Thread: Imps work improvement

Ghost

Default Imps work improvement

Figure we have 10 Imps. We click 4 times in the Imps icon at the creatures panel to take 4 Imps, and we release they in front of gold to extract it. OK, Imps numer 1,2,3,4, are working extracting gold, if now we take again 4 Imps from the creatures panel, we will take these 4 Imps again! So they will stop extracting gold. It would be better to take OTHERS 4 Imps to let these continue extracting gold. So, I suggest that the algorithm to take creatures from the creatures panel were rotative, so, if we take again 4 Imps, now we will take Imps number 5,6,7,8.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

Default Re: Imps work improvement

Clicking the icon of creatures picks them up in order of highest level.

Honestly, I don't think changing this would lead to improvement. Although in your gold example this behaviour is bad, there are also situations where it is useful. Example: When taking over enemy territory, you need to be able to pick up imps very quickly in case of traps or enemy deciding to drop his creatures on them. In this case, picking up exactly the imps you picked up earlier through interface is very useful.

That said, I think saw some code implying that pick up order is reversed is shift or ctrl is held, I'm not sure though as I've never used it.
    Last edited by p_hansson; January 1st, 2011 at 15:16.

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by P_Hansson View Post
    Honestly, I don't think changing this would lead to improvement. Although in your gold example this behaviour is bad, there are also situations where it is useful. Example: When taking over enemy territory, you need to be able to pick up imps very quickly in case of traps or enemy deciding to drop his creatures on them. In this case, picking up exactly the imps you picked up earlier through interface is very useful.

That said, I think saw some code implying that pick up order is reversed is shift or ctrl is held, I'm not sure though as I've never used it.
    That's true, as you said, depending of the situation (extracting gold for example or being attacked from the enemy) reversing the order would be better or worse. As you said, I have tried holding alt or control key while picking up a creature in creatures panel but it doesn't work... If you find how to do that, please tell us. THANKS!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Max Hayman PSN ID: Ballwinkle XFIRE ID: elmaxaman Steam ID: ballwinkle

Hurrmm, i never actually knew it picked them up in order of level! well you learn a new thing every day. If pushing contol picked them up on order or not busy that could be useful.

Ghost

If creatures are Idle/working/fighting they get placed in a different category so that's not a problem. But you can't pickup the hight idle creature for example if you click the icon it just picks the highest overal creature, that might be nice to put under the control/alt key. If you click on an idle creature in the tab holding control it will pick the highest level for instance.

Or with imps hold control and you will only pickup imps that aren't mining (by that I mean they are actualy digging and not walking to something) for instance.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Quote Originally Posted by jomalin View Post
    That's true, as you said, depending of the situation (extracting gold for example or being attacked from the enemy) reversing the order would be better or worse. As you said, I have tried holding alt or control key while picking up a creature in creatures panel but it doesn't work... If you find how to do that, please tell us. THANKS!
    Holding Shift key while clicking on the creature's icon picks the creatures with the LOWEST levels. That way, you're sure that you don't take the highest ones that are already working.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    Holding Shift key while clicking on the creature's icon picks the creatures with the LOWEST levels. That way, you're sure that you don't take the highest ones that are already working.
    I have tried it and it doesn't work. I had all mi Imps at level 2, I created a new one (level 1), and pressing SHIFT or not, in the Imps icon in creatures panel, it picks up allways the same Imp with level 1. Could you try it and tell me how to do that?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Are you sure you're clicking on the creature's ICON and not on the yellow NUMBERS?

I just tried and it works perfectly fine. I can record a movie of that if you want.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Wink Re: Imps work improvement

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    Are you sure you're clicking on the creature's ICON and not on the yellow NUMBERS?

I just tried and it works perfectly fine. I can record a movie of that if you want.
    Hi, I' new here, thanks for the effort

I've just installed KeeperFX, being an old DK fan still drooling over this game - and I right away noticed that the possibility for picking up low creatures by holding shift really indeed IS missing, and I really miss it as it's always been an important part of my playing DK. Should I put it on the issues list ?

Besides from that it all looks great here so far (v. 0.40)