Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Dungeon Keeper II - How I got it running with Hardware Acceleration turned on in win7

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Default Re: Dungeon Keeper II - How I got it running with Hardware Acceleration turned on in

You'Re talking to me or to Draconis? 'cause if it's Draconis, it doesn't seem to be there anymore.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Default Re: Dungeon Keeper II - How I got it running with Hardware Acceleration turned on in

Apologies that any replies are so late.

When I first did this, I believe it was with the patch up to 1.6

Subsequently, 1.7 killed it.

After a reinstall of my OS recently to an SSD I found this to still be the case. 1.7 Kills the game's ability to run for me on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. No compatibility fixes work. The windows compatibility program that some recommend you download also does not work.

The unofficial patch 1.73 does not work either. I have not tried 1.80

Thus far, I have only gotten the game to work, period, with hardware acceleration turned on, up to 1.6. Nothing else will function. So those of you who are having issues, please try that.

As a further note. Go to gamecopyworld and grab the cracked exe. Do not use the unsafedisc program. Once I used that, my system and fresh reinstall was subsequently screwed. I was trying to test everything for the community here to see what worked and what did not. After using unsafedisc, I literally could not get DK 2 to run on even the base install.

Whereas before I used the unsafedisc program, it worked just fine. After it though, I got nothing but constant DKII.icd has stopped working errors.

To be blunt, I nuked my progress of the reinstall up to that point and went back to an image checkpoint for the OS. After that, not a problem. DK II would reinstall properly.

Now, as to WHY 1.7 kills everything. I don't have an answer. But bluntly, I cannot get this game to work under 1.7.

I was able to install the bonus packs, 1, 2, and 3 just fine. Unfortunately, not having 1.7 means not being able to get the Maiden or the Jack in the Box.

So, if anyone knows how to get 1.7 working PERIOD, let me know. I'll dig into it and see if I can find a way to make it work on my system with hardware acceleration turned on. But as of right now, only 1.6 works, and nothing else.

The moment I start 1.7 and higher, it crashes. Instantly. No matter what I do to try and get it functioning. Cracks, Compatibility, nada. Nothing works.

So, for those of you have asked. It's a matter of weighing choices. Personally, I'd rather play the game period. So 1.6 is fine with me. Higher resolutions also work if you hack the registry keys in the video folder for DK2 under Hkey current user/software/bullfrog etc

However, as others have noted, once you go above 1024 x 768, text for options in the menus disappear.

Who knows. Maybe someone can take 1.6 and compare it to 1.7. Find out why the frick it doesn't work.

Hope this helps everyone, apologies for such a late reply to any of this. I work IT managing a data center, so free time = practically NIL.

---------- Post added at 09:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

Pyro

try setting a command line parameter option of -32bitdisplay and -32bittextures to the game. See if that works.

Otherwise, I'd set any Video Card options to something akin to "Let the application decide"

A lot of the problems with older games nowadays tends to be due to the newer video cards passing down instructions that the older games just don't translate well basically. So, the best option is to dummy our graphics down and just let the game options try and handle it.

I am not sure if this will resolve your problem, but, it's worth a shot.

So has anyone found any new fixes for this game? I have all the issues with black boxes etc, but any time I try any of the suggested fixes, the game proceeds to crash after the intro movie.

-Win7x64
    -Intel i5 2.3GHz
    -Intel HD Graphics 3000

Yes, I have it working in 1920 x 1200 with hardware acceleration using the GOG edition of the game. And by editing the gog.ini file and the registry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHOT0012.jpg 
Views:	1117 
Size:	487.0 KB 
ID:	1143

Arrow Re: Dungeon Keeper II - How I got it running with Hardware Acceleration turned on in

Hey, you should also check a smiliar thread on GOG Forum:

>>> Dungeon Keeper 2 hardware acceleration fix is now live <<<