Thread: Adding Map Help (Skirmish/Multiplayer)

Demon Spawn

Default Adding Map Help (Skirmish/Multiplayer)

Hello there,

I have a small question:

I would like to play a map I downloaded in KeeperFX but I have no idea how to get the map working with an enemy keeper.

What I already tried:

Now I'm not computer illiterate, I took a look at the dungeon keeper official editor manual but it did not help me in any way.
    I could not find the level script that it's talking about (despite opening all files in notepad++) nor did my levels folder contain a levels.txt.
    I made a backup of my levels folder and made a new one, added the custom map and made my own levels.txt and added the line that the guide told me to.
    A few old multiplayer maps still appeared (but when clicked I would enter no game) and there was no flag for the custom map I'm trying to play.
    I also took a look at the other maps and found out they all had a .LOF file and the custom map did not. I made one for the custom map and a flag did appear but when I clicked it, it would result in me going into a non-existing map.

I would like it if somebody explained to me how to do this, I tried all I could.
    Thanks in advance.
    I'm trying to play the custom map Dark Sombre River.

Default Re: Adding Map Help (Skirmish/Multiplayer)

Ok, so here's an explanation:

HOW TO PLAY CUSTOM MAPS FROM lubie.org IN KEEPERFX

1. Download the map from here:
    http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk1_maps.php
    2. Extract the map to "levels" folder inside KeeperFX.
    3. Open KeeperFX, click "Free play levels" (this option may be called "Deeper Dungeons" in some languages.
    4. Select your map from the list, and play.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Q: What does "extract" mean? What are these ZIP files?
    A: These are archives. You can extract them in any archive tool; Windows has a build-in extraction tool, but I recommend using 7z:
    http://www.7-zip.org/
    Extracting means copying the files stored inside ZIP file into separate files, stored outside of the ZIP.

Q: Where is my KeeperFX levels folder?
    A: I don't know. If you have KeeperFX, you must have extracted (or installed) it somewhere. You've selected a place to extract by yourself. If you can't remember, try looking at "properties" of the shortcut you're using to run KeeperFX.

Q: There's no "Free play levels" nor "Deeper Dungeons" button in the game.
    A: Make sure you're using KeeperFX, not original DK. Also, check if you have the latest version of KeeperFX.

Q: The map does not appear in the "Free play levels" menu.
    A: Make sure the files form ZIP file are inside "levels" folder of your KeeperFX. Make sure they are stored directly there, not in any subfolder. Make sure the file with "LIF" or "LOF" extension is there (ie. "MAP00500.LIF"). If there is a LIF file for your map, the level will appear. On any further problems, try debug version and check if the LOG file shows a reason why your LIF wasn't loaded.

Q: The map is on the list, but when I click on it, empty level is started (there's literally nothing on the level) and I hear that I'm defeated.
    A: This means the LIF file is where it should be, but some of the other map files can't be located. Make sure you have all of them, especially SLB, TNG and TXT files. Make sure that level number inside LIF file (open it with text editor) is correct (corresponds to names of files). Also, make sure the level number is lower than 32767 - only levels up to this number are supported. Finally, make sure you're running KeeperFX in latest version.

Q: Why the enemy keeper isn't doing anything when I'm playing the map?
    A: You've probably downloaded a multiplayer map. In multiplayer maps, enemy keepers are not set up as computers.
    You either have to add computer player configuration to the script, or make that map show in multiplayer menu. See the questions below.

Q: How can I change multiplayer map into ordinary "Free play" map?
    A: open the TXT file for your level (ie. "MAP00500.TXT") and add lines to set up existing enemy players as computers:
    Code:
    COMPUTER_PLAYER(PLAYER1,0)
    COMPUTER_PLAYER(PLAYER2,0)
    COMPUTER_PLAYER(PLAYER3,0)
    Q: How can I make a map show in "Multiplayer" instead of "Free play levels"?
    A: The LIF file can only be used to put a map into "Free play levels". It doesn't have enough options to make a map appear in multiplayer.
    So to make it visible there, you must use another file - LOF file. The old LIF file MUST BE DELETED! You cannot have both LIF and LOF for one map - that would confuse the game.
    You can create the LOF in any text editor. This is how it should look like:
    Code:
    ; KeeperFX Level Overview File (LOF)
    KIND = MULTI
    NAME_TEXT = <Name of the map, the same that was in LIF>
    ENSIGN_POS = <x> <y>
    ENSIGN_ZOOM = <x> <y>
    PLAYERS = <number of keepers>
    OPTIONS =
    AUTHOR = Anonymous
    DESCRIPTION = Map downloaded from keeoer.lubie.org
    DATE = 2010-01-01
    The coordinates <x> <y> are position on the multiplayer land; <x> is ranged 160..1120, while <y> is 120..840. Both ENSIGN_ commands should have identical coordinates. The <number of keepers> option should include human player, so for example if there's one enemy, value should be "2".
    Examples of LOF files can be found in "levels" folder of keeperFX - for example:
    Code:
    ; KeeperFX Level Overview File (LOF)
    KIND = MULTI
    NAME_TEXT = DD Multi 10
    ENSIGN_POS = 478 520
    ENSIGN_ZOOM = 478 520
    PLAYERS = 3
    OPTIONS = 
    AUTHOR = Bullfrog
    DESCRIPTION = Original Deeper Dungeons multiplayer level
    DATE = 1997-09-15
    Last edited by mefistotelis; December 20th, 2010 at 07:51.

Demon Spawn

Thank you but,

That way I end up with no enemy keeper. I read that I have to make it an multiplayer map in order for it to have an enemy keeper. I just can´t make that work.

Quote Originally Posted by Airandius View Post
    That way I end up with no enemy keeper. I read that I have to make it an multiplayer map in order for it to have an enemy keeper. I just can´t make that work.
    Just added explanation to first post.

Demon Spawn

ah that did the trick, thanks a lot

Imp

hey,
    i made my own map (saved it on 9999)
    i get the flag on the multiplayer map but ever time i want to play it i get Woodly rhym or something form original campaing...
    i am strarting to get really pissed of, coudl you help?

Quote Originally Posted by Driese View Post
    hey,
    i made my own map (saved it on 9999)
    i get the flag on the multiplayer map but ever time i want to play it i get Woodly rhym or something form original campaing...
    i am strarting to get really pissed of, coudl you help?
    Use a map number lower than 255. I'm fairly sure you get Woodly Rhyme because the level value overflows (considering 9999 mod 256 is 15, which is Woodly Rhyme's level number).

Imp

m8 i love you