Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can't install Dungeon Keeper

Default Can't install Dungeon Keeper

Hello people, you may remember me I joined this forum... or the older one I dunno if it's an completely new server or not but I had to recreate my account here.

Now I have a new computer, just got it a couple of weeks ago and it's Windows 7.

Anyways I cannot install Dungeon Keeper 1. I place the disk in and the small box with options to open with shows up so I click on Run Setup. And with Windfows 7 that box that says allow permission for this to continue and I say yes.

Then nothing, nada. Nothing shows up ever, I go to computer then click it again the DK icon and the box comes up again and saying yes, however nothing shows up. The mouse shows it's waiting for something but then goes to normal.

Does this mean I cannot run Dungeon Keeper with Windows 7? Am I doomed forever not to play one of my oldest favorite computer games?

Or could it be related to the disc? Afterall I got this when I was 10, and I am 22 now. Looking at the disc there are quite a bit of scratches on it. (It's been with some other discs as well but I don't know how it got so scratched, but I used to play it alot).

Either way I think I am screwed, no Dungeon Keeper sold anymore and I have no idea how to use Ebay and it just seems risky for a faulty one.

Default Re: Can't install Dungeon Keeper

Can you look at the contents of the disc by going into My Computer, then right clicking your drive to open it? If you can try looking for the install exe, and clicking that. If that doesn't work then try copying the contents of the disc to your hard drive, then running the install there.

Other than that I'm afraid I don't have anything else to suggest, except giving KeeperFX a try. Since it is "quite a lot like" [cough]is actually[/cough] Dungeon Keeper 1, and runs a lot better on Windows 7.
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"

The first part still won't work. I was going to do the second part but since I do have Windows 7 maybe I should give KeeperFX a try. So do I download the DK 37 patches along with the full verison? (Patch a,b and c)

Download KeeperFX 0.37 Complete, 0.37a, 0.37b, 0.37c Patchs. Extract them in that order, then if all goes right play DK.

If you have any other problems consult the included keeperfx_readme, and look for the Troubleshooting section.
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

In fact, you don't need to install patch 0.37a and 0.37b. Only version 0.37c is sufficient.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Okay hope people will still be reading this because I need help still.

Alright I finally got around to downloading Keeperfx and after waiting 2 hours I extracted the files and placed them into my Documents. Now I will try to explain this to the best I can. When looking at it all the files were seperate, there were folders for DK all over the place. I tried going into the Keeper.exe and it loaded, sort of to where it looked like some graphic messed up (No it has nothing to do with my graphics card, I can play Sims 3 and GTA IV very fine on this computer). But then it went to the desktop and said nothing, just got out of it.

So I created a folder called Dungeon Keeper and placed all the DK related files and folders into the folder. Went into it, would flash some graphic mess up but then go to normakl. I was able to go to the main menu and select maps to play, however anytime I clicked a map it would almost seem to go to a loading screen then exit out of it and go to the desktop with no message.

I don't know what's going on or why, but what am I doing wrong? Anyone know? Maybe it has to do with the folders but I placed them all in the DK folder. Unless the Keeper.exe is supposed to go in a different folder. (The install instructions wasn't too clear, just said decompress wherever). Please help

Edit: Rereading the readme (And since I do have Windows 7) maybe it's this part that I need to deal with: Q: Game stops when loading a map. LOG file says:
    Error: setup_screen_mode: Unable to setup screen resolution
    MODE_640_400_8 (mode 10)
    A: The problem is that your drivers can't support 640x400 mode.
    Change the resolution config lines in KEEPERFX.CFG into:
    FRONTEND_RES=MODE_640_480_8 MODE_640_480_8 MODE_640_480_8
    INGAME_RES=MODE_640_480_8

So I went into my DK folder and looked for a file called Keeperfx.cfg

However I came to another problem, the file I try to open says Window can't open it, because I guess I don't have whatever it is needed to open it. What do I need to open thiis file with and edit the resolution thing to find out if it will work? (I do have Notepad, Word etc if I can do that). It also says the internet will open it up with the right thing or whatever,

So what should I try to open it with or is this not the problem? (I should have left DK in the case. Instead it was with a bunch of other discs, they were safe with a lid but still).
    Last edited by Dungeon_Master; October 21st, 2010 at 15:18.

Just opening it in Notepad should work, make your changes to the Keeperfx.cfg then save it. Then it should work

I did it! It works now I loaded a map and it actually loaded! Even thought its currently 12:37am right now I am going to test it out more to make sure everything's good, but hopefully I can finally have Dungeon Keeper again.

Hi guys. I'm having the same problem here with windows 7 home premium. I've just downloaded 0.40 (cos i couldn't get the earlier ones). Put the files from the cd onto my desktop, followed the instructions. Click start game, up comes:

Setting up game failed.
    This error in 'LbBullfrogMain' makes the program unable to continue.
    See 'keeperfx.log' for details.

I've opened the file in Notepad. It reads:

Dungeon Keeper FX ver 0.4.0.386 (standard release)
    LOG CREATED @ 17:19:01 12-04-2012

Sync: LbMouseChangeMoveRatio: New ratio 256x256
    Sync: CPU GenuineIntel type 0 family 6 model 7 stepping 2 features afebfbff
    Sync: PhysicalMemory 32
    Sync: Memory-demanding features enabled.
    Warning: Config file "keeperfx.cfg" doesn't exist or is too small.
    Error: setup_game: Configuration load error.
    Error: In source LbBullfrogMain:
    2 - Setting up game failed.

The file "keeperfx.cfg" is empty. Complete blank screen.
    None of the troubleshoot tips have anything to help with this.

Any ideas?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Reinstall the game. Did you receive an error message from the launcher?
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...