Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bullfrog Map Editor VS Adikted Comparison

Imp

Default Re: Bullfrog Map Editor VS Adikted Comparison

I installed the editor.exe exactly where the readme distinguished, but after not getting it able to work; I finally contact EA, who said.

"We are sorry, but you must understand that we cannot solve this problem, as EA does not support all of its products which were developed under external developers"

I'm not sure they knew what 'Dungeon Keeper' actually was, to be honest.

If you want, I have made an editor folder specially for KeeperFX where all I have to do is move the levels from the Levels folder of KeeperFX to the Levels folder of the editor, bring the modifications I want, then return the edited levels to the Levels folder of KeeperFX. I simply use the files required for the editor to work. Anyone interested?
    You could try that, if it has been setup for KeeperFX then perhaps it might work.

You do realize EA doesn't give half a crap about a map editor of a 13 year old game that they only were the publisher of at the time, right?

The Awakening

Imp

Do you realise that they are still selling the game?

Well I don't think they did just so little as 'publish it'. They still own the intellectual rights to it and dispite that don't do anything with it.
    Last edited by Combat-Enforcer; July 23rd, 2010 at 00:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Combat-Enforcer View Post
    Do you realise that they are still selling the game?
    Nope, since last I checked, they don't. There's a reason the game's considered abandonware.

Well I don't think they did just so little as 'publish it'. They still own the intellectual rights to it and dispite that don't do anything with it.
    They actually did as little as publish it. Bullfrog made the game, EA published it. EA later bought up Bullfrog and so got the rights.

And yeah, they don't do anything with it. Who knows why.

The Awakening

Imp

But in 2004 when I contacted EA about the editor not starting, they were.

They actually did as little as publish it. Bullfrog made the game, EA published it. EA later bought up Bullfrog and so got the rights.
    Yes, I am aware that they didn't make the game. That's what I meant. They aren't the ones who made it, but they are the main beneficiaries of a game which they do not care anything about; and endorse pseudo-Dungeon Keeper World of Warcraft copies like 'Dungeon Keeper online'.
    Last edited by Combat-Enforcer; July 23rd, 2010 at 01:29.

I doubt EA was still distributing the first game or even the second game in 2004, considering they abandoned DK3 in 2000.

And I don't get what your point is in the second sentence.

The Awakening

Imp

Dungeon Keeper online is a new Dungeon keeper MMO game with the Dungeon keeper title which EA are endorsing, which looks more like it's trying to immitate World of Warcraft than looking anything like Dungeon Keeper.

Allthough, Dungeon Keeper online is exclusive to China only; so far it is not being released for any other country. It just looks all funky and wacky.

http://dk.91.com/

Yes, I know what Dungeon Keeper Online is, tyvm. I don't consider it a true DK game so I'll just pretend it doesn't exist.

The Awakening

But regarding adikted, doesn't that corrupt the integrity of mapfiles or something?
    NO

Jon Skeets version did. But that version has been updated by Mefistetolis some years ago. The Current Adikted has a debugger, that debugs also Unded bugs. This means, that in whatever editor you make your level, you can make it compatible to Dungeon Keeper with the current Adikted. If you have downloaded it from Jon Skeets website, it has been corrupted, you can repair it in Adikted.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/adikted/
    Debugging is done with pressing Ctrl+u, both in slab and in things mode. That's two times.
    Don't forget that.
    You can use the Unded Editor also for lot's of stuff that can not be done in the Official Editor. In the Official Editor, you can not place trap and door boxes, but in Unded and Adikted you can.
    In Adikted there is a complete freedom of placing things, I mean the *.tng entries, and you have a lot of control over the blocks in column mode.

I didn't use the build in script verifier myself, with the last level I made. This was because, well, if you have a look at the script of that level, you'll understand that no verifier works there. I know other verifiers, but most of the time I can debug maps themselves. And there can also be mistakes in the script, that you only find out by playtesting.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfist View Post
    I didn't use the build in script verifier myself, with the last level I made. This was because, well, if you have a look at the script of that level, you'll understand that no verifier works there. I know other verifiers, but most of the time I can debug maps themselves. And there can also be mistakes in the script, that you only find out by playtesting.
    That is true; the only perfect verifier is the game itself. ADiKtEd can sometimes warn about errors which are really correct phrases, just too advanced for it to understand. If there are really errors in script, then KeeperFX will place a message about them in LOG file when the level is being loaded. Looking at the LOG is the best way of finding errors.