Thread: Torture Settings

Default Torture Settings

When you torture captured prisoners, there tends to feel like little control is to be had. In this day and age of gaming, not having control is considered bad and gameplay balance revolves around this... so let's ensure when we use a prisoner we get what we want.

There could be a bar that reads smething like this.

100 I I I I I 50 I I I I I 100

On either sider would be extort or convert to determine the percentage chance that a creature either converts or speaks. Useful if you need the lay of your enemy's land rather than his weaker insects as lair wasting fodder. Say you want most creatures to convert but still sometimes want info, you can set the bar to say... 84% convert where you'll still have a 16% chance to get information every time the creature's threshold is hit.

It is only a concept, but RNGs are frowned upon these days for balanced gameplay.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

Default Re: Torture Settings

What stops me from capturing something as pathetic as say, an imp?

torturing the crap out of him for information and healing him at the same time.

after that I convert him.

The hole in this idea is that the entire enem'ys base can be revealed from one creature, no matter how small or weak.

Except I don't think imps should even leave a corpse let alone unconcious remains.

Hellhound

Personally, I don't like this idea. I liked it how it perfectly was, torture took it's own time and you casted Heal on them every now and then, or laugh as they slowly die from the devices or torturer. Having a bar would make the game "casual". Sure, the casual market is booming nowdays, but WFTO, to my knowledge, is geared toward old fashioned DK players, not the casuals or new people.

In addition, you can't see what is going on in the victim's mind. They may give physical hints or sounds, but otherwise, there is no system.

Also, I'm a supporter of Ghosts coming back, so there's a chance of conversion, failed attempt (Ghost), and information.

Also, RNG is not always frowned upon. Fire Emblem is known for the RNG, and I enjoy that gameplay. Sure, that's just me, but Fire Emblem also has a good fanbase as well, backing up that RNG isn't all bad.

i say you should get either a ghost or info. getting both seems just op. why convert when you already get a creature and map reveal

Hellhound

To clarify the post, there would be three separate things. I did not say you get the ghost and the information.

1: Conversion (converts to your side.)
    2: Failure (Victim turns into a ghost, no corpse given. Only happens when their life reaches 0 or the very slight chance that it just failed.)
    3: Information (Victim dies but information given. This corpse can not be used for the graveyard.)

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

Except I don't think imps should even leave a corpse let alone unconcious remains.

Well, everything should leave a corpse behind, creatures should also only be left concious if the payer toggles it.

I quite like the randomness of things in the Torture Chamber, you stick an enemy in there you never know what you are going to get :P

Personally I think torture should work better the more risk you are willing to take, for example torturing someone to near death, then healing them back up.
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you areā€¦"

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dilas View Post
    This is about the only thing I agree on with you in this whole topic. The next biggest squealer is the Goblin/Thief, especially the Thief (Nobody can stand the nut smash that long) so that would make this totally abusive if making him give out information. Litterally, I wouldn't be surprised if I knew the whole map in less than a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Sire View Post
    Personally, I don't like this idea. I liked it how it perfectly was, torture took it's own time and you casted Heal on them every now and then, or laugh as they slowly die from the devices or torturer. Having a bar would make the game "casual". Sure, the casual market is booming nowdays, but WFTO, to my knowledge, is geared toward old fashioned DK players, not the casuals or new people.

In addition, you can't see what is going on in the victim's mind. They may give physical hints or sounds, but otherwise, there is no system.
    Also you forgot to mention it is going to be incredibly boring and a bit game-breaking if I can speed up converting. In fact, with this style of torture, I could make enemies not convert and instead give me a whole lot of information THEN convert them. Once I have all the info on the map, hello huge army.

Especially on Hero Invasion maps. Those maps you COULD get a lot of Heroes, but the problem is (On some of the harder/more interesting Hero Invasion maps) that you're multi-tasking beyond your control, therefore you don't have as much time to pay attention to torture and you get a few ghosts on your hands. With this feature, I could easily convert all the Heroes that come my way, then boom-no more challange, no more fun.

Not to mention, it would have to become a bigger challange only if the map-maker makes more invasions, but there's one serious problem. First off, it forces the player to use this feature to the max or he'll be doomed. Second, the other creatures won't have time to heal up unless you cast heal on them, but that uses more mana/gold or whatever we'll be using.

In the end, it would be an extremely bad map design due to a very bad game idea. You ought to think ahead of ALL possibilities before coming up with an idea like this, as this IS a Dungeon Keeper game, or you'll most likely be running into a lot of bashing on your ideas.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Dilas View Post
    When you torture captured prisoners, there tends to feel like little control is to be had. In this day and age of gaming, not having control is considered bad and gameplay balance revolves around this... so let's ensure when we use a prisoner we get what we want.
    I cannot see how you don't have control about torture. If you put any creature that has just been imprisoned into the torture chamber without healing it, it will talk and die. If you want to convert a creature, you just heal it right after throwing it into the torture chamber and return now and then to check if it needs to be healed again.

And quite frankly, sliders are just not DK.