Thread: Hero Specialization

Default Hero Specialization

Please read the whole thing before commenting!

I had this idea around for a while, it is something I actually planned on doing in the Awakening RPG; why not divide the Heroes’ forces into sub-factions with each his own bonus and traits? Every army, let it be in the present or in the past, had to rely on times where they needed soldiers who were specialized at some things normal soldiers couldn’t do just as good. Take the Praetorian Guard for example, at the very least they were veteran soldiers and were better armed opposed to the standard Legionaires, so you can pretty much expect they were elites if they would appear in DK.

What I’m basicly saying is; there should be more varriation and diversity when fighting Heroes and Keepers should be less careless with their resources. Imagine when you have a Vampire and you pit him against a Monk, following DK2 rules, the Vampire should die when he loses. Buuuuuut on top of that ability, this Monk has been assigned to be part of a Sub group of Heroes who can deal extra damage against Vampires (to name an example of such an ability)! So obviously you need something else to smack the skull of that Monk.

Coming back on the Praetorian-Legionaire example; ofcourse those ‘’Special Forces’’ are not so numerous as their Legionaire counterparts, so unless it’s a special scenario, or being tweaked in the map editor, the Legionaire would still compose the vast bulk of the army. Assigning a Hero to a sub-faction should be hopefully as easy as checking it in a box in ‘’Creature Properties’’. I do also hope it would be possible to perhaps make separate models for each sub-faction.

Some sub-factions I had in mind:

Regulair Hero
    Your average muppet Heroes, no bonusses or other abilities other than they already posses. In practice, they should form the vast majority of enemies.

Elite Hero
    On par with your own elite creatures because of their increased stats compared to their regulair counterparts, no change in strategy is required, they just take somewhat longer to kill.

Templar Hero
    Somewhat resistant to spells the Keeper might cast on them, deals aditional damage against Undead Creatures. This is an example where a change in strategy would be required for the Dungeon Keeper should he not want to risk his Skeletons or waste mana!

and more and more groups...

Constructive comments only!
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; August 15th, 2010 at 20:24.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: Hero Specialization

How would the Player know the differences between each Sub-Group? There should be a notable difference mainly to allow the Player to actually prepare a proper defense (Would be annoying to place a Vampire against a Monk expecting victory, then finding out he's an elite Monk the hard way, especially if said Vampire was beyond level 5)

Also, if there is a Hero Keeper, how do you think this will work? (Or are you not counting on that?)
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    How would the Player know the differences between each Sub-Group? There should be a notable difference mainly to allow the Player to actually prepare a proper defense (Would be annoying to place a Vampire against a Monk expecting victory, then finding out he's an elite Monk the hard way, especially if said Vampire was beyond level 5)
    Well, I pointed out in my first post that new models may have to be made for that. But I think it may prove too much of a hassle for every Sub-Group, so we will have to go in that direction for only for some important groups, like Elite Heroes.

A much more simpler and practical idea would be to use the colors the Heroes are wearing on their cloths or armor to designate groups.

Also, if there is a Hero Keeper, how do you think this will work? (Or are you not counting on that?)
    This is a suggestion made with the intention of being exclusive to Heroes, so I didn't really thought of that.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    Well, I pointed out in my first post that new models may have to be made for that. But I think it may prove too much of a hassle for every Sub-Group, so we will have to go in that direction for only for some important groups, like Elite Heroes.

A much more simpler and practical idea would be to use the colors the Heroes are wearing on their cloths or armor to designate groups.
    Well Elite Heroes seems like the highest of possibilies, as we already have elite Creatures. I'm actually not too sure about the other groups idea but even so, yeah it would take a swap of textures but there's another complication involved. We have to make sure they're obviously different enough, and that will get more difficult as more groups are added (Also there are the Mercenaries if they're included)

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    This is a suggestion made with the intention of being exclusive to Heroes, so I didn't really thought of that.
    Could be a new room that has special kind of training (Or if we we go with Elites only, then it should be similar to Keeper Elites)
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!