posted by Talking Forum Cookie
    Dk2 Mentor definitely has the feel of a mentor. You can get that from just listening to the briefings and debriefings. You got the feel that there was some kind of powerful partnership between Mentor and Keeper.

That is one of the reasons I always thought Horny was the DK2 Mentor. That and the fact he has the necessary power and evil credentials.

For DK1 I would say that "Informant" doesn't really fit there. High Servant kind of makes sense.
    Well I do actually want to focus on DK1, since it is the original. Perhaps it was DK2's intentions but was it DK1's? Even so, does the DK2 version refer to Keeper as "Master" at any time?

Maybe the original one he could be Horny since he had a hellish voice. :P

Well in DK1 it sounds like there are two by the voices. But yes, High Servant does make alot more sense.

Actually, something that bothers me in the logic of it. If the "Mentor" is really your master (As he is the "Mentor") then doesn't that mean he has the abilities to be a Keeper himself? And if he has such an interest for power or something, why doesn't he fight himself if he has power to be an even greater keeper?

It really does question the relationship between the Mentor and the Keeper.

Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

The mentor is part of the Keeper, sort of a subcreature within the Keeper. Yeah thats what he is - and the poll options still don't make any sense to me.

Gamer IDs

Mentor could be master, but might also be a equal standing teacher or lesser aide. DK2 really did create a sense of equal partnership between powerful beings.

Maybe the original one he could be Horny since he had a hellish voice. :P
    If you think about it, Dk2 horny was a lot more human. He was bestial, but I think he had savage intelligence. He sought an alliance with you in order to, defeat the Keepers and obtain the portal gems, to me that speaks of a formidable mind.

Actually, something that bothers me in the logic of it. If the "Mentor" is really your master (As he is the "Mentor") then doesn't that mean he has the abilities to be a Keeper himself? And if he has such an interest for power or something, why doesn't he fight himself if he has power to be an even greater keeper?
    Maybe because they/he can't?
    Last edited by MeinCookie; May 22nd, 2010 at 00:44.

Quote Originally Posted by MeinCookie View Post
    Mentor could be master, but might also be a equal standing teacher or lesser aide. DK2 really did create a sense of equal partnership between powerful beings.

If you think about it, Dk2 horny was a lot more human. He was bestial, but I think he had savage intelligence. He sought an alliance with you in order to, defeat the Keepers and obtain the portal gems, to me that speaks of a formidable mind.

Maybe because they/he can't?
    /she? You never know...

Yes well now we have to define what the hell a Keeper is now. From what I gather, it is an evil spirit taking semi-physical form in order to bring order but also to retain magical powerz.

DK2 Mentor is human? Well DK2 is human, Goblins, Rouges, BOO! HUMANS!!! D:<

Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

I'm personally still a fan of DK 2 Mentor is DK 2 Horny.

It makes more sense for them to be the same then for the Keeper to form 2 separate allies to help him in his quest for dominion.

My opinion only

Imp

Remember the first missions in DK2. The Mentor says something like "and with the death of the lord, the horned reaper will claim the gem, ah here he is now"
    it's the first mission..

Somebody can be a Mentor and not the master. Think of a king and his advisor. That's how I view the "Mentor" as an advisor, and friend (if his/her only) to the keeper.

I don't think Horny is the mentor in DKII.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhampir View Post
    Remember the first missions in DK2. The Mentor says something like "and with the death of the lord, the horned reaper will claim the gem, ah here he is now"
    Why would he announce himself like that? It's the same later on in the game when you obtain the first piece of the Horny talisman and the mentor tells you that you're able to summon Horny now. If it was Horny he would just say "you can now sommun me to fight" or something

Maybe the mentor could be a keeper but just can't be bothered to do all the work. Or he does not want to end up killed by a bunch knights in shiny armor.

EDIT: wow I can't write right now