Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bullfrog Map Editor VS Adikted Comparison

Imp
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: BG7991

Default Bullfrog Map Editor VS Adikted Comparison

Hi, I just wanted to ask, what features does AdiktED include? I know that it is command-line based, but does it have any features that the Bullfrog editor doesn't? I have been considering AdiktED for a while now, but I'm sceptical over wether there's any point.

Default Re: Bullfrog Map Editor VS Adikted Comparison

The simple fact that Adikted doesn't have any problems with the speed of the computer, something that the Offical Editor is notorious is about, works for me. True, it takes some time to master Adikted and getting used to it's features but it works really fast after that.

Another big plus for Adikted is that it got a script verrifier, saves alot of work figuring out looking for errors in the script.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Imp
    Gamer IDs

Ah, ok then. I'm going to download it now. Thanks for replying so quickly!

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    The simple fact that Adikted doesn't have any problems with the speed of the computer, something that the Offical Editor is notorious is about, works for me. True, it takes some time to master Adikted and getting used to it's features but it works really fast after that.

Another big plus for Adikted is that it got a script verrifier, saves alot of work figuring out looking for errors in the script.
    Although you also forgot to mention that Adkited is able to place things the official editor cannot. An example is placing graves somewhere, like around the dungeon heart. You can see this in level 12, as there are grades near the south door you have from the beginning. You can also make the cave in effect as it was displayed in level 9 near the Locate Hidden Land.

The only problem, (And reason why I don't use Adkited) is because it takes much longer to make a map compared to the official editor. If you have no problem with the speed, and you're not going to use the extra features Adkited has, (Not including script included stuff) then you might want to go to the official editor instead since maps are easier to make.

Also there is advantage with lighting the official editor has, as you can't see how strong or weak lighting is but I doubt that is a commonly used feature anyways.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Imp
    Gamer IDs

Tried it now, although it takes a while to get used to, it feels a lot faster to make maps now, using the marking tool. Also, I love the build-in script generator. Now all I have to do is think of a cool idea for a map (or possible campaign) :b

Don't forget there is an Adikted manual, here.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Imp

On any computer I have used, I have never gotten the official bullfrog map editor to work at all. Years and years ago while I used to play dungeon keeper, i used windows 98; that didn't work. A while ago, I tried xp which didn't work either, and now when I try it on vista it has exactly the same problem.

I used the one which comes from the DK Gold CD, and which is provided on this website, and niether of them work.

Is there some kind of patch for it somewhere?

But regarding addikted, doesn't that corrupt the integrity of mapfiles or something?
    Last edited by Combat-Enforcer; July 22nd, 2010 at 17:46.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Combat-Enforcer View Post
    But regarding addikted, doesn't that corrupt the integrity of mapfiles or something?
    Seems like it a little bit. I personally use the official editor because I noticed that for some reason, Adkited for me produces alot of buggy maps... a bit annoying really.

If you're afraid of it corrupting your maps, create a backup of whatever map you're going to modify before you do try it.

EDIT: Oh and about a patch, I don't really know. You did follow the instructions exactly, right? What happens when you open up? Is there a CD with a question mark or does it just close out all of a sudden?
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Imp

Nono, I installed it right. Every time it just loads up to the title screen with the horned reaper, shows the hot disk then exits to windows.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

The official editor works sooooooo fine under Windows 98. I still have that OS on another computer and it's working like a charm. Now, I'm using XP and it's still working very well. I'm pretty sure that, if it didn't work, this is because you didn't install it correctly. You must read the editor manual to make it work correctly.

If you want, I have made an editor folder specially for KeeperFX where all I have to do is move the levels from the Levels folder of KeeperFX to the Levels folder of the editor, bring the modifications I want, then return the edited levels to the Levels folder of KeeperFX. I simply use the files required for the editor to work. Anyone interested?
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...