Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alternate Food Rooms: Feast Hall and Resteraunt.

Default Alternate Food Rooms: Feast Hall and Resteraunt.

Hello fellow dungeon dwellers, here are a few idea's I had for alternate feeding rooms. The idea was that certain creatures would prefer certain ways of feeding, aswell as to add more variety to the rooms available in a dungeon. More savage/primative creatures would prefer the raw chickens of the Hatchery, while many humanoid creatures would prefer the cooked, haunces of meat and stews of the Feast Hall. The most elite and sophisticated creatures could opt to only dine at a fine resteraunt like room, creatures such as the Dark Angel and Vampire, with creatures like the Warlock preferring this feeding room aswell when it is available. These idea's may seem frivelous, but I feel it would add a bit more variety to the appearence of a Dungeon.

FEAST HALL
    The Feast Hall is where most humanoid creatures come to fill their bellies and for some light entertainment. It resembles a large hall with opens flames and tables. Things like haunches of meat and roasted boars and other animals on rotating spits dot the walls and interior tiles.

FURNITURE

Table
    Simple table that seats 4 creatures.

Feast Pit (5x5)
    A large pit where slaves fight for entertainment. It is serrounded by a circular table and stools allowing creatures to feast and view blood sport at the same time.

Booth Table (Wall)
    A booth built into the wall that houses a small table for 2 creatures.

Roasting Spit (Wall)
    An open flame with a dead Pig or other creature roasting over it.

Cooking Pot (Wall)
    A large cooking pot over a flame.

RESTERAUNT
    The Resteraunte is where creatures with finer tastes come to enjoy a fine meal and some wine and champagne, or perhaps a glass of virgins blood... The more sophisticated and powerful minions, such as Vampires and Dark Angels, will tolerate nothing less than the finest luxury.

FURNITURE

Fine Table
    A finely decorated table that seats 4 creatures. A grey table cloth covers the table with fine silver plates and cutlery set out, and a skeletal hand clutching a skull with a candle on its head as the centerpeice.

Decorative Statue
    The room is dotted with fine statues depicting some perticularly evil being or an important occult or religious icon or entity.

Fountain of Blood
    A Fountain of Blood. Vampires may fill their glasses from this, while other creature will just admite it. Not required for Vampires to feed.

Booth Table (Wall)
    A small table set into a booth in the wall that seats 2 creatures.

Chandelier (Ceiling)
    One or more Chandeliers made of bone and skulls, lit with candles hang from the cieling.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: Alternate Food Rooms: Feast Hall and Resteraunt.

I loled.

But on a more serious note, no. The Hatchery is all we need. There's no need for two, or even three rooms with the same purpose. (Another reason why there are Combat Pit haters, but it is also has other issues)
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Leveling is a feature that deserves to be more complicated than drop creatures in training til 10. Dk2s leveling was its best improvement and feature. It refined it very well and made it more depth to it. I know you aren't attacking it, but I said it anyway.

That said, if people want training rooms that train all the way to level 10 it can be done easily. Using DK 2 editor you can make maps with level 10 training rooms... if we get our powerful editor than all maps can be customized. We can have versions Eversmile with DK1 gameplay exactly and tirelessly replicated. Same for Dk 2. We could even have both gameplay types next to each other equally. Who knows?

On topic now. The food system isn't as much of a mechanic as leveling... I personally think that if you want to try improve the eating system, even though it works well as is, multiple rooms perhaps aren't the best way to go about it. Too much space, too hard for efficient dungeon design and too much effort... especially with three.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Quote Originally Posted by MeinCookie View Post
    Leveling is a feature that deserves to be more complicated than drop creatures in training til 10. Dk2s leveling was its best improvement and feature. It refined it very well and made it more depth to it. I know you aren't attacking it, but I said it anyway.

That said, if people want training rooms that train all the way to level 10 it can be done easily. Using DK 2 editor you can make maps with level 10 training rooms... if we get our powerful editor than all maps can be customized. We can have versions Eversmile with DK1 gameplay exactly and tirelessly replicated. Same for Dk 2. We could even have both gameplay types next to each other equally. Who knows?

On topic now. The food system isn't as much of a mechanic as leveling... I personally think that if you want to try improve the eating system, even though it works well as is, multiple rooms perhaps aren't the best way to go about it. Too much space, too hard for efficient dungeon design and too much effort... especially with three.
    Jeez... don't tell me I have to create a new thread for the Training Room VS Combat Pit too. You evil little Cookie! Ah screw it, might as well change this topic to Training Room VS Combat Pit cause that's where this is going... and also this suggestion is hopeless too. Very well, we do battle, Cookie of Evil! Ready your armor!

: The Combat Pit was cheap. And I intend a pun, wha ha ha. You pay no money to train, it costs 750 gold per tile. That ain't much more than those rooms for book nerds. You train faster and to level 8. What kind of stuff is that? And it attracts those evil wanna-be Hero Knights, the most broken Creature in Dungeon Keepeer. Oh and speaking of three in which you stated in the end of your last message, (Or "Post", we Knights cannot keep up with this technology uprising!) I do recall a suggestion that was a way to train Creatures to Level 10, but it was very expensive and dangerous. That kind of danger and expense made it fair! Now if only I could remember the name...

Tesonu is napping!

I strangely like this idea. I've always though that not all creatures like chicken.

However, I don't think that having all three will particularly be welcome to some. I'd be happy to do it, because I'm awesome like that.

A few ways I could think of is perhaps just scrapping the hatchery all together. Or, make upgradeable rooms, which I don't think I've seen yet suggested yet. Like hatchery is a basic room, provides mediocre health, happiness and hunger. Feast Hall, is the next step and and costs more to upgrade to and improves stats better. Lastly, is the Restaurant, it improves stats even better, but it is very expensive.

This upgradeable idea doesn't just apply to the hatchery, it could apply to the lair, and whatever else you guys wanna go crazy on.

TL,DR; Crappy ideas.

The scrapping the Hatchery made my cry. :C

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyoitsukikage View Post
    I've always though that not all creatures like chicken.
    They don't...

He prefers eggs...

He prefers pancakes...

Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Well everyone seems to think that the Black Knights, so evil and deadly, won't feature in WftO... without even effort to redesign or any real effort on its behalf. It goes they way of dodo and the biplane. Saying that the Combat Pit will bring forth their kind is thus a meaningless argument.

As for it being "Cheap"... I submit to you , sir, that money is cheap... it is not the most valuable currency in DK, and i am not speaking of Mana. They greatest currency of DK is manpower, keeping up your force strength and keeping up the strength of your high creatures. Money is cheap, Mana is cheap, Lives of your creatures are not. When training in the Combat Pit their is always the chance that you will lose them. It isn't like the "safe" whimsy little TR where creatures suddenly become pro killing machines without ever putting their life on the line once. Does money buy skill, sir?! It does not!
    Last edited by MeinCookie; October 6th, 2010 at 11:09.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

As I understand it creatures are rather disorganised beings that have been forced to live on the edge of society, so they can't exactly acquire a taste for very many things without being slain and stuffed by the local taxidermy society. So what ever they have been eating is either each other, moss and fungal growth ion bloom behind their ears, or wondering heroes and animals which is very rare I would imagine. I would believe this is one of the reasons they might come to the keepers. since there is often more food than any creature has probably seen in one place for years. Their is also the fact that the Keepers seem hell bent of world domination, so there is plenty of possibility for expanding their pallets along the way.

These rooms do sort of lean towards the more Simulation part of WftO in terms of gameplay, kind of like something you would find in Simtower or Startopia (which is in a lot of ways is the closest a game, in resent years, has come to a Dungeon Keeper successor, though isn't still not close enough) where everyone that enters your structure is mostly there to visit it.

Character wise, the Keepers don't really seem like the kind of evil lord to "highly recommend ze stake for monsieur and ze duck for mademoiselle".

Sorry if this is just stating the obvious :P

Also would the gents/ladies who are talking about the Training Room vs Combat pit issue, please retire to the Training thread for further discussion.
    Last edited by A New Room; October 6th, 2010 at 22:08.
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you areā€¦"

Okay, seriously, I can't stop laughing here.

FUCKING FEAST HALLS. AND FUCKING RESTAURANTS. IN A FUCKING DUNGEON.

Seriously, I'm laughing myself to tears over this.

In this game we're playing in dungeons, not in AD 200 Rome.

The Awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    Okay, seriously, I can't stop laughing here.

FUCKING FEAST HALLS. AND FUCKING RESTAURANTS. IN A FUCKING DUNGEON.

Seriously, I'm laughing myself to tears over this.

In this game we're playing in dungeons, not in AD 200 Rome.
    Now you understand my reaction.

Tesonu is napping!