Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RAM detection issues

Default Framerate issues

Hi, long time fan of the original here who's never been frustrated by the incompatibility with later versions of Windows. Just downloaded FX and with a little bit of fixing I've gotten past the usual colour/resolution bugs and it's working a treat. Thanks for this opportunity to play such a great game again.

Tad of an issue though; when I started up the first campaign I noticed it was running a little slow. It seems to be a framerate issue and improves/degrades depending on what I'm looking at. There wasn't a mention of it in the FAQ - but it did mention something about the lens effects being disabled if the game detected less than 16mb of RAM. I tried possessing a fly and sure enough, no distortion. I'm assuming this is the same issue and I have 4GB of installed memory. Is there any way I can fix this? I apologise if this has been asked before.
    Last edited by Aval; January 28th, 2011 at 22:07.

Ghost

Default Re: RAM detection issues

Are you running "keeperfx.exe" or "keeperfx_dbg.exe"? You must execute the first one, the second runs slowly

Nope. Not running debug.

Edit: My friend who's running Windows XP (I think) is also reporting an inconsistent framerate (I'm on Win7).

Also when I first possess a creature I get the map and toolbar sort of half-superimposed and tiled over the view and I need to switch resolutions to fix it.
    Last edited by Aval; January 27th, 2011 at 18:40.

Ghost

What does Keeperfx.log say? I have 4GB of memory and the log says that there is 32MB of psychical memory. I don't know why the rest isn't counted (16bit code maybe?)

Cause 32MB is the max the game use.
    In the source of the game is a method which checks the mem size and set it on 32 max.

hmm, I guess it says that I passed the RAM test:

Sync: PhysicalMemory 32
    Sync: Memory-demanding features enabled.

But I still don't see any lens effects for flies and the framerate is nearly unplayable when I'm looking at a lot of things and effects like a few creatures near a portal or big fights with lots of casting.

Hmm does the game lag also with an old non-SDL version, like 0.36?

I realize this is a bit of work to test, but I think it could help to narrow down problem.

Could someone upload a compressed complete version of 0.36? I can only find a patch on the site and I can't get any of the older versions to upgrade - the host site seems dead.

Try: http://www.keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=7

Also, after reading change log I realized 0.37c could also work (blaming my bad memory), so do try that instead of 0.36.

Thanks. Downloading. I got Keeper to work in DOSbox very nicely though so my cravings are met - so no pressure - but I guess you could use the testing.